Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Isaiah 41:10, Acts 5:29
5,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Although I'd rather carry gas on the outside of my car, because of the risk of theft if caught in gridlock or having to park and leave it temporarily (the dogs will guard the inside), is there a safe, non-messy, and non-smelly way to carry a couple of 5 gallon cans of gas inside the car if I have to BO? It's a hatchback, so no trunk.

Thank you.

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
My biggest concern when carrying gas inside a vehicle, which we do on occasion (just straight from the gas station home), is the possibility of a collision and the gas container being thrown and bursting. Therefore, I always strap it down with a bungee cord to minimize the chances.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Well, I once upon a time had this 5l cheap plastic gas can in the trunk...
...and one HOT summer day it expanded until a seam burst.

Old acrylic blanket melted and fused with trunk carpet, I had to separate them with a knife. Luckily it also absorbed most of the fuel. It took several weeks until smell faded enough that I didn't notice it anymore but others still did.

Before it broke, it was good in every way possible. Now I'm looking for a small metallic (roughly 5l/1gal) can...

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
...is there a safe, non-messy, and non-smelly way to carry a couple of 5 gallon cans of gas inside the car if I have to BO? It's a hatchback, so no trunk.
Safe? Not really. It's an assumed risk. Strap them down if at all possible. Besides the flammable nature of those containers, they could also become 40 lb projectiles during hard maneuvering or collision.

Non-messy? Place your filled fuel container/s into a deep plastic tub. That tub would contain any spillage or leakage.

Non-smelly? Tightly seal fuel containers, allow spillage from filling to evaporate before placing inside the vehicle, and vent vehicle windows while travelling. Turn on ac/vent fans. Don't smoke.

If you had an external storage rack (mounted to a rear hitch or roof), you could always move external fuel containers inside your vehicle when you stop (for security). Possibly do that at a short halt (out of public view) just before you arrive at your planned long halt.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
I would build some kind of steel mesh lock-box trailer hitch contraption vs keeping the cans inside the vehicle. It just isn't fun. The cans always seem to vent fumes with temp and elevation changes pretty much no matter what you do.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Gasoline Storage Inside Vehicles NOT A Good Idea ...

Perhaps you can rig up some sort of roof rack that will handle your gas can needs? No matter how you do it, it may be a dead give a way, (pun intended) visual print that you have the extra gas cans. No easy solution.

Traveling in a vehicle with gas or propane tanks INSIDE the car may not be a good idea. Too many interesting things can happen and none of them are good. Consider a second fuel tank? A larger OEM tank replacement?

Dunno. HB of CJ (old coot) ex FF Haul a small trailer?

·
reluctant sinner
16,984 Posts
+1 for a small trailer. Mount a gas tank (or two) on its underside. A universal electric fuel pump could transfer it to your main tank. A manual fuel selector and quick disconnect fitting would be a nice touch.

You could use boat gas tanks and the fittings with a electric pump.

Stage some preserved 100% gasoline along the route(s). 2 buried 20l NATO cans (tarred) less than $150 per cache. Ought to be good for many years, cost less than $1 per mile.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
If you can get hold of the old original GI gas cans and good gaskets, they will SEAL. They don't vent. You can still get them on occasion I bought three at a garage sale, two were good one leaked. That gives me 6 altogether.

They haul well if you can also get a couple of the carrier bases for them. I bolted two of them back to back. You place two cans in the carriers and tie the tops of the cans together. The whole rig is nearly square and hard to tip over.

AZ. Rancher says he knows how to buy them and repair leaky ones. He will probably be posting here.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
i went to a fund raiser for an idiot who had a full gas can in the cab of his truck in the snow and lit a smoke. poof. burnt the crap out of him. sax player from elvin bishop played.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Re: Secure gas on outside

I am in South Africa, so what I did may not apply, but I got 2 metal Jerry cans because unlike the plastic ones they have a place that the lids latch down and will take more effort to puncture. I attached them to the roof rack of my Jeep with a chain and padlock that I laced through the lids so that it was not possible to open them and went to Kenya and back with them. It was a good thing I had them because there was no petrol to be had in northern Zambia, only diesel.:xeye: I was concerned about theft, but I camouflaged them by covering them with garbage bags so it looked like a bag of trash from a distance. If anyone got close enough they could try to steal the gas, but at least they would have had to have tools to do so. My chain was as standard metal bicycle style chain that I protected from the elements with a piece of soft clear plastic tubing that I fed it into. I bought both at the hardware store.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I've found a huge variability in 5-gallon gas cans. The specifics narrow down to your best option, either #2 or #3.

1/. Plastic rectangular : PRO: cheap to buy, multiple handles make them the easiest to lift, rotate and pour. CON : they leak, smell and are the least solid.

2/. Plastic flat Rotopax brand : PRO : easily locked and secured wherever you want on Rotopax mounts. CON : darn expensive so I haven't tried them.

3/. Metal circular : PRO : well made for years of use, the lid seals tight and less smell. CON : expensive, the single top handle makes it cumbersome to lift, rotate and pour.

4/. Metal rectangular, ie Blitz GI style. PRO : can purchase metal carrier to attach to rear bumper and safely transport, are narrow and tall so storing multiple cans take less storage space. CON : expensive and the most cumbersome of all to lift, rotate, pour and empty into a gas tank.

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
I am thinking about making a mount that bolts to my spare tire to hold a Jerry can on the back of the BOV, just haven't gotten around to it. I have a good can and I think I have one of the bases around here somewhere.

·
reluctant sinner
16,984 Posts
Conabear? made a US GI gas can carrier the fit on the spare tire mount using the same studs that held the tire in place. Very sturdy and is adjustable for the wheel offset depth. I have one for my Land Cruiser. I put a 12 gallon aux tank behind the axle bringing my on board gas to 30 gallons. My manual fuel selector has an open port which some day will go to the tank in the trailer.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up some used military water cans and some red krylon fusion and sprayed them red for gas. I put them in the back of my truck which has a cover on it and once the lids are tightened down I can't smell any gas fumes. I am thinking about doing the same with the 10 liter (2.5 gal) versions to stick one in my wife's van. I have seen these cans get the snot kicked out of them while I was in the army so I have some confidence in them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have traveled the world and hatch backs are not that secure even if you find a way to put it in the hatchback they could just break the glass if they wanted to what I would suggest is a five gallon boat tank blted down some how and ventad to the out side and fill able to the out side. You could do this with minore hard ware from the auto parts and some enginuty. You couls even use an old beer kegg this is done in many hot rod aplications. Not only could it be in the car this way but it could be even done so the flip of a switch and no mess of even leaveing the in side of the car where your safe.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
i agree with adding a second gas tank in your hatchback. a 10-15 gallon aluminum tank will take up some space for sure, but can't be beat for safety and security when wanting extra gas.
buying a used tank, the hose, and the tank switch can all be done for under $100. at least i did mine for that.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
My biggest concern when carrying gas inside a vehicle, which we do on occasion (just straight from the gas station home), is the possibility of a collision and the gas container being thrown and bursting. Therefore, I always strap it down with a bungee cord to minimize the chances.

That bungee going to restrain the 45lb package for a 9G incident? I don't think so.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts