Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of places like PSA and Trop have Troy magazines for around $7.

The lowest price I can find on pamgs are around $8 - $9.

At $7 each is there a reason not to stockpile Troy magazines?

Yes I know, when in doubt spend a couple of extra dollars and buy with confidence. From what I have seen there is nothing wrong with troy battlemags.

Does anyone here have some serious range time with troy magazines? Maybe took an M4 carbine class and saw the troys in action?

Why would I consider Troy battlemags?

Because they fit an an M16 magazine pouch. They do not have the wide base plate like the magpuls do.

·
Pot-stirring nest-poker!
3,109 Posts
Troy are excellent mags, not one wit shy of Magpul in quality.

Troy, as a company, is suspect. Magpul is a proven 2A supporter.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I run Troy battle mags mixed in with my other mags. I have not put them through a class, but I shoot a couple times a month at the range. Mine have been banged around and thrown in the dirt. I'm hard on my stuff. So far no issues with them. I bought mine a couple years ago when the were $25 for 3 of the 30 round battle mags. So I have been shooting them for a couple years with no issues.

·
Learning
6,704 Posts
I anticipate more $5 Troy mags between now and cyber Monday.

Honestly, I have about 30 Troy mags (20 are the pink ones) and about 30 pmags. I've only ever used Pmags and standard GI aluminum mags. With that being said I prefer polymer mags now.

Next time I go shooting I will purposefully take some Troy mags just to make sure they work; but everything I've read indicates that they work.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,829 Posts
I purchased them too. Only complaint I have about them is the disassemble, It can be a bit of a pain getting the floor plate back on. Other than that, great mags for the price.
I pulled the pink thingys off and replaced them with the flush plates. If you push them in a bit the floor plate pops right in. The part that fits into the floor plate didn't want to seat at first but I found that all you have to do is smack the floor plate on a flat surface (once it is on the magazine) and it snaps right into place.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Pmag Gen2 is my vote
Lancer AWM for $10 is my 2nd vote.

I have much suspicion that the battlemags won't hold up to abuse like the gen 2 pmags have already proven to do. That may just be me though.

And Pmag is discontinuing all mag colors except black at year's end, so that factor into your decision.

·
Just some dude on the net
2,327 Posts
We had a guy buy a bunch of Troy mags last tour. (2011 or so) back when they were some what new on the market. (most of us had never heard of them) Most of the military are a bunch of PMAG fan boys so we made fun of him for being cheap and such. But after heavy use both during train up and while deployed he never had any issues with his mags. Though in my case I already have PMAGs and they work great for me so I see no reason to change. With that being said if I had to buy new mags right now I wouldn't have a problem buying Troy mags based on the price.

Also one thing he liked about them is that they are slimmer then PMAGs so they fit better in different pouches and such where a PMAG like to be alone by it's self and be rather bulky in a mag pouch.

·
HMFIC
1,192 Posts
theres a vid on youtube that shows a failing with troy mags. they dont have an overinsertion tab, and if you slam it in the magwell hard during a fast reload, you can actually jam the entire gun, rendering it useless until you figure out how to take the mag out.

thats all ive heard as far as negative reviews.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
A couple of places like PSA and Trop have Troy magazines for around $7.

The lowest price I can find on pamgs are around $8 - $9.

At $7 each is there a reason not to stockpile Troy magazines?

Yes I know, when in doubt spend a couple of extra dollars and buy with confidence. From what I have seen there is nothing wrong with troy battlemags.

Does anyone here have some serious range time with troy magazines? Maybe took an M4 carbine class and saw the troys in action?

Why would I consider Troy battlemags?

Because they fit an an M16 magazine pouch. They do not have the wide base plate like the magpuls do.
Kyle Lamb has been using Troy's for a while. I honestly think they were free/promo items to him, but he has continued to use them with good success as far as I know. They never caused an issue in the class I attended.

·
Registered
10,009 Posts
We had a guy buy a bunch of Troy mags last tour. (2011 or so) back when they were some what new on the market. (most of us had never heard of them) Most of the military are a bunch of PMAG fan boys so we made fun of him for being cheap and such. But after heavy use both during train up and while deployed he never had any issues with his mags. Though in my case I already have PMAGs and they work great for me so I see no reason to change. With that being said if I had to buy new mags right now I wouldn't have a problem buying Troy mags based on the price.

Also one thing he liked about them is that they are slimmer then PMAGs so they fit better in different pouches and such where a PMAG like to be alone by it's self and be rather bulky in a mag pouch.
The Gen 3 PMAG's with their silly over-insertion tab are pure hell in my TYR mag-pouches.

·
19 Kilo
255 Posts
I recently purchased about 20 or so and the only complaint would be the floor plate. if you are not careful, you can easily snap the locking tab, happened to 3 of mine when switching out the original with the free pull tab. I resolved the problem by calling the troy number and requesting some replacements. They have a lifetime warranty which is perfect for me, they came in a week. Not too much range time with them though, but you can always youtube a torture vid and gamble on it. For the price, they are just right.

·
Banned
1,931 Posts
I pulled the pink thingys off and replaced them with the flush plates. If you push them in a bit the floor plate pops right in. The part that fits into the floor plate didn't want to seat at first but I found that all you have to do is smack the floor plate on a flat surface (once it is on the magazine) and it snaps right into place.
That is what I did as well soon as I got them & that was the issue I mostly had, trying to get the seat to sit flush but once I started loading them with ammo, after about the 10th round they all popped out flush.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I'm probably going to pick up some more AR parts for my unbuilt recievers, probably some more mags too.

But I'd wait till after thanksgiving before I spend money....

·
The Time Is Now
6,398 Posts
I just got some of the pink ones from PSA for 4.99. At that price, they are better. At only a couple bucks difference though I would go with PMAG. They feel better to me. But both the Troy and the pmag are good to go under any circumstance.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts