Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own rural land one hour from my home. One hour from a metro area of 2.5 million people. The property is off the beaten path, rustic and is unrestricted in it's use - it is my weekend get away with great hunting.(deer,turkey and waterfowl)
I use it on weekends and days off, and that's the problem - the freeloaders use it when I'm not there.
Anyone else have this problem!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had that problem in the past. Best thing to do is randomly check the property, all different times of day, especially opening day of the seasons, and the second day. Took me about three months, but I finally caught the trespassers, explained to them, next time they are "caught" I call the police.

Make sure you property is posted, and put up some "cheap" scouting cameras, to see when the are coming. Obviously hide the scouting camera, and disable the flash.

·
Facin' Long,Personal SHTF
549 Posts
In most states, you can declare someone "legally trespassed" from your property, and if they don't leave IMMEDIATELY, lethal force is LEGAL to use against them. [See the recent 'case' against the man in Texas who opened fire on burglars beseiging his neighbor's home.]

Check your state and local laws rigorously, since they undoubtably vary -- but there's usually a similar clause that allows you to "gun 'em down". The solution is to manipulate the situation in such a way as to place them on the 'buisness-end' of that particular law. If possible, one should also strive to 'corner' the trespasser strategically, so as to provoke a confrontation (on your property, "while in the lawful expulsion of a trespasser", the self-defense laws in your state should be rather clearly on your side) -- a confrontation that you should already be well-armed enough to easily win. However, in a confrontation of this particular nature, one's strategic goals must be slightly altered; it is not only necessary to bring down the enemy trespasser, but also to ensure his/her death. This becomes necessary to preclude the inevitable landslide of civil suits you'd have to defend against should the trespasser survive the encounter. Thusly, one must ensure that the trespasser does not, in fact, survive said encounter.

IF your state does not have such a law: I would humbly submit to you, that a relentless letter-writing and phonecall campaign is invariably fruitless in gaining the attention of legislators. It may, furthermore, be illegal in your locality (as it is in mine) to submit a 'draft' of a sample bill to your local representative that would effect the legislative change that is necessary. All I can really suggest is that you try to [hold your nose] and ingratiate yourself to [... shudder] local and state lobbyists, for it is they who hold the reins of the legislative beasts, and those beasts will only hear of your idea if the lobbyists approve of it.

Good luck, and I'm rooting for you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i had the same problem. i foud a retired man who lives in his rv, we had a hook up put in for him about 40 acres away from my cabin but now someone is there almost everyday allday and it totally eliminated my problem. the costs involved were minimal in comparison to the damage that was done to my land on a yearly basis not to mention the feeling of being repeatedly taken advantage by strangers who had no right to be where they were.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, the land is posted with signs. In Missouri we have the Purple Paint Law. Trees and markers are painted, which are the same as postings.
Over the years, I've found complete deer camp set-ups, mom and dad and kids Atv riders and beer parties.
These are not city people, they're locals who need to do all the things they did on the farm - but the farm has been sold out from under them.
...and your land will do 'em now!

·
Banned
653 Posts
12 ga tripwire activated noise makers, if it doesn't scare the hell out of them they'll leave b/c it will ruin their hunting....

·
Home...where the horse is
186 Posts
My buddy and I got permission to hunt 600 acres in NE Missouri. We spent 3 months scouting, understanding the movements and observing deer habits. Opening day, the farmer we had negotiated with called us in and him and his wife fed us breakfast at 4 AM. He told us we were the only ones who had asked permission to hunt, therefore, we had his blessing to run off anyone we found on his property.

We spent the first hour of daylight running people off...finally gave up and went to hunting for ourselves.

The payback...we saw 14 deer...we both got ours by the end of the day...and on the harvest map at the ranger station...we were the ONLY hunters who bagged deer in that section.

Around here, asking permission is common courtesy, but like common sense...it ain't common.

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
My buddy and I got permission to hunt 600 acres in NE Missouri. We spent 3 months scouting, understanding the movements and observing deer habits. Opening day, the farmer we had negotiated with called us in and him and his wife fed us breakfast at 4 AM. He told us we were the only ones who had asked permission to hunt, therefore, we had his blessing to run off anyone we found on his property.

We spent the first hour of daylight running people off...finally gave up and went to hunting for ourselves.

The payback...we saw 14 deer...we both got ours by the end of the day...and on the harvest map at the ranger station...we were the ONLY hunters who bagged deer in that section.

Around here, asking permission is common courtesy, but like common sense...it ain't common.

my set up is similar. we have a "lease" per say/
our payments for that lease-

maintain the roads and a fence works
maintain the house on the land and its yours to use year round
mow the roads,trails and house area.
keep and eye on things.

not bad for over 500 acres in the middle of nowhere.

before the .gov land locked the "lease" we had to run off a few. fence's constant being run over and crushed by large 4x4 trucks, people hunting it etc.
there are still some im sure that trespass when we aren't around,its few and far between compared to 4 years ago. But only because there's 3 gates you gotta go through and the game wardens patrol the area almost daily!

sides that post the land, keep your fences up and maybe get to know the neighbors if there are any, maybe they can give you intel on who they see coming and going?

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Scout around and see if you can locate their truck/car. A bottle of Caro Syrup in the gas tank. If you can't open the tank crawl underneath and stick a knife blade into the oil filter. Leave a note on the windshield warning them not to return.
I have to say, if it was my land I would do something similar. Although I would not want their vehicle stuck on my property either. They need to respect your s$%#t or learn their lesson. As always though, be careful if you don't know who your are F%$#@NG with.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
I have to say, if it was my land I would do something similar. Although I would not want their vehicle stuck on my property either. They need to respect your s$%#t or learn their lesson. As always though, be careful if you don't know who your are F%$#@NG with.
Neither one of these will cause the vehicle to be "stuck", the syrup won't take effect for 2 days and the punctured oil filter will get them down the road a few miles before the oil light comes on, which most people ignore, thinking they can make it to a store. Both will disable a vehicle.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its not the millions from the big city, its the hundreds from the small towns thats giving me trouble. Country people now live on small lots, but they still like the wide-open spaces for their fun.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Its not the millions from the big city, its the hundreds from the small towns thats giving me trouble. Country people now live on small lots, but they still like the wide-open spaces for their fun.
Sounds familiar. As a country boy, there is nothing country locals hate more than city people, or anyone from away for that matter that come and use land only part time. This could be a long term problem for you. Good luck, you may need it.

Thanks for explaining outlaw.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts