Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/heard through the grapevine if our troops pulling out of and ending all military operations in Iraq (by end of this year) would result in a surplus of certain mil spec items that might find their way into the civilian retail market and be priced cheaper than normal.

Items such as ammo, MREs, clothing, boots, packs, etc, come to mind.

·
Banned
263 Posts
I am more interested in what happens to the US Job market if the US doesnt get into another war ASAP and decide to lower personal.

and the effects on the rest of the world... Everyone is focused on Europe.. but the US is in worse shape then any Euro nation. Yet seems to be a unspoken rule in the Media nobody mentions that.

·
Old guy who plans ahead
1,918 Posts
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts/heard through the grapevine if our troops pulling out of and ending all military operations in Iraq (by end of this year) would result in a surplus of certain mil spec items that might find their way into the civilian retail market and be priced cheaper than normal.

Items such as ammo, MREs, clothing, boots, packs, etc, come to mind.
I wouldn't count on it. The "war on terror" isn't over, just operation Iraqi Freedom. Military action in Afghanistan is just as much "ON" as it ever was.

You might find some personal items of boots, packs, etc. finding their way onto ebay, listed by individual people, but don't expect the government to have War surplus actions like they did after world war 2 ended.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I would say no considering the huge market nowadays for milsurplus. I messed up storing my gear at a storage unit and forgot to lock padlock. Anyways they got in took my molle gear, gas mask, magazines, etc. They left my 1k stihl chop saw, tools, 79 F-250 cherry condition truck with the key in the ignition. What makes me laugh is it was around 100lbs and they exited over some barbwire. They directly changed my approach to a grey man way and not bothering with all the tacticool gear and the M-16 platform.

I was in from 1999 to 2003. When Afghanistan stared we trained for deployment there but I got pulled into Filipino support float. At the same time they replaced actual Marine supply personnel with civilians and changed the paperwork. I came home with a complete kit even after I spoke up about how asinine it was. The best part of this was most of my battalion was deployed to Afghanistan and left a skeleton crew at OKI. They had no record of me checking out my issue M16. Of course they didnt let me take it home but I tried of course. Just one example of how some of the troops get "extra" gear.

·
Ná satail orm
993 Posts
What I've heard, and someone step in if you have better intel, is that while the troops have left Iraq a considerable number of them just moved across the border to Kuwait and will be stationed there. Probably as a deterrent to our "friend" in Iran. Somehow I don't think our "pull out" will be long lived. JMO.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
What I've heard, and someone step in if you have better intel, is that while the troops have left Iraq a considerable number of them just moved across the border to Kuwait and will be stationed there. Probably as a deterrent to our "friend" in Iran. Somehow I don't think our "pull out" will be long lived. JMO.
From what I hear we will be putting a base in Iraq, but it won't be a DOD installation. What ever that means lol. They are pulling out of Iraq, but most are being sent to Afghanistan and other will go to Africa.

As for the surplus gear, I could see Ebay being a nice spot for gear, but other than that not much else will change. There is already TONS of gear for auction if you want to go that route.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
Read a story somewhere recently about the mountains of equipment that we turned over to the Iraqi`s to rebuild their army.

The officers doing the turnover said the day after we left it all to them, they went back to the base and it was completely looted.

So I guess the answer to your question is yes, there are some smokin deals on US military surplus....in Iraq.

·
even my pug shoots
77 Posts
Whenever a unit comes in hang out around the surp stores. The owners are notoriously cheap, and a lot of guys turn down thier offer. Follow them out and make a deal. Works for me. Or run an ad, " buying used mil gear" that has worked well in the past.

·
Perfect Storm of Stupid
177 Posts
Maybe we'll be able to buy MRE's for 10 bucks a case! That would be SWEET! good thing I have a pickup :)

.. oh wait, I live in Alaska, after shipping it'll be $75 a case, crap!

·
Registered
347 Posts
I have seen, in my area maybe because we have a military base, guys selling stuff on craigslist because they're getting out.
am sure most of it was private purchase gear, boots, packs and what not.

·
Noob-Lite
479 Posts
Maybe we'll be able to buy MRE's for 10 bucks a case! That would be SWEET! good thing I have a pickup :)

.. oh wait, I live in Alaska, after shipping it'll be $75 a case, crap!

A truck, heck I've got a trailer, and if push comes to shove, I would commission my father to help out as he has a T600 with a 53' Reefer :D:

On another note, does anyone have any idea on how low the prices on M855 will go?

hick

·
Prepper elite
4,538 Posts
You won't see a lot of gear turned in... The new supply rules are having supply asking for everything back... Some of the stuff they told us like if it touched your skin you do not turn it in just toss it.

·
Just a tad bit insane
539 Posts
supply wants everything that you where issued. Most of this extra gear was tactically acquired so to speak. Clothes.... I havent been asked for it yet but give it a few years the may just change thier minds.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
pulling out of Iraq cause the Iraqi's forced us too. Not because they wanted too. War of terror is far from over and they need a flase flag to save the TSA and Obama.

·
I survive on Hate.
1,009 Posts
A lot of personal gear will, especially ACU gear since it is being phased out. There is a fairly large mil surplus market out there, but I would imagine some better quality gear will be out there. I know that a fair amount of soldiers(national guard) try selling excess gear to soldiers still serving, so if you have any friends in a National Guard unit that recently deployed, ask them to keep an eye out for anyone getting rid of their stuff.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts