Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now been a member of this site for a week and I have finally decided how I am going to store water for my family and me. I have decided to use used food grade buckets (pickle buckets) form my friend restaurant to store hygiene water and the below 5 gallon buckets from Sportsman’s Warehouse for drinking and cooking water.

We live on a small little farm about 25 miles from town and get our water from a well that is about 129 feet deep.
The way I understand things is I need to mix regular bleach with the water so it will store long term and be safe when the time is needed.
I need some direction in this area …. Because I want to make sure I do it right the first time …. Also do I need to treat the hygiene water too?

Also if anyone wants to know I got the water contianers on sale for $6.99 at there store located on Piney Grove Rd in Columbia, SC.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would suggest ensuring you can withdrawal from said well instead. Second well? Gasifier powered generator to run well?
I have looked at a generator and a second well and they cost more money then I have to spend. I am a cop with six kids and a mother in law in the house .... my goal short term goal is to pepare for a week at a time ... Food, water, medical, fuel, misc ... once I get a week done then move or to week two until I get to 6 months ....

Baby steps ... this way I am able to keep my wife on the program ... I wish I had the money for a generator ... but at this point in my life ... $50 here and there is all I have ...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Stash the fifty when it comes up the next few times until you have enough to get a genny, it shouldn't take too much of one.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
glad to see a LEO here omn the forum.
it will be good to hear you chime in on some topics from a law enforcement point of view.
welcome aboard. sorry i cannot offer some suggestions.
my backup system for water is mainly my solar pv system which powers the well pump in an emergency. that is backed up with a diesel genny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sawyer has a .02 micron they guarantee for up to 1,000,000 gal. for just under $150.00. It fits on to a 5 gal. bucket. I figure that between this filter and Clorox, it's a rather inexpensive solution to water purification.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
storing water is a waste of time and money for you - figure out a way to draw the water w/o electricity and then use a sawyer filter if you must

i just dont see why you have to treat well water - should be fine - when in doubt it is the afe thing to do but

figure out your water table and follow my link above

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
A couple drops of bleach per jug should do it.
Keep them out of direct light and they will do well.
Also, save 2 liter bottles and use those for storage.
Save the cash for something else.

·
Registered
216 Posts
When you finish off a bottle of laundry bleach the tiny bit left in the jug is just about the perfect amount to treat the water it takes to fill the jug. Lable and date it and you just stored a gallon for free. With six kids and three adults it shouldn't take too long to store up some water this way.

·
"Old" is a state of mind
137 Posts
For what it's worth, my well is 367 feet deep so getting it out of the ground is one of the biggest problems I face. I have a brand new 5500 watt Briggs and Stratton generator that puts out 220v just for that purpose. It cost me $600 delivered. I considered it an absolute necessity.

The other problem I face is algae. I continuously inject chlorine into the well and that takes care of the problem. You can get a small Stenner model 45MPH2 injector pump with 15 gallon tank for around $300. I mix one gallon of bleach with 14 gallons of water and inject it continuously into the well. You can install it so that it only injects the chlorine mixture into your house plumbing and that would cut down on the amount of bleach you have to use. I can't do that as I have to put it directly into the well to control the algae.

I put a high priority on this as you can live with little or no food for quite a while but you HAVE to have water. One day in a hot climate, like we have here in Texas, and you're in big trouble without water.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
storing water is a waste of time and money for you - figure out a way to draw the water w/o electricity and then use a sawyer filter if you must

i just dont see why you have to treat well water - should be fine - when in doubt it is the afe thing to do but

figure out your water table and follow my link above
I'm with Busher. I have some stored water, untreated. I don't like chemicals in my water. I will treat the water with a filter when the time comes that I need it.

There are a lot of well water buckets that you can buy or designs you can use to make yourself. They are long and narrow so you can drop them into a well casing. Here's a link for a design that claims the parts cost under $10. Not sure when this article was written. The cost might be up to $15 by now.

here's a link:

Well water bucket design

I plan to filter water from nearby creeks when my tap runs dry.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If your concerned about the water coming from the well being contaminated you can go to your local manicipal water treatment plant and they will give you a sterile bottle that you can collect a sample in. Once you collect the sample you bring it back to them, usually within 12 hours is recommended and they will run a test to check your water for free. I wouldn't worry about the water from the the well being contaminated as much as I was anything that could be in the storage containers. Using 5 or 10 gallon containers will take up a ton of space. I would consider looking on craigslist and finding the 250 gal storage tanks. I see them all the time on my local craigslist for anywhere from free to $100.
The state waste management rules state that a 1.5 PPM of bleach will kill any living organisam in the water leaving a sew plant. If you leave the container open for 24 hrs the water will be safe to drink because bleach has a short "shelf life" even when stored in sealed containers. If you want to treat the bleached water you can use sulfer dioxide (SO2) to counter/cancel the bleach. Use a .5 -.75 PPM of SO2 to leave a zero residual.
You can also use ultra violet to kill organisams in your water but, that can get costly.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I believe the Red Cross and FEMA websites give instructions for water/bleach ratios. I would hate to give the wrong mixture and make your family sick. Google "well bucket", you cane make one of these for under $20. It basically uses PVC pipe and rope. Although a little labor intensive, it would save someone from dying of thirst is the stored water was all used.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts