Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
MortarMaggot
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would have thought this a bit crazy 1-2 weeks ago, but I wonder if either companies stop sending trucks or the govt. shuts down interstate trucking any time soon, especially if things get worse, which they probably will? Maybe a lot of truckers just stop driving & try to ride it out at home. So many shelves are already bare, I can only imagine what will happen if there is a complete or nearly complete stoppage of interstate trucking. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,413 Posts
Unlikely government would shut down interstate TRUCKING, as it’s essential.

More than likely would be a shut down of regular citizen interstate travel.

We’re not there yet, however in this situation, more than likely will happen. Either nationally, or regionally.

Watch, be mindful of where your going and why. Have alternates.

Just lost my Dad suddenly overnight, so am headed to South Carolina this evening. Mom says likely a cardiac event, and that he didn’t suffer. Totally unrelated to Covid.

Had a very long conversation with my Dad yesterday, just normal stuff, but we had agreed our family trip to meet up in Yellowstone in late spring would likely have to be moved to a later date.

Have return trip booked, and keeping an open mind as to how my Mom will be doing as to return on those flights, or extend out. They have a very good group of close friends, some of which came over and stayed with her while EMS & Myrtle beach police were at the house.

Huge kudos to MB EMS & Police, whom also stayed with her most of the night.

Anyways, alternate plan to come home if flights are fudged, is to drive my dads SUV back. Rather than shipping it. Several general routes already sorted.

·
Registered
328 Posts

We’re not there yet, however in this situation, more than likely will happen. Either nationally, or regionally.

Just lost my Dad suddenly overnight, so am headed to South Carolina this evening. Mom says likely a cardiac event, and that he didn’t suffer. Totally unrelated to Covid.

Had a very long conversation with my Dad yesterday, just normal stuff, but we had agreed our family trip to meet up in Yellowstone in late spring would likely have to be moved to a later date.

Have return trip booked, and keeping an open mind as to how my Mom will be doing as to return on those flights, or extend out. They have a very good group of close friends, some of which came over and stayed with her while EMS & Myrtle beach police were at the house.

Anyways, alternate plan to come home if flights are fudged, is to drive my dads SUV back. Rather than shipping it. Several general routes already sorted.
So sorry for your loss Camel. What a ride back to CA from SC, that's for sure.

Should be doable to get back uaing only side roads in what, 2 weeks?

If the airlines flop, you got this buddy :thumb:

·
Wannabe Mountain Hermit
13,811 Posts

Soo sorry to hear about your dad. Thoughts and prayers for you, your mother and other family members. Will be praying for you for safe travel out there and back.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Sincere condolences to you and your mother and best wishes for safe travel.

·
Republic of Texas
1,194 Posts
Condolences.

On the topic of trucking, my husband is an OTR driver. His company has not even sent out a memo or anything addressing this. In fact, he's reaching out today to ask THEM.

What you will likely see is drivers refusing to drive/getting sick themselves and/or just going home. It's taking everything I have no to do not to tell him to come home.

·
MortarMaggot
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just switching the T.V. back & forth as I was mainly watching our state basketball tournaments. They announced they were suspending all tournaments, boys & girls class A & B. Then when I was watching court TV a Fla. judge announced that all jury trials have been suspended until March 30th, so that's just over 2 weeks. I don't know what they think will change between now & then.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I'm guessing the big problem will be getting loads,as the supply chain if getting fubar.They may be getting to sit at terminals for a while,but can't think of any reason to impede them.Just the opposite.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
It would be huge if trucking were stopped because of the just in time system retailers use now. Talk about empty shelves now. Lots of people really would starve. I expect the Nat Guard and even regular military would be driving trucks if there were something like a national trucker strike.

·
MortarMaggot
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It would be huge if trucking were stopped because of the just in time system retailers use now. Talk about empty shelves now. Lots of people really would starve. I expect the Nat Guard and even regular military would be driving trucks if there were something like a national trucker strike.
I could see that happening. For how slow this thing has unfolded, at least for those of us who have been watching for 2+ months now, things are suddenly picking up steam. Wife & I were just saying we haven't felt this level of impending doom electricity in the air since 9/11, that's including times there were tornado's touching down in our area.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
My deepest sympathies.

I could see that happening. For how slow this thing has unfolded, at least for those of us who have been watching for 2+ months now, things are suddenly picking up steam. Wife & I were just saying we haven't felt this level of impending doom electricity in the air since 9/11, that's including times there were tornado's touching down in our area.
Pandemics seem to grow geometrically, sometimes even exponentially. China stopped the growth by locking everything down. If that's isn't done, expect things to escalate rapidly.

·
MortarMaggot
3,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My deepest sympathies.

Pandemics seem to grow geometrically, sometimes even exponentially. China stopped the growth by locking everything down. If that's isn't done, expect things to escalate rapidly.
They're culture & their govt. lends itself to being able to lock everyone down without a huge revolt, I just don't know how well it would go over here if they started the thing like they did in China where 1 person per household could leave every 3 days for supplies. They were also locking & welding entire buildings shut so people couldn't leave. Imagine if they try that here, the gunfights would be a lot more dangerous than the corona virus IMO.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,596 Posts
I would have thought this a bit crazy 1-2 weeks ago, but I wonder if either companies stop sending trucks or the govt. shuts down interstate trucking any time soon, especially if things get worse, which they probably will? Maybe a lot of truckers just stop driving & try to ride it out at home. So many shelves are already bare, I can only imagine what will happen if there is a complete or nearly complete stoppage of interstate trucking. Any thoughts?
Yes, lots of thoughts. It might be business as usual. Or we may see minor regional shortages. Or we may see total loss of supply chains. In that latter worst case it could be one or more factors:

It's often said it takes 100 people to make a pencil. That means, lots of companies in many industries employing a lot of people to source the wood, source the graphite, source the brass and rubber. People run the electric grid and water grids. People pump oil from the ground. Auto companies employ a lot of people to build trucks which transport the pencil to the store. People work at the store stocking shelves and checking you out. ANY break in that supply chain, and you don't get a pencil.

So, yes:

* Lack of employees
* Lack of resources
* Closed stores
* Highway robbery

Many things can go wrong.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts