Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i read (on eattheweeds.com) that all thistles in cirsium and carduus genera are edible. how do i go about finding out if a certain thistle-looking plant is in those genera? what distinctive characteristics do they have?
is there a sort of rule of thumb for edible thistles or am i going to have to learn to tell each thistle apart?
i appreciate any help i can get on this, thanks :p

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
There is no rule of thumb. What you have to do is find out which ones grow in your area. Usually there are only two or three. Generally they have a shaving brush blossom and spines that will not soften when cooked.

Don't confuse them with sow thistles, which are a sonchus, not a true thistle. Sonchus, however, are edible as well.

Oh, and thanks for the plug. Eattheweeds is my site.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i better get learning my local thistles then :D:
i live in ontario, canada. are there any thistles that live in my neck of the woods that are easy to identify?
i tried what i'm pretty sure was a bull thistle. i identified it by the bristles on top of the leaf, which i read were distintive, but i've looked at other thistles which have different leaf shapes (from what i could remember) and they had very sparse bristles also.
it seems like the differences between thistles are very subtle :xeye:

and no problem for mentioning your site. i've gone there so often, it's the least i could do! :D:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i don't suppose you could point in the direction to an online source that could teach me to identify thistles. for some reason i'm having a lot of trouble finding websites that will tell me which tell-tale characteristics each thistle has :xeye:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts