Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Fast learner
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw that there was a thread where people shared tips and tricks for preppers. I'm just a civilian in college (starting ROTC next semester) so I don't have any real training. However, I know a few things, like how to make a tab out of duct tape to help pull mags out of pouchs without having the tab snag on things, putting card board between two parallel box mags and taping them instead of taping "jungle-style" because jungle-style often puts dirt and grim in the magazine and affects feeding, etc. Any experienced members have any similar tricks that they use that they are willing to share?

·
At this point IDGAF.
301 Posts
Get training.
1. Attend an Appleseed event to learn time proven marksmanship skills. It's is the best $70 I've ever spent.
2. Put in some range time practicing what you've learned.
3. Attend another Appleseed event.
4. Repeat steps 2&3 until you qualify as a rifleman.
5. Take a carbine class.
6. Put in range time practicing what you've learned in Appleseed and the carbine class
7. Take a pistol class
8. Put in range time practicing what you've learned in Appleseed, the carbine class, and the pistol class.
9. Take a defensive shotgun class (are you seeing a pattern yet?)

Seriously though, there is no substitute for good training and practice. Marksmanship is a perishable skill, take classes to learn, and practice to stay sharp.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
the army will teach you all you need to know go infantry officer and try to go to rasp (formerly RIP/ROPE)

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Despite your thoughts on any particular firearm, you should go with what you know. You will be trained on the military version of the AR-15.

It has been said many times, the better shooters in the military are the ones that come with no experience. People get into habits. It is much easier to shoot properly, if you're not used to shooting improperly.

I'd go and buy an AR-15 and get a 22lr conversion bolt for it. Using 22lr just saves money with practice. A good simple AR will suffice, or you can build your own. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 for $650. While it doesn't have premium features like other AR's have, it is reliable and shoots reasonably well.

If on a budget, then purchase a 22lr ruger 10/22 or any marlin 22lr rifle. Then buy a tech sights iron sight kit for it. Tech sights convert several 22lr rifles to AR-15 sights, which is the same as the military M4 rifle sights.

If you want some experience before going, I don't blame you at all. Go to an appleseed event. B prepared to shoot 500 rounds there. This is why the 22lr is great 3-4 cents a round to shoot, versus 30-50 cents a round for the .223 or 5.56x45 round the AR-15 rifle fires.

http://www.tech-sights.com/

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Despite your thoughts on any particular firearm, you should go with what you know. You will be trained on the military version of the AR-15.

It has been said many times, the better shooters in the military are the ones that come with no experience. People get into habits. It is much easier to shoot properly, if you're not used to shooting improperly.

I'd go and buy an AR-15 and get a 22lr conversion bolt for it. Using 22lr just saves money with practice. A good simple AR will suffice, or you can build your own. I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15 for $650. While it doesn't have premium features like other AR's have, it is reliable and shoots reasonably well.

If on a budget, then purchase a 22lr ruger 10/22 or any marlin 22lr rifle. Then buy a tech sights iron sight kit for it. Tech sights convert several 22lr rifles to AR-15 sights, which is the same as the military M4 rifle sights.

If you want some experience before going, I don't blame you at all. Go to an appleseed event. B prepared to shoot 500 rounds there. This is why the 22lr is great 3-4 cents a round to shoot, versus 30-50 cents a round for the .223 or 5.56x45 round the AR-15 rifle fires.

http://www.tech-sights.com/
id tell him hold of on the guns tll after rotc hell learn to shoot there a whole lot of people who join the army thinking they know how to shoot because they learned bad habits and are horrid shots

Reactions: Optimist

·
Registered
153 Posts
Tips:
Before you commission: get every single school you can get! Im not talking about the ones with the coolest badge, any and all training is what you want. Airborne, Air Assault, Pathfinder, Mountain Warfare, RIP, Ranger School, etc... They all have slots that are given to ROTC that are next to impossible to get once you report for AD.
Once you commission: no matter what MOS you pick, SHUT YOUR MOUTH for a year or so, find a few experienced NCOs and learn everything you can from them, find a few grizzled senior officers and learn everything you can from them, go to advanced courses, lead by example, dont ask anyone to do anything you wouldnt do yourself, paracord and 100mph tape is your friend, Reward in public and repremand in private, make sure those who DESERVE medals get them and not just E6s and above, dont get married right away and when you do try to marry someone who knows military life and is supportive of it. That is all for now...

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Tips:
Before you commission: get every single school you can get! Im not talking about the ones with the coolest badge, any and all training is what you want. Airborne, Air Assault, Pathfinder, Mountain Warfare, RIP, Ranger School, etc... They all have slots that are given to ROTC that are next to impossible to get once you report for AD.
Once you commission: no matter what MOS you pick, SHUT YOUR MOUTH for a year or so, find a few experienced NCOs and learn everything you can from them, find a few grizzled senior officers and learn everything you can from them, go to advanced courses, lead by example, dont ask anyone to do anything you wouldnt do yourself, paracord and 100mph tape is your friend, Reward in public and repremand in private, make sure those who DESERVE medals get them and not just E6s and above, dont get married right away and when you do try to marry someone who knows military life and is supportive of it. That is all for now...
sound advice but FYI few years back they changed rip/rope and now its just rasp

but he would deffinetly fast track in a ranger battalion

·
Fast learner
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
id tell him hold of on the guns tll after rotc hell learn to shoot there a whole lot of people who join the army thinking they know how to shoot because they learned bad habits and are horrid shots
Yes, I appreciate any advise on specific weapons and specific training regiments, but at this point, I can't really afford anything more than my hand-me-down Nylon 66 and maybe I can splurge for a Mosin Nagant. Either way, I also can't keep it with me on campus. I do have gun safety training from being an Eagle Scout and practical skills taught to me by cousins, uncles, and grandfathers who served in the Marines, Army, Sheriff's department, and Secret Service between 6 of them. I thought I would start this thread so people could share any little tricks they use to wring the most out of their small arms. Tricks that one could harness in a SHTF situation.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Yes, I appreciate any advise on specific weapons and specific training regiments, but at this point, I can't really afford anything more than my hand-me-down Nylon 66 and maybe I can splurge for a Mosin Nagant. Either way, I also can't keep it with me on campus. I do have gun safety training from being an Eagle Scout and practical skills taught to me by cousins, uncles, and grandfathers who served in the Marines, Army, Sheriff's department, and Secret Service between 6 of them. I thought I would start this thread so people could share any little tricks they use to wring the most out of their small arms. Tricks that one could harness in a SHTF situation.
problem with alot of those tricks is i can tell you but without seeing you shoot you could do it wrong and without correction develop nasty habits.

most tricks require someone to physically show you and then watch you so when you do it wrong they can say no do this instead of that ect

go to rasp train physically really really hard so you will pass greg to the regiment you will shoot more than you wil like and get slots for any school you want

good example I can tell you with angle fire if your shooting downhill aim for there nuts and if aiming up aim for there head to hit center mass but if your taking relly long shots you need to know the math of it first because just because i know the rule of thumb I also know the math and application of it from experience so i can in my mind say on on this hill i should do this where s this one not so much

·
Registered
440 Posts
Get training.
1. Attend an Appleseed event to learn time proven marksmanship skills. It's is the best $70 I've ever spent.
2. Put in some range time practicing what you've learned.
3. Attend another Appleseed event.
4. Repeat steps 2&3 until you qualify as a rifleman.
5. Take a carbine class.
6. Put in range time practicing what you've learned in Appleseed and the carbine class
7. Take a pistol class
8. Put in range time practicing what you've learned in Appleseed, the carbine class, and the pistol class.
9. Take a defensive shotgun class (are you seeing a pattern yet?)

Seriously though, there is no substitute for good training and practice. Marksmanship is a perishable skill, take classes to learn, and practice to stay sharp.
Then attend a high power match and start learning about marksmanship.

·
Warrior Trying tobe Civil
1,880 Posts
For most centerfire rifles at modest angles, it doesn't make much difference in slant angle correction out to about 300 yards.....however whether you are shooting high, angled up, or low, angled down.....the rule is to aim low for both, because the impact will normally be high.

Best Regards......Eagle Six

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
For most centerfire rifles at modest angles, it doesn't make much difference in slant angle correction out to about 300 yards.....however whether you are shooting high, angled up, or low, angled down.....the rule is to aim low for both, because the impact will normally be high.

Best Regards......Eagle Six
Deflection Chart
Slope° Multiply by

05°.....0.99
10°.....0.98
15°.....0.96
20°.....0.94
25°.....0.91
30°.....0.87
35°.....0.82
40°.....0.77
45°.....0.70
50°.....0.64
55°.....0.57
60°.....0.50
65°.....0.42
70°.....0.34
75°.....0.26
80°.....0.17
85°.....0.09
90°.....0.00

example

300 yards @ 45°
300 x .70 = 210
Aim at 210 yds not 300
otherwise you MISS

500 @ 35°
500 x .82 = 410 yds

200 @ 65°
200 x .42 = 84 yds
Like aiming from the ground to a Hajji on the roof of a five story building.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Deflection Chart
Slope° Multiply by

05°.....0.99
10°.....0.98
15°.....0.96
20°.....0.94
25°.....0.91
30°.....0.87
35°.....0.82
40°.....0.77
45°.....0.70
50°.....0.64
55°.....0.57
60°.....0.50
65°.....0.42
70°.....0.34
75°.....0.26
80°.....0.17
85°.....0.09
90°.....0.00

example

300 yards @ 45°
300 x .70 = 210
Aim at 210 yds not 300
otherwise you MISS

500 @ 35°
500 x .82 = 410 yds

200 @ 65°
200 x .42 = 84 yds
Like aiming from the ground to a Hajji on the roof of a five story building.
i learned to calculate the triangle method never had a handy chart

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
What's the triangle method, may I ask?
you need a map and or range finder/gps like the (viper system)

the triangle method is simply Pythagorean Theorem if you know your elevation in relation to enemy A and distance B then the actual distance the bullet travels is C
a2 + b2 = c2

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.