Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im thinking of getting a travel (telescoping or multipeace)rod and reel combo anyone have either style, likes or dislikes either or any recommendations.i would keep it in my trunk next to bob

·
Registered
153 Posts
I prefer sectional rods rather then telescopeing rods. Telescopeing rods will jam open or shut if they get banged up to badly or if grit gets in them. rhino's 4 piece rod is a very good rod that ive had no problems with, I keep it in a PVC tube with a screw on cap so it's impervious to grit and damage when it's strapped to my back pack. As far as reels any 50-60 dollar reels is good enough, Just avoid bait casters because they are unreliable and complicated.

·
Zomby Woof
14,246 Posts
Ditto on the sectional vs. tele rods.
As for reels, you will run into tons of opinions.
Here's one now!
For small reels I have Shakespeare cheap spinning reels in the 10 - 15 dollar range, get 2 or 3 then you'll have parts/replacements when needed.
For larger reels, Mitchell 301s can't be beat, I've got one from the 60s and one from the 80s and all the parts are interchangeable.

·
Grumpy Old Bastard
2,107 Posts
I've carried an Eagle Claw sectional rod (5 pieces if I remember correctly) all over remote Alaska. I've also carried both a baitcasting reel and a fly reel for this pole. The bottom section of the pole can be flipped so in one way, it'll work with your baitcaster, the other it'll work with your fly reel.

The eyelets on this rod are too small for a spinning reel as the line has to come out in big loops. That's why spinning rods have big eyelets at the bottom of the rod.

I've taken quite a few Dolly's and Rainbows with this rod, always a lot of fun. I'd never try it on a silver or king salmon, maybe a red or pink though..

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,112 Posts
I have had poor luck with the telescoping rod I tried, broke it in 2 hrs. On the other hand I have used the same 5pc pack rod since 1983. Buy quality not cheap junk.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I have alot of fishing rod to go in the car when SHTF but i have a 4' ugly stick that break in 2. Its light and can fit in any backpack and its impossilbe to break the rod, ive done some mean thing to it in my time and its still like new, i bought it 4 or 5years ago now.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have a 4 section Zebco rod that came with a Zebco 202 on it but I replaced it with Penn #9 baitcaster, the reel will last my lifetime and probably whoever gets it after me. It is in a leather pouch or bag and has a zipper on the big end. I also hate the telescoping rods, all I have seen are junk. I would sell the rod with the original 2502 reel if anyone is interested, due to I have a 3 foot stainless steel rod that I like better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a cheap telescopic rod. I wouldn't recommend it for your normal use rod but it works in a pinch and fits nice in my pack. I have brought in some pretty nice Bass and Crappie with it and a Zebco Pro Cast real.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts