Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can only navigate one or two pages at a time, then I get an "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" timeout prompt.

I've tried logging out & back in to no avail.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I'd like for Kev to test this out. Take a tabbed browser and open multiple posts each in their own tab. After I open about more then 4 or 5; they time out and won't load. I think the server needs to allow more connections per IP. Or release connections quicker so after I close tabs; it doesn't look like I'm still "connected" or have them open.

Something happens that clogs up the system and won't allow easy feeding of the pages.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Seems to be a cookie issue--I can log out and peruse the forum OK, only hangs up every now & then, but when I log back in I can't get past 2 pages before it locks up.

Strange.

btw...I've tried to post this 3 or 4 times now, maybe this time it will go through?

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I think the server needs to allow more connections per IP. Or release connections quicker so after I close tabs; it doesn't look like I'm still "connected" or have them open.
Negative, that aint gonna happen.

This site allows 150 connections per IP over X number of seconds. This is to prevent denial of service attacks and to stop people from hitting the refresh key every second.

150 may sound like a lot of connections, but its not. Not when each page has dozens of images on it. AT 75 - 100 connections per IP address people were getting blocked right and left, so it was increased to 150.

This was put into effect when someone launched a denial of service attack against the server a two months ago.

Also, make sure your home router firewall is not doing proxy DNS. Meaning name resolution should be done by your ISPs DNS servers, not your home router firewall.

·
Registered
437 Posts
How about when you are here and using the board; raise or remove the limit and when you are away; set it back to ward off DOS attacks? If it's easy to change/set that is.

If I instead of closing tabs, I make each one go to my homepage after I'm done reading, will that release it quicker since your server sees that "I left"? Upon a closed tab, doesn't the session have to time out on your end for the connection to release?

Two scenarios constantly happen to me:

One is, I check my email and I open all those updated threads in new tabs(all at once).

The other is, I click on where it says "new posts" and I go down the list and open them in new tabs. If I open them one at a time; the results will expire before I get done reading and I lose the unseen ones on other pages(suppose I could open each page of results in new tabs..).

What I was attempting to say is if I attempt to open ~10 tabs of posts; they all get to a point where they won't display.

Go down a list of threads opening each one in a new tab and you'll see the system jam up.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
When viewing the list of threads in a forum section, there were 2 columns of images. One column was not needed so it was removed. There were 25 images (1 image per thread, 25 threads per page), this will save the site from having to process around 55,000,000 - 60,000,000 of those images a month.

This site gets between 2.4 - 2.5 million page views a month and going up at a rate or 10% - 16% every 30 days.

Doing little things like that can take some of the load off of the server. Hopefully just that one edit will help speed up the page loading.

How about when you are here and using the board; raise or remove the limit and when you are away; set it back to ward off DOS attacks? If it's easy to change/set that is.........
Thank you for the suggestion, but no. When the site is under a DDOS attack, I can not connect to it either. Only the hosting company can. So by the time anyone realizes the site is being attacked, its too late. All connections to the server will be lost, including mine.

·
Plinker
746 Posts
I don't understand all the technical data that "kev' knows, but I agree with "skyy", give Firefox a try. I use Firefox for 99.9% of my browsing and keep IE strictly for my Hotmail and maps & directions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts