Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all, I'm a novice fisherman who has been trying to catch something other than seaweed.

Whenever I cast out, my line sinks to the bottom (as it should). However, my line never stays in the same spot. The line floats back to me in strong and weak currents. I've tried different sinkers, brand new mono-line, braided line, and adjusting my drag. Nothing seems to work.

How do I fix this problem?

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Your line floats back to you?

Does the sinker or lure or bait float back as well?

Because THAT is what matters.

I'm into flies and spinners myself, I only ever use weights to help get distance or to gain depth.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,176 Posts
Line management depends a lot on what bait or lure you are using, and how you are presenting it. If you are trying to fish with bait in a moving current, you would be better off to use a large egg or bank sinker, pass the line through the sinker, tie it off to a swivel, the add about four more feet of line and your baited hook to the other side of the swivel.

Keep the line between your rid and the sinker finger tight, and let the bait will move slightly on its four foot leash. When a fish picks up your bait, allow line to play out till you think the fish has taken it. Then set the hook.

Line type is not important for this kind of fishing, paicents is.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your line floats back to you?

Does the sinker or lure or bait float back as well?

Because THAT is what matters.

I'm into flies and spinners myself, I only ever use weights to help get distance or to gain depth.
The line moves back offshore, towards me. The line is submerged so the sinkers and bait stay down. There's no point in fishing if the line doesn't stay in the area where I cast it.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
The line moves back offshore, towards me. The line is submerged so the sinkers and bait stay down. There's no point in fishing if the line doesn't stay in the area where I cast it.
In my type of fishing the line NEVER stays where you cast it. 😁

So you're on a boat? When you say the bait stays "down" do you mean at the bottom, or suspended? Makes a difference.

The LINE doesn't matter, other than it adding drag to the rig in a current. If your sinkers and bait stay in place, then all you have to do is take up the slack and wait.

If you do that, and end up with more slack....your sinkers and bait are actually moving. You need more weight.

Or you need to understand that the bait moving isn't always a bad thing.

If more weight isn't helping the sinkers and bait stay put...you need to add even more weight, or fish with a different rig or tactic. Seriously, at some point, more weight will keep things anchored.

Might help if you told us what rig you are using, what you are fishing for, what depth, and in what water. Structure? Steep bank? Mud or rocks? Current? Wind or Waves? Still water?

Because I am having a hard time seeing what your problem is and how to solve it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In my type of fishing the line NEVER stays where you cast it. 😁

So you're on a boat? When you say the bait stays "down" do you mean at the bottom, or suspended? Makes a difference.

The LINE doesn't matter, other than it adding drag to the rig in a current. If your sinkers and bait stay in place, then all you have to do is take up the slack and wait.

If you do that, and end up with more slack....your sinkers and bait are actually moving. You need more weight.

Or you need to understand that the bait moving isn't always a bad thing.

If more weight isn't helping the sinkers and bait stay put...you need to add even more weight, or fish with a different rig or tactic. Seriously, at some point, more weight will keep things anchored.

Might help if you told us what rig you are using, what you are fishing for, what depth, and in what water. Structure? Steep bank? Mud or rocks? Current? Wind or Waves? Still water?

Because I am having a hard time seeing what your problem is and how to solve it.
I am shore fishing in a bay. Basically my problem is that when I cast, the line comes back to shore within a minute.

Let's say I cast my line out 20 yards away, in the middle of the bay. The line will come right back to me. The line isn't sturdy enough to stay in one place.

I've tried using a variety of sinkers, both heavy and light. Nothing seems to work.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
I am shore fishing in a bay. Basically my problem is that when I cast, the line comes back to shore within a minute.
So your line is coming ONSHORE, not OFFSHORE, as you said. You are a beginner, right?

Let's say I cast my line out 20 yards away, in the middle of the bay. The line will come right back to me. The line isn't sturdy enough to stay in one place.

I've tried using a variety of sinkers, both heavy and light. Nothing seems to work.
You keep saying your LINE comes back. Quit talking about your line. Your line does what it does due to the current or waves, or due to the bait and sinkers. There are several things that may give you slack line, including simply not taking up slack after casting.
What we need to know is.....

DOES YOUR BAIT COME BACK TO YOU?
How deep is the bay? Waves or current? Are you fishing ON THE BOTTOM?
The assumption is you are trying to.

Is your BAIT moving closer to you, and thus leaving you with slack line? If so...you need MORE WEIGHT. Or you need to accept that it moves, and cast again.

Is there a current or waves coming toward you and moving your bait? Then you need MORE WEIGHT. Or you cast again

If you aren't bottom fishing, then none of this makes any sense.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
They invented dynamite fishing years ago. Saves on fishing line and you can practice for the zombie apocalypse.
I suggest getting the wind at your back at a pond or lake and upstream on flowing waters

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,997 Posts
Sounds like you need a surf casting rod and use the heavy pyramid sinkers with bottom rigs. I hate fishing like that, but if there is surf action, that is pretty much the only option if fishing from shore.

Your descriptions are all over the place though. You say seaweed. Salt? then you say bay - Fresh? then you say middle of bay is 20 yards?? OK, that aint no bay.
Describe your body of water please.

You might try one of these sinkers that anchor in also.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
If line is floating back then you are losing fish. If conditions require only an 1/16 Oz weight then you use 1/16. If conditions require 20 Oz weight then that's what you use.... the lightest weight required to "anchor" the bait with a tight line.

Most fish will not just pick up a bait and run with it because it's there, first you have to entice them, which usually involves movement of some sort, bait from rod movement or current. It depends on the species. Once you have their attention they will take a few test bites. Without a tight line you will never know these occur and you're basically just feeding the fish at that point because they will sit there and pick your hook clean and never get hooked.

Weight up, if I'm in a current, doesn't matter if it's a freshwater creek or river or saltwater with tidal currents, I start out with 1/2 Oz for anything bigger than a bluegill. If I'm not able to maintain a tight line then I go up in 1/4 Oz increments until I find that magic weight that holds my bait in one place while maintaining a tight line so I can feel those first few taps and get ready to set a hook and rip lips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts