Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a tall tower is real big bucks! I do have this 80+ tall tree in my yard that is over 3 ft in dia at the bottom I would like to use. I have been to the top allready and put a 6 ft lightning rod up with a 2/0 copper ground wire all the way to the bottom so I know how tall it is and it is just short of 85 ft tall! At the top it was hit by lightnig once as it grew and it has a Tee in the top and the dia is 8 inches. You can sit on the top with out a problem like a crows nest and I put up a steel bolt on unistrut stand off for the lightning rod. So I could build a nice steel mount that could hold a BIG antenna mast and ground it to the 2/0 (finger size) ground wire. Doing this I could set the antenna at about 95+ ft off the ground. I would have access up the tree by a steel ladder I could build to climb as the last time it was a all day project getting up there and pulling up allmost 100 lbs of gear!! I had to do it with climbing gear and spike up it. The branches are real far apart and like trees themseves in size.
Now would this be worth while for a mount as it is the highest point on my place and a lone tree 30+ ft from the house. You can see allmost forever on top 360 degs. I want to do this for a Ham Radio. Pro/Cons?? Mark

The tree;

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you start with a well-constructed wire antenna, rigged either as a vertical or as a sloper, things are not likely to be snapping off by wind. That is why I gave the reference http://ac6v.com to look up different DIY or ready-made wire antennas.

I think a yagi or a beam is a bad idea up a tree.
That was a good link you posted! As far as wind and branches being a problem not one has broke off this Ponderouse Pine in 15 years. There is not that many on the tree and most are 6-8+ inches across. We have 40+ MPH winds quite often so the tree is clean of easy to break stuff. I will do my homework in the link you gave me. My thought was the fact the tree is allmost 90 ft tall and big! A tower that big is well over $4,000.00 set up. I still need to check the bands the county emergency group uses in town. My hand helds are 134-174 Mhz so they appear to cover 3 bands? I do pretty good with them on my home built ant I have that is 20 Ft high off the ground. I belive they use the same freqs as it is the freqs we use on all the fires, most police etc. A wire ant is not a bad idea also for this tree. I am waiting for the main County Ham guy in town to call me so I can pick his brain, I think he is gone for a while?? Mark

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
if you have your amateur license I would put a 6-2-440 vertical antenna at the top and 80m inverted V HF antenna with the peek 10ft below it.

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
if you have your amateur license I would put a 6-2-440 vertical antenna at the top and 80m inverted V HF antenna with the peek 10ft below it.
So are you talking a 6 meter, 2 meter,440 Mhz like a "Comet 6/2/440 triband vertical" then also a seperate 80 meter below this set up and 10 ft above the peak of the tree or the peek of the inverted 80m below the 6-2-440 antenna? I do plan to get my licence as I have passed the written tests before but could not pass the code part! Would this be a multible Coax lead in or just go to a antenna switch with one? I like the vertical antenna idea due to less snow and wind problems as we do have a good winter here. To me the tree would be like a climbing tower with the ladder perminaly mounted plus the hardware at the top for mounting antennas. The insulated 2/0 copper ground wire is in place on insulators down the side of the tree conected to a underground ground grid better than a rod. I have set up grounding grids for the goverment semiconductor assembley plants for topedos used in our subs. I want my 134-176 Mhz Hand Held 1/5 watt Fire radios and a 50-100watt high output base unit I will be buying next year to be hooked up also to it. I set up the lightning rod in the tree several years ago to protect it and draw it away from my home. It has work and the rod is 6 ft tall on the top made out of stainless steel. Mark

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
What are you waiting for, code is no longer required, it hasn't been for a few years now.

-------------|
-------------| <----vhf / uhf tri bander
-------------|
------------/ \
-------------I
-------------I
------------/\
-----------/ I \
---------/ --I--\ <----- 80 m inverted V
--------/ ---I---\
-------/-----I ---\
-------------I
-------------I
-------------I <- Tree
-------------I

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I better get on it. I see you can maybe take it on line now? I have to wait for winter to end to set up the tree due to ice and snow. I want to have it all ready before I go up again as it is a real pain to climb up till I get the ladder in place! I can weld up the ladder in my shop made out of box steel. Mark

·
Fire Fighter
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can take practice tests online. Your real test will be administered by Volunteer Examiners.
Thanks I just noticed that on a site you can practist. I got a 68% on a no study test off the top of my head so I see I need to study more! The last time I took this test was back in 89-90 or so. Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts