Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Happy to be here!
4,935 Posts
I own a Trijicon RX30. I like it and would buy another one. When I bought it 3 years ago, it was $350 new including the Arms throw lever mount...now they are more. It has no batteries, instead running off fiber optics in the day and triennium (sp?) at night. I love that feature because mine rides in the trunk where it is seldom checked on for weeks at a time. In Florida, the trunk can heat up to ridiculous temperatures. I never have to worry about a dead battery. The RX-30 makes me much faster on target, and unlike my iron sights, I can aim in low light and even total darkness. Having one of the largest “viewing windows" on the market, it helps me get on target faster and easier, with both eyes open. As a result of the larger size, a slight weight penalty is there.

A problem with the sight is red dot wash out. If you are aiming into an area that is much brighter then where you are, your red dot will not be visible. That’s because the red dot is not adjustable for brightness, instead self adjusting via available ambient light. The fiber optics can only make the dot as bright as the available light source can provide for. The triennium lamp is dim, and only visible in low light conditions. I hope that makes sense. Situations where I have experienced wash out included; aiming from inside a dimly lit building to the bright outdoors and aiming into the headlights of an approaching vehicle at night. You will need to use BUIS in those situations, as our military does.

The only other fault I can find with the product is the 6MOA dot size I own. IMHO, that size dot is too big. It makes shooting at a 4 inch bull’s eye very difficult at 100 yards as the dot appears to be about frisbee sized. At 200 yards, the dot will completely hide a target the size of a pizza. I don’t want you to think I don’t like my sight because of these things I’m telling you. There is no such thing as the perfect sight, but for CQB or police work, this is about as close as it gets for me. If I had it to do over again, I would have picked the exact same sight, only with a 4 MOA dot or smaller if available.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will

The new reflex I am looking at comes in 6.5 and 4.5 moa with an amber dot. I am leaning towards the 4.5 for distance shooting.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
12,353 Posts
A problem with the sight is red dot wash out. If you are aiming into an area that is much brighter then where you are, your red dot will not be visible. That’s because the red dot is not adjustable for brightness, instead self adjusting via available ambient light. The fiber optics can only make the dot as bright as the available light source can provide for. The triennium lamp is dim, and only visible in low light conditions. I hope that makes sense. Situations where I have experienced wash out included; aiming from inside a dimly lit building to the bright outdoors and aiming into the headlights of an approaching vehicle at night.
not to trash the trijicon reflex but you just hit on why i passed on it and went with the eotech 512 it's 9 brightness settings compensate for washout even in bright sunlight on white surfaces.........

·
Registered
65 Posts
I put a Trijicon RMR 9 MOA dual illuminated sight on my 870 and it rocks (IMO). It is rock solid and the amber dot is perfectly bright in both daylight and total darkness. I also like not having to worry about batteries.

·
Registered
6,611 Posts
I have a couple but don't use them on my "serious" rifles. As mentioned, they do washout if looking into any bright areas. With that said, they are excellent for hunting...early morning/evening when it's not too bright out. My little M6 Scout is outfitted with one of my Reflex's and it works like a charm. I have the 12 MOA triangle...the top point is zeroed for the .22LR and the whole triangle works great for the .410 shot shells:

ROCK6

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,416 Posts
I put a Trijicon RMR 9 MOA dual illuminated sight on my 870 and it rocks (IMO). It is rock solid and the amber dot is perfectly bright in both daylight and total darkness. I also like not having to worry about batteries.

Not worrying about batteries is the thing I like most about them. I love reflex sights, but I really have a problem with any optic that's battery dependant. I'll only put them on guns that have iron sights also, just in case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts