Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently heard about a way of catching pheasents using raisins, a cone and honey.
I own and allotment and i can legally catch animals on it that are "vermin" such as rabbits, pheasents or squirels, but i can't take my air rifle.:mad:
Has anyone got any other ideas of trapping small animals cheaply and humanly without needing big cages or metal traps?

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good Idea
But wouldn't you need to put it on an area where the animals always go through or can you use bait?
Because it's only a small plot of land and i need to get the animals onto my plot to catch them otherwise it's illegal poaching.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I learned about the cone bird trapping method from a man named Buckshot who used to have his own website. The trick is to put sticky pine tar around the rim of the cone. When the bird sticks his head in to get the goodies, he gets stuck. Since its dark inside, the bird thinks its night time and goes to sleep.

As far as using bait, you would have to check your state game laws. A lot of people put out a 'feed plot' to attract animals and birds where its legal. Good luck.

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Isn't a conibear a trap that is for beavers?
I think it's a bit inhumane though because i wouldn't be at the plot the whole time to check if the animal was caught. So i don't want to cause unnecessary pain.
but that is a good idea i could look for things along those lines.

I might be wrong though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Isn't a conibear a trap that is for beavers?
I think it's a bit inhumane though because i wouldn't be at the plot the whole time to check if the animal was caught. So i don't want to cause unnecessary pain.
but that is a good idea i could look for things along those lines.

I might be wrong though.
conibear is a brand name for bodygripper traps.....a 110 is a smaller size for animals like muskrats, mink and squirrels I'm not sure the dimensions but I think it's like 5" x 5". A 330 would be beaver size, 10" by 10". These traps kill the prey rather quickly, and most states require only a 3 day check if they are set in water.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
You can pick up a pack of Guitar Strings for about $ 3.50. I get the electric guitar ones that are thinner. They already have a little loop in the end for the snare.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have used spiderwire with small fishhooks to catch pheasant and ducks. Once they swallow them they are easy to pull in and dispatch them. I bait with bread.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My grandpa use to tell me to pour some molasses into the bottom of a styrafoam cup and then they stick their heads in and the cup sticks to their head and then they just sit there and you can go a pick them up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Take an old fish pole/sapling with no reel on it, and stick the handle securely in the ground. At the tip, tie string/wire and bend it down and tie it to a stake in the ground a foot or two away. Then have it so that a loose end of the wire has a loop for somthing to get caught in, and this loop is on a hair trigger of some sort. When the animal gets a foot/head/etc. in the loop it springs the trigger and then the pole/sapling will spring back, but the ther end is tied to the stake, so it will tighten the loop around the animal.(Oh yeah, make that loop a slipknot.)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts