Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting back into camping this year and was thinking of trying hammocking. I've done a lot of reading and checking out(strictly online) different brands. Tom Claytor's Jungle Hammock http://www.mosquitohammock.com/ is the model I'll pro'lly go with. I'm curious if anyone here has tried hammocking, then reverted back to a tent. What is/was your reasoning for it?

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
hammocks generally aint rain proof and there aint always close trees.
dont use tent either use taurp and ponchos

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hammocks aren't rain proof, but most folks use a tarp over them for that anyway. As for tarps and ponchos, no thanks. Been there, got the crap and left. ;-)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hammocks are worth a try. You either love them or you don't.

I tried them and several brands. I will stick with my tarp, tent, camper. I just could not get comfortable in one after an hour or so and always woke with a kink in my back.

Marty has a Hennessey hammock and loves it.

It is a matter of taste.

Good luck

Don

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
I can't stand hammocks the last time i slept in one i felt like id been in ruff seas for a week and it took three days to get over it:eek:.
Ill stick with my tents,tarp and bivvy bag;).

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I prefer hammock camping to tent camping. I have slept in my mesh hammock a many a night. Even if you do not sleep in the hammock, it gives you a place to lay down and rest. To me, a hammock is a required piece of equipment.

Lat week I finally bought a new parachute hammock to replace my 13 year old model.

·
trois pour cent
5,942 Posts
I like the idea of a hammock but I'm a side sleeper. Back sleeping is almost impossible for me unless I'm totally thrashed. Seems like the hammock would force you to back sleep.

And if you find yourself without a tree, is the bottom sturdy enough to lay it on the ground to sleep and rig the tarp with a little paracord and sticks?

I like the idea of it being so much more lightweight.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
I switch possisions too much for a hammock. I have never tried sleeping all night in one, but after an hour or so in one, I can't stay comfortable. Next time I set mine up, i'll try to get the strings tighter for a more flat sleeping surface. I always use a tent or tarp.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts