Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I will be vacationing in Yellowstone in early-to-mid September and wanted to see if anyone has any advice for me (for those that have been there). Specifically, I am wondering where within the park would be my greatest odds at seeing a bear (grizzly or black). I have been doing some research and it seems like Lamar Valley is a good place as well as Mammouth.

Also, if anyone has any general advice about what to bring, transporting a firearm, etc., it would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks guys! :thumb:

GG

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be highly unusual if you did not see a bear.
It can get really, really cold in Yellowstone in September. (might want to add another "really")
I love being cold. :D: I will be staying in Bozeman at a chain hotel, so, the cold is not really too much of a concern. It looks like it will get down into the forties at night.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
If you get a chance go to the north-east section of the park and go to COOK CITY then drive up to beartooth pass its a sight that will stay with you forever. i usually stay in west yellowstone its a tourist trap but its a great friendly town. I was on the heletec crew fighting the yellowstone fire in 1988. i try to go there in the fall every other year Its a beautiful place. and it can get into the 20s in sept in the park at night and it can snow alot thats what basicly put out the fire in 88 was sept snow. Have fun.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Of the three bears we have seen in several trips to Yellowstone.
Two of the bears have been on the East side and one on the NW side.

Take a coat and a light jacket. Include gloves and a winter type hat.

Remember that only the north entrance is open year round. If they
get an early snow storm, it maybe you will have to leave that direction.

Since you dont say which direction you are coming from, West Yellowstone
is EXPENSIVE. We normally stay at Thermopolis Wy on the way up.
It is about 90 miles out from Cody.
Make your reservations online, it is cheaper.
Cody Wy is expensive also, but they have the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum.
Plan on spending all day there. They do have a family rate, you might check
their website.

Fill up with gas before entering the park. It is more expensive inside the park.
We normally stop at Cody and pickup lunchmeat, bread and chips. It cuts down
shelling out for a ten dollar hamburger fries and drink. Also get a case of bottled
water at walmart.

If you are coming from the east, Riverton and Lander Wy are good places to stop.
Then you can enter from Grand Teton.

Send me a PM if you have more questions. It used to be a yearly trip when my
grandmother was alive.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Hayden and Lamer Valleys are great animal spotting but time of day is important in the summer and a warm autumn. Away from the midday sun at dawn and dusk are the best animal spotting times, so I'd suggest an early start to then drive into Yellowstone Park. You'll be amazed how many tourists are already doing the same at 6-8am, munching on a packed breakfast and thermos of coffee.

Definitely have binoculars, even better is a spotting scope. Definitely will need sweaters, hoodie, layers, a lightweight rain jacket, warm hat, and sun hat. For hiking use proper hiking boots, not sneakers like so many use while slipping and sliding.

Stop and talk to every Park Ranger you see in a pull-in area, they hear of bear spottings and will share their knowledge if you're friendly. Bears also munch on the berrys and flora close to road's hills and slopes, so get your passengers to be constant spotters.

There is so much to see, take in and enjoy that I'd suggest you plan ahead and have a rough schedule of places to visit each day. Of course, don't have to stick to the schedule should a better opportunity present itself but its better than driving around aimlessly and miss the canyons, waterfalls, trails, lakes, hot springs. Borrow or buy any of the great books written describing the places to see.

If no luck seeing Bears in the Park (unlikely but it is chance), there's a Wolf and Bear conservation center just outside west Yellowstone over the Montana state line.

ENJOY !!! Yellowstone is America at its most beautiful.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for the amazing help! I will be there for 7 days, so, I am hoping that in that time period, I'll at least get to take one picture of a bear. I am staying in Bozeman, MT, so, will probably be using the Northeastern gate most often.

·
Banned
491 Posts
It would be highly unusual if you did not see a bear.
It can get really, really cold in Yellowstone in September. (might want to add another "really")
There is no guarantee of seeing a bear. Don't set the guy up to fail. And it's still pretty hot out here. As in, summer hot. September will probably be more of the same unless we get an early fall.

To the OP, get up early and beat all the casual tourists, you'll travel faster. You are picking a good time to come out though. Not nearly as many people in September. I would advise staying in down in West Yellowstone or Livingston if you can find a hotel available, though.

·
Psalm 23:4
2,891 Posts
Last summer I saw 7 grizzly in 3 days. All in different parts of the park and different times of day. Id reckon your odds are good.

Firearms are legal. I carried a large revolver. Long gun might bring you some trouble. Most of the buildings are NFA but that aint where you want to spend your time anyway. If you have a CC permit check WYs reciprocity with your state. Otherwise you can OC. Expect a few stares from foreign tourists.

·
Vampire Slayer
6,946 Posts
There is no guarantee of seeing a bear. Don't set the guy up to fail. And it's still pretty hot out here. As in, summer hot. September will probably be more of the same unless we get an early fall.

To the OP, get up early and beat all the casual tourists, you'll travel faster. You are picking a good time to come out though. Not nearly as many people in September. I would advise staying in down in West Yellowstone or Livingston if you can find a hotel available, though.
Didn't mean to set him up. Been a while since I was there but I saw a lot of bears, moose, elk, bison, etc. Maybe things have changed.
I was there in late September. It was very cold at night.

·
I'll bring the rope.
1,354 Posts
...Firearms are legal...Expect a few stares from foreign tourists.
Stares are perfectly acceptable; They will consider you "local color".

I am a big proponent of carrying in National Parks. Soon after they made it legal to do so I was in Denali, and a guy killed a Grizzly there with IIRC a .40 cal handgun while hiking the trails. It was ruled righteous.

Stories like that just warm my cockles.​

1 - 16 of 16 Posts