Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One thing that I've noticed about us as a group. Every time somebody creates a list of supplies, nobody ever puts down traps as a survival item. I am not talking about all those bear traps either. What I am talking about is those simple, easy-to-use larger rat or mouse traps. Think about it. With those traps you could tie them down or secure them to something like a wire fence, bait them and then let them snap shut on rabbits, squirrels and birds. On top of that, those traps are cheaper than most other forms of traps that people equate with survival. In addition to using them to catch food, you can use them to make boobytraps and warning mechanisms for when intruders approach. This is just a thought. Has anybody else tried this idea or given it any thought?

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have a coil of brass wire I bought from the local arts & craft store. This wire is super for fashioning snares. I keep it in a sealed bag with one of those dessicant packages from a new shoe box to prevent corrosion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I think a rat trap secured with trip wire is an excellent idea for an early warning device. It makes one hell-of-ah loud snaping sound. I'll have to add that to my list of things to try, thanks...

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Jin traps are great for providing food.
But mouse and rat traps are great for protecting food.
It's no good having 100s of pounds of dry goods if the mice have chewed their way into it and ruined your rice and so on.

·
American fearmaker
14,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Axiality, there is a way in which you can drill a hole through the trap, bend the snap line, mount a shotgun shell and then have the trap set off the shotgun shell. It makes a very loud popping sound to act as your alarm. You can rig the trap with paracord & line so that it trips off like a regular boobytrap. If you hook it to an electrical line, you can use it to set off an explosive boobytrap like a claymore mine.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Jin traps are great for providing food.
But mouse and rat traps are great for protecting food.
It's no good having 100s of pounds of dry goods if the mice have chewed their way into it and ruined your rice and so on.
nice! this is a really good point that i never thought of. however, i did just get the obsurd vision of a 100lbs bag of rice with about 2 dozen mouse traps making a perimeter around the bag...:p
Kid_M

·
The West Coast Kid
164 Posts
It's funny you should mention that, I picked up a couple of rat traps on my last trip down to Canadian tire. I figured that they might be able to snag something in a pinch if snaring wasn't working in the area.

I also like the idea of a tripwire warning system. set it out a few dozen yards and you can wake up or be alerted to a loud snap.

Does anyone know if a rattrap can humanely kill a rabbit? That is assuming it goes for whatever bait you use.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Axiality, there is a way in which you can drill a hole through the trap, bend the snap line, mount a shotgun shell and then have the trap set off the shotgun shell. It makes a very loud popping sound to act as your alarm. You can rig the trap with para & line so that it trips off like a regular boobytrap. If you hook it to an electrical line, you can use it to set off an explosive boobytrap like a claymore mine.
I have seen them adjusted like that with 22 mag shells.

I have rat traps in my Bob adjusted for squirrels and ground hogs. I have mouse traps adjusted as warning devices.

I am not out to randomly kill people! I want to do it selectively and with a total lack of understanding, of those that would come to cause me and mine harm. One friend used to say. A corps laying in your yard is a great deterrent to random thief's and trespassers.

Don

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
We used to use rat traps with a dollar in them to catch thieves. Place them where people would rummage around and steal stuff. One evening a young man broke two fingers, SGTMAJ was not amused, used to be they wanted you to make them look like a thief.

That said rat traps are very useful, with our without shotgun shells, I prefer them with shells if SHTF. I will use wire for snares. There are a lot of types of snares and traps that can be used antipersonnel and for trapping.

If trapping please check your lines often. :eek:

·
V
21,713 Posts
Just found this thread today which was funny because I was thinking about traps yesterday and started looking locally.

Rat Traps are some of the best squirrel getters for the lazy

I wouldnt call it lazy, just smart, lay out the traps and get on with other things that need doing.

Have several premade snares packed plus wire for more, need to get some rat traps I can only find mouse in the shops near me.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
While it would be much faster to snipe a few tree rats with a 22 I agree that this would probably be a better use of time to set out traps and let them do the work for you while you do other important things. Ah yes, the joys of multi-tasking. Im all about working smarter not harder... I also like the fact that they are muchy quieter too than firing a gun such as a 22.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.