Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Builder
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new vehicle this week!

I spent 6 weeks last winter not being able to drive down my driveway. Problem solved.

Enter the CUCV, TRUCK, CARGO, TACTICAL, 1-1/4 TON, 4x4, M1008 (2320-01-1 23-6827)

But now I have a new problem…..yet another addiction.:xeye: I am looking for my second one as I visit here.

Its bad enough to eat bologna sandwiches for weeks at a time so I can afford ammo, tools and other preps. Now it seems, I need a bigger shop.

The benefits of these things for a prepper are to many to list. But some are:

The actual payload rating is 100 lbs short of 1 ½ tons.
6.2 liter diesel.
Two 1000 CCA batteries.
Two alternators.
24 v starting system.
These things are Cheap! And they are everywhere with very low mileage.
If you know a wrench from a socket, you can work on these things.
All of the manuals are online.

If you are looking for a good 4x4, that you can work on, I completely vote for an M1008 or M1009 (the Blazer version). But be warned, as they say over on Steel Soldiers, the CUCV is a gateway drug to military vehicle collecting.

Attachments

·
Registered
389 Posts
I got one of those too. Already have 33's on it and it will go pretty much any where I want to. And haul anything I need too. Simple, basic, rugged and can run on mixed fuel if you filter it right.

·
Learning
6,734 Posts
I really like those trucks, the biggest issue that I've heard is that because of the gearing in the rear end you cannot go much over 55 MPH in the m1008. However, the m1009 you can go 80 MPH.

I skipped right past the CUCV and got an m35a2!

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
I bought one in January. I had a girl pick it up in Mississippi and drive it back to Ohio for me. I have not had the opportunity to drive it much yet, but I like it
I'll carpet the caba and coat the firewalls to dampen the engine noise and road noise. I bought a class IV reciever hitch and a fold away gooseneck for it. It has low miles and is as you stated, a 55 mph vehicle. It has a new seat and dashpad already. By new I mean different. I think I will like it.
I had an M37. Great fun. Bought it from a municipal auction. New brake cylinders,shoes, lots of new parts. But it was a 52 model and you just could not keep it runninig. easy to work on, but just a project vehicle more or less. But both my sons learned to drive on it.

·
Builder
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I skipped right past the CUCV and got an m35a2!
I am drawing up plans for my new shop I wanted to build anyhow, but the dimensions have changed a little, it now just happens to be (by some coincidence):rolleyes: ....... just the right size for an A2 and a few other things……...shhhhh….

Submitting plan for bids Friday…;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Great choice I have a m1009 and its the perfect bov for me. Look into the solorgizer charger i put one on mine and it not only charges the batteries but conditions them as well, and you know they are not cheap to replace.

·
Registered
22 Posts
what do you do if there is a EMP if you have a m1008 or m1009.
replace the starter and battery and alternator... OR ...???
i like the idea of getting one or 2 of them but i don't like having an automatic that you can't push start???

·
A jarhead that can cook..
862 Posts
what do you do if there is a EMP if you have a m1008 or m1009.
replace the starter and battery and alternator... OR ...???
i like the idea of getting one or 2 of them but i don't like having an automatic that you can't push start???
i hearya i have been wondering what i could do to go entirely mechanical w/ mine short of replacing the engine and such - any thoughts?

·
Builder
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hearya i have been wondering what i could do to go entirely mechanical w/ mine short of replacing the engine and such - any thoughts?
What you have to worry about is the alternators. The voltage regulators and the diode banks are all solid state semiconductors. Also the glow plug controller module. But that can be bypassed with a push button setup really easily. The truck will run with only the drivers side alternator working so if you had to repair/replace just one, it would be that one. Also with the two batteries, it will go a long way without the alt’s charging at all. (depending on other electrical uses….lights, heather, wipers….ect…) I have driven one M1008 over 300 miles without alts working at all starting with full batteries. And about 5 starts. Of course, having a mechanical voltage regulator and a generator would be a great plus!:thumb:

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
Please tell me they don't actually call it "tactical". :D:

I do see them for sale very cheap here. I live near a base. I keep hearing a lot of flack about them, but I can't see what the problem is. They seem like they'd make a danged reliable vehicle overall. As for the gearing, that's easy enough to swap if someone needed to. I changed gearing on my 4x4 just to run bigger tires.

·
Builder
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
what i am worried about is STARTER, since you can't roll it and pop the clutch.
wouldn't an EMP take out the starter??
True that is a disadvantage of the auto transmission. But no, while its been said on here many times, nothing can be really proven until it happens. BUT, what is known is that anything semi conductor would be susceptible to an EMP. The windings in a starter, or a generator would not be affected. The wiring can handle that voltage. What an example? Think of an electric fence: miles of just 18 or 20 gauge wire conducting 20,000 or more volts, all day long, every day, on farms all across the mid-west. It works because it is very high voltage, but almost no amperage, just like an EMP would be.

Yeah MikeK I know… :rolleyes: we’ll just call it Tactikool.:thumb:

·
Just a rock & spear guy
1,333 Posts
If you are looking for a good 4x4, that you can work on, I completely vote for an M1008 or M1009 (the Blazer version). But be warned, as they say over on Steel Soldiers, the CUCV is a gateway drug to military vehicle collecting.
I hate you. ;)

This place is getting very bad for my wallet. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, great truck. :thumb:

·
Banned
4,538 Posts
So, the mileage on these is what, exactly?
How big of a tank could I put in it?
What spare components would I need to keep handy for replacement in the event of an EMP?
mileage would vary but 10 to 18 depends on load and speed. Its has High Gearing.

Spare parts for EMP how about spare parts for the entire truck. So you beat a emp but now you have a flat tire. or a bent rim. Or a blow diff.... bad starter bad battery... broken leaf spring. You would almost need a 2nd truck just for spare parts.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.