Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Behind Enemy Lines
3,408 Posts
I feel for the guy, I really do, but you can't go back and "finish the job" if the threat is down. no state allows that. it is, unfortunately, murder.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I saw this story when it first broke. I knew the outcome was going to be bleak for him after he ran out the store behind the second suspect and the returned to shoot the already incapacitated suspect.

Just like police officers, the general public is liable for use of excessive force. In this particular case I feel like the pharmacist used excessive force. I dont know that it was worth life in prison but he was still in the wrong.

Moral to the story: Turn off the security camera before performing a public service.

I hope they at least can do something to get the sentence reduced.

·
Registered
8,171 Posts
It's very unfortunate that in a state that I would consider to be pro-gun and pro-common sense that the state could find a jury that would convict this man. I could see it in a places infested with stupidity like Boston or San Francisco, but in Oklahoma?

Ah well.

Guess he should have shot that first guy in the head 3 times up front, chased the other feller off, and called it a day.

Always remember that once you've gunned down the bad guy, that the stress of such a situation could easily make you pass out for long enough to cause a suitable 5-10 minute delay in calling 911 for the ambulance/police.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Don't think it should have been murder. Should have been a lesser charge of manslaughter without malice ... or something to that effect.

I feel terrible for the pharmiacist ... but if he wanted to do it right, he should have emptied 5 in the guy from the get-go. It would have been a non-issue had he done that. You just can't do what he did ... and if you do, you can't keep the f-ing video rolling, for God's sake.

·
Registered
4,004 Posts
I feel for the guy. I understand the emotion, I hope if I were in a similar situation; I would react better.

I hope after a year or two the sentence gets commuted.

·
Father of 11 husband of 1
10,935 Posts
not sure how Ok law works. In Ohio he could have been charged with voluntary manslaughter.
2903.03 Voluntary manslaughter.
(A) No person, while under the influence of sudden passion or in a sudden fit of rage, either of which is brought on by serious provocation occasioned by the victim that is reasonably sufficient to incite the person into using deadly force, shall knowingly cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another’s pregnancy.

(B) Whoever violates this section is guilty of voluntary manslaughter, a felony of the first degree.

The question would then be, could the suspect (that they are calling the victim) survived the shot to the head? If not, it was desecrating a corpse.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Once again the laws in the USA make it easier for the criminal and harder for the law abiding people. We will be seeing more of these mob videos as long as this is the case. .....................Empty the clip!!

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I agree completely, EMPTY THE MAG! But where this went south for the pharmacist is when he left the building for several seconds, came back in, looked at the guy on the floor, BEFORE going and getting a SECOND gun and emptying it into the "suspect" (purely legal term, theres no doubt this guy committed the initial crime).

When the pharmacist acted in this manner he had time to consider his actions... PREMEDITATED. Thats where the murder charge came in. Had he grabbed the second gun and just covered the guy it wouldnt have been an issue unless the guy made some threatening move.

However, I DO NOT think the pharmacist was thinking clearly at that point. A good lawyer wouldve pulled out a manslaughter charge if not an acquittal for temporary insanity. Why couldnt we have watched that case instead of the Anthony fiasco?
For that matter maybe the pharmacist should look into hiring her defense attorney....

·
Pantomime Villain
3,969 Posts
Well of course it was murder. The guy was down and out for the count - possibly dying from the head wound. Clearly no longer a threat - so not self defense. I don't feel pity for the dead robber nor much for the pharmacist. He acted excessively - he executed the guy, creep though he was. And there was no need for it to go this route - he should have double-tapped from the get go - everything after was either blood lust or spite.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think we should calculate how much it would have cost for the punks medical bills, trial, and housing in jail and give it to the shooter. I've been robed twice and anyone who steals should expect a gun waiting on them. Thats the only way we will ever stop it. (not alot of stealing over where they chop off a hand)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
He was certainly guilty, but not of first degree murder. I think you need more than a minute to "pre-meditate" a murder. He was still in the heat of the moment, and made a bad decision.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
This story fills my heart with sadness.... When I hear that the other dirt bag got away. However, the pharmacist should have had better judgement & realized the ugly realities of the world we live in today.

There is a small but, very loud & vocal minority of lunatics who root for the predators of society & they will do anything to make the victim who dared to defend himself look like the bad guy.

It doesn't matter if the robber is 6.6 & 280 lbs. if he's 12 hours short of his twentith birth day, the headlines will read "Teen shot & killed by gun violence". The media will search for days looking for a photo of the promising young schollar in his cap & gown, while searching frantically to find a photo of the armed victim looking angry or with a blank stare.

Always remember that once you neutralize the threat, there will be vultures looking for a law suit or lunatics looking to use you as an opertunity to spread their insanity. Keep your wits about you & don't violate the rules of engadgement, regardless of how much better the world will be if you do.

·
Never compromise.
5,674 Posts
Well.....personally, I don't think he was morally wrong. He's no more guilty of "murder" than if he put down a viscous animal. As a matter of fact, he did society a favor methinks.

Did he break the law? Yes. And until the law changes and/or we hit the reset button, then this is what we deal with. If the guy failed, it was in his training or lack thereof. Sufficient training, IMO, would have carried him thru the moment and took over when it was all done.....as opposed to his bonehead shots there at the end.

Just my humble opinion.

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Double Tap

Seems to me he was in a state of shock after the shooting. Have seen things like this happen when one is faced with a tramatic situation. Yes, what he did was "wrong", but geez. Wonder when he will be up for parole.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I agree, he did the general public a favor. There will be no future victims for this puke, because this guy eliminated a threat to society. They should give him a medal for public service instead.:thumb:

He has no business being sent to prison, since he's not a criminal. Our "just us" system is broken and there is no repairing it.

·
Old guy who plans ahead
1,918 Posts
He broke the one golden rule in life.

No matter what you do DON'T GET CAUGHT!

All of the problems in life seem to stem from getting caught. From being a litter bug to Watergate, its only a problem if you GET CAUGHT!

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I agree, he did the general public a favor. There will be no future victims for this puke, because this guy eliminated a threat to society. They should give him a medal for public service instead.:thumb:

He has no business being sent to prison, since he's not a criminal. Our "just us" system is broken and there is no repairing it.
Of the 5 "teenagers" Bernie Goetz shot on that N.Y. subway train, the only one who didn't go on to develope a long record of violent crime was the one he left paralized in a wheel chair. Too bad he wasn't a better shot.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts