1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Awesome
17,064 Posts
Do you have a point? Am I supposed to care what leverage Trump uses to get allies to start acting like one?

Also, it's a Washington Post article citing unnamed sources. Do you actually believe that is credible? Even a little? Intelligent people do not.

The secret threat last week, first reported by The Washington Post, which cited unnamed European officials

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do we even import any cars from the UK?? Maybe Germany with the VW and BMW but I dont think Land Rover is even a British car company anymore. I think its owned by Ford...
Last figure that comes to mind is around <15%> of our motor vehicle exports are to the US

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a point? Am I supposed to care what leverage Trump uses to get allies to start acting like one?

Also, it's a Washington Post article citing unnamed sources. Do you actually believe that is credible? Even a little? Intelligent people do not.
Given Trumps past use of economic leverage and a U.K. Prime Minister not in a position to take on any kind of economic woe I would call this one close to factual.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
Trump apparently threatened the UK with 25% car tariffs unless it agreed to accuse Iran of breaking nuclear deal. I don’t find it hard to believe Boris the Cuckservative would fold like a wet paper bag in a thunderstorm. Eagerly awaiting all the comments on realpolitik and the such.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-nuclear-deal-france-germany-eu-a9286496.html
Good for Trump.

More important though is your point that Boris would "fold like a wet paper bag in a thunderstorm". I find that folding a dry paper bag to be far easier than attempting to fold one that's wet. Add in a thunderstorm and It would be extremely difficult if not downright impossible.

If Boris wants to fold paper bags, someone should advise him to do it indoors.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lot of words

apparently

reported

unnamed

secret

sources
Well you do have a point it could be as fake as all those apparent, reported stories from unnamed sources speculating that the Clintons had people killed. :D:

Which is precisely why I used “apparently”.

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Well you do have a point it could be as fake as all those apparent, reported stories from unnamed sources speculating that the Clintons had people killed. :D:

Which is precisely why I used “apparently”.
Two dumbs don't make a smart, though.

·
Awesome
17,064 Posts
Given Trumps past use of economic leverage and a U.K. Prime Minister not in a position to take on any kind of economic woe I would call this one close to factual.
of course you would call it factual, your a TDS moron who believes anything that sounds negative towards trump, rather than finding actual factual evidence.. you're driven by emotions like any other irrational lefty

now, i would suggest you find a better source than a story published by washington post citing "unnamed sources" or quit wasting everyones time with such baseless drivel to springboard your desire to **** and moan

·
Retrofitted Sheeple
29,775 Posts
of course you would call it factual, your a TDS moron who believes anything that sounds negative towards trump, rather than finding actual factual evidence.. you're driven by emotions like any other irrational lefty

now, i would suggest you find a better source than a story published by washington post citing "unnamed sources" or quit wasting everyones time with such baseless drivel to springboard your desire to **** and moan
Does this sound negative to you? Why does using economic pressure to force an ally to go along with political goals sound negative to you? I'm sure if Obama used economic pressure to force the UK to go along with the Iran nuclear deal in the first place, you wouldn't have batted an eye.

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Your reading comprehension is lacking, Trumps use of economic pressure is not an unknown nor would it be an unusual political move anywhere else. The fault or weakness is with Boris if he actually buckled under this apparent threat which I believe to be largely true given the initial reluctance shown by the U.K. government to get behind Trumps decision.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,676 Posts
realpolitik
These two clash in private, but they really need each other.

Trump should have done this with a private phone call, but anyone can see he has to be gun shy of that process now.

That's a shame because it is his most effective tool to get realpolitik done.

Boris needs to cave on this demand and Trump needs to work out a trade deal that rivals or exceeds what England had staying in the EU.

America needs to see a lot more Brit products on the retail shelves. It certainly won't be a quality issue.

We need a tariff free Brit cheese and beer export section in every US supermarket. Let Budweiser and Wisconsin whine all they want. The damn dairy farmers here have been on the dole for ages anyway and IMBEV is no longer US loyal.

Brent Crude should be merged into the US light sweet crude system. It's just as good as West Texas Intermediate for petrochem refining purposes. A feedstock merger gives redundancy into a market slowly weaning itself off that nasty high sulfur product from the Middle East. Last thing we want is Nigerian and Venezuelan product dominating this critical market for nonfuel petrochem needs in a future where oil is about products, not fuel.

Maybe it's time for Brit automotive and machinery start to merge interests to combat German dominance in the premium market. Lord knows that Detroit only makes trash when left to its own designs.

America and the UK are natural trade partners by culture with mirroring product objectives. Premium quality refined goods. Where we once competed we both fight Euro and Asian competition now. We both have considerable brain trusts and innovation. We have culturally similar viewpoints on intellectual capital. We run the premier banking and stock markets. We treat each other as cultural and intellectual equals. Any scaling discrepancies are only relative to population count needs.

Boris needs to suck it up and side with Trump on Iran because it really is a lousy deal with Iran. And Trump needs to leap heroically to England's defense to maintain their export market. Brexit needs a soft landing. What it costs the the US consumer will be made up in value added quality, compared to cheap Chinese crap. It's OK to pay more if you get more.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts