Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the scenerio ,(in my case its all to true).You have an elderly wheel chair bound parent who needs frequently doctor visits. Heres my least equipped most out of pocket situitation I can be in. Its a clinic ,so no wepons (legally) ,I am a ways away from my BOV ,my MOM has limited mobility (Bug out wheel chair) and all this 100 miles from home threw 20 miles of suburb /city sprawl .A Thanks in advance for any suggestions .

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
let me get this your at a clinic with you parents one of whom is weelchair bound 100 mi away from your house and have 20 mi of city in between you?

best advice find a closer clinic failing that i would recomend get a pocket police scanner a current city map mark location of clinic and if you need to get out fast listen to the scanner they youll be able to tell what streets or areas of town are now hotspots because thats were theyll be sending the police an fire dept if your mom is able and your driving she can use the map another thing is have primary secondary ect routs already drawn through town just in case u need to be like crap rioting on 1st st mom look at blue line were to

if i have your situation wrong leme know in a little more detail because your description is a little vauge and ill help best i can

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Changing clinics not an option.just one parent with limited mobility.From leaving the clinic parking lot its 20 miles till I clear downtown and suburbia and start getting in some more open areas ,then 80 more miles to home base.I already have a scanner in my bov ,and I may have to get a hand held to keep on me.I carry a shoulder bag with a mag lite and leather man (thats even stretching the no wepons rule ),some energy bars and always keep a couple of liters of water with me. I always make sure where exits and the like are . Anything I am missing?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
a map of the city so you can navigate around potential hotspots when you hear the cops or fd on the scanner maby have pre planned routs marked in diff colors on the map in case one or two are having riots and such so you can safely go to another rout might be a good idea to make friends in that city in the event you absolutly cannot get out you can at least go to there place potentially and not be out on the street just an idea

·
Crazy old man
1,287 Posts
Dog; I understand where your at, I have the same problem. You can do like I do, keep a bug out bag with me at all times. In my BOB is a 1911/w holster,3 days food for 3, meds and clothes/w money. My BOL is 275 miles from here, and when they go to Dr. visits we take their minivan not my trooper.:cool:

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I figured between parents /kids somebodys always got to go to the docs' so this might be a problem for other folks . I have the flip map and the gazateer for my state so I have maps pretty well covered .I have even thought about using the R&R tracks for a bugout route .I guess my biggest Aw s%[email protected] is in a SHTF grid lock had do you evac your sorta mobile MOM.Now I thinking survival rickshaw, game cart wheel chair ?? I have considered a van camper set up (I have a 1 ton dodge van now ) but in gridlock its just gonna be more stuff left behind if you have to bug on foot.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
I'd really explore ways to change the clinic. In my travels across the US, from coast to coast, I found many small towns with clinics, assisted living, etc. catering to the elderly. All over the place. Some of these towns, themselves, are aging. And they're a good place to be if you're old too. I'm thinking of a couple in particular in my own state. I'd get the parent to assisted living at one of them, and get myself 10-40 acres about 15 minutes out into the country. At least, that's my plan in another decade or so.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
If you don't mind saying, why do they need to go to the doctor so frequently? Is it for anything the doctor may be willing to show you what to do or how to do it if your fears become reality?

·
Padre of the holy weld.
502 Posts
Well my friend, I'd say get a locker at a bus stop, gym, whatever, Hell maybe even a small storage unit. Throw some extra gear in there just in case. As close to the clinic as possible
I might suggest you bump up your EDC. And another thing I suggest is a pen knife. Even if they don't allow weapons there you can still sneak in a pen knife.
Practice fighting with really improvised weapons. Coffee mug, pen, nail file, mini mag light, belt. Whatever you see at the clinic think "how can I use that as a weapon."
I hope this helps.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Mom is a WW2 vet so she goes to the nearest Vetrans hospital,shes 88 so she has frequent vists .I have been trying to come up with a place to make a cache,guess I am going to have to get out and do some foot work and see what I can find.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Sorry, I'm still not sure what the problem is( I need more coffee).....is it that you have to drive so much? Is it that in case the SHTF, you're so far from home? Is it that you have to drive thru a city? In a shtf, driving thru the city is out of the question. Why not plan on BI at the clinic ( what better place to be)? Maybe have a storage unit cache nearby.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I am thinking worst case SHTF .As long as I can get to my BOV and get started I would probably be in good shape.Its that if for what ever reason I have to bug on foot I am going to have to figure some way to move my Mom .I have considered buggin at the clinic and that might be good short term but I would still have to bug at some point After her last trip I am hoping we are good till after the 1st of the year.

·
On Point
2,559 Posts
Depending upon the severity of the SHTF scenario, and friends and family are unable to get you out of the area, you may want to apropriate a motorcycle/trike and leave the area by that means. Motorcycle/trike can squeeze by traffic jams.

Another option is get to know any militias operating in your clinic's area and near your home. Most will help ppl.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Mad ,i had to laugh ,its been a running joke for last 30 yrs or so ;getting my Mom on a motorcycle;.I have rode starting late 70s and still ride now when time allows.So if I can get my Mom on the back of a bike I will REALLY know the .SHHTF.Thanks for the feed back everyone .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts