Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching the news feeds from Hurricane Sandy and one thing I noticed was all the people in line at gas stations with their 2 or 3 - 5 gallon gas cans and having to fill them up to keep their generators running..

So it got me thinking about doing a tri fuel kit to my Coleman generator, so I was wondering...

Has anyone done a tri fuel generator kit to their genset??? If so, any problems running it on Natural gas?? Seems to me that if I spend $250 for the kit and have the gas line run to the generator would be a very wise investment in the generator and power for the house...

ANy thoughts or suggests from those that have done this kit up grade?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
yes I did. The hook up was easy and i got one for a 1995 coleman
it runs great on propane. i dont have the ng set up yet:thumb:

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
Propane in your tank is yours, but it doesn't make as much horsepower. Natural gas in their line might be there when you need it, maybe not. Both store forever.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Back in the day when I was in the welder business, I used to convert welders to run on propane. If I recall, they went through spark plugs faster than when running on gasoline so you may want to have some spares on hand....

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just set up a Yamaha generator to tri fuel. It was way easier than I thought. I just had to use it as we had a 5 hour power outage a week ago sunday. I chose to run it on propane, because I had a 20 lb tank readily available from the BBQ grill. It was a partial tank and I still had some left after running the whole place for the 5 hours. The power difference was minimal from the other fuels. I just ordered a kit for my bigger generator. I got mine from uscarb.com. Great people and a lot of help. Kit was $175.00.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I purchased a kit from uscarb.com but haven't installed it yet. Be advised that if you plan to run off of natural gas (like me) - you need to have the generator somewhat close to the gas meter because it will need volume.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Natural Gas

You should also look at their site and see best placement for the generator. Then calculate what you will have running. We only have the furnace and hot water heater. US Carb has a great section on Natrual Gas usage.

You definately need the rpm monitor to get the proper mixture for propane and NG. Like the old carbeurators, back out he locking screw to the highest steady RPM and lock it down. When my power went out a couple weeks ago I had to loosen the lock nut and do a minor adjutment to steady the RPM. It took about 2 minutes.

·
Frreeedommm
3,827 Posts
I bought a Black Max 3650/4550 generator at Sams. I am having trouble finding a kit that is fitted for this product.

I'm not sure US carbs kit C will fit it, does anyone have or know about this particular generator?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Give them a call. I was confused on a rigid 8000w and they guided me through and I was able to order the one I needed. They were really good about helping.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I don't have a gen yet but have been looking into them for hte new Honda EU2000i gensets and talked to a few vendors and people who have installed them on the same gens. They all say there is no power lose with the new Honda's running on propane. I'm looking into two eu200i's in series on a propane conversion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I bought a yamaha 2400. I ran it on propane for 6 hours a few weeks ago. It ran my whole business w/2 computer, a server, and several refridgertion appliances and I saw no difference fom running it on gasoline. I was vey quiet I could talk on the phone next to it. Us carb sells them already converted to tri fuel.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts