Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dear colleagues,
We would like to know what is your favorite vehicle AFTER a disaster happen: What car, truck, quad, motorbike, bicycle or solar invention do you think will help you to survive in a post apocalyptic world? Which mean of transportation can be used regarding resources, efficiency, solidity...?
Looking forward to your answers,
Howard,
from Heirs Of The Wild

·
Banned
12,493 Posts
I like helicopters. Not sure why. Maybe it has to do with the fishing trip I took in '94 where the pilot buzzed the trees on the way to the fishing cabin. Freaking cool. He's dead now though. Helicopter crash.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
a Discovery or a Pajero...

Cool, sounds funny...
We were wondering if any of you guys got a Discovery or a Pajero running with gas or with hybrid technology.
Feel free to describe your own vehicle and why you have chosen this

·
Registered
951 Posts
I currently have a folding bike, utv, atv, prius and an old 5hp mini bike. Been pondering an electric 4x4 using 4 electric bike hubs with 10 speed rims and tires (if i ever get spare cash to burn.)

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,443 Posts
I plan to fall back on what I happen to have at that moment;
Since I will be wearing boots walking will be the worst case.
Since I will likely be driving a light duty (civilized) 4wd that will be the primary vehicle if I happen to be away from home.
If at home depending on the disaster I will probably walk short distances and drive longer distances. Bug-in for most disasters; but have prearranged, secure locations, with supplies, should evacuation be required.
If forced to evacuate, from home, I will be driving a well prepped, for difficult terrain, 4wd; and using a mountain bike then shank's mare for backups.

Walking has load carrying, defense and exposure issues;
bicycles/motorcycles/quads have defense and exposure issues, motor vehicles have fuel issues;
Vehicles have fuel issues (which are adequately solved by a moderate amount of forethought).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Bicycle or , as strvger said , "plain old shoe leather" .
Bicycles can go anywhere a motorized vehicle can go and some places they can't go .
No getting stuck in traffic jambs
Bicycles are relatively easy and inexpensive to maintain and repair
No gas tank to fill .
You can carry a lot of gear on a bike with saddle bags , packs , trailers , etc.
If you had to get off the road or trail and out of sight for some reason , it would be much easier with a bicycle .
No loud motor to signal where you are or where you are going .

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,443 Posts
Bicycles do not work well;
in flood conditions
in icy/slippery conditions,
in deep snow,
on big rocks
in deep mud
in deep sugar sand
on steep terrain, especially steep, loose; dirt/sand/gravel terrain (I regularly drive over and up terrain that no one can easily walk on/over, and is difficult to climb over, let alone drive a bicycle over, I have a bike and have tried various terrains as a (dis)proof of concept; beyond a point its simply easier to carry the bike than to try to ride it).
when you need to transport a passenger,
when you are injured.

Bicycles and to some extent motorcycles and quads etc. are very easy to trap/ambush, and are nearly impossible to put up a significant defense from without dismounting.

I could go on, but for me, after consideration of advantages and disadvantages in depth; what can be said is that they can carry bigger loads than walking, in good to fair weather (not necessarily in disaster conditions) and are easier than walking for travel purposes in fair weather in safe, moderately well maintained areas.
Primarily their biggest advantage might be lack of dependency on fuel; but only if fuel were to become excessively expensive for an extended period.

However; if a bike is all you've got; use it.

Enjoy!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts