Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this is on here somewhere already, I could not find it under search key word "propane"

I wonder can someone tall me what equipment I need and the procedure to safely transfer propane from one tank to another?

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
I am sorry if this is on here somewhere already, I could not find it under search key word "propane"

I wonder can someone tall me what equipment I need and the procedure to safely transfer propane from one tank to another?
Do a search for a thread titled "Propane - a primer for preppers", I wrote it a couple of years back, there is a couple of good posts in there that discuss it and detail the steps.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Are you talking about transferring it from a large tank to another large tank or are you wanting to fill smaller tanks/bottles from a large tank on a regular basis?

SD

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,241 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moving propane

Are you talking about transferring it from a large tank to another large tank or are you wanting to fill smaller tanks/bottles from a large tank on a regular basis?

SD
We use propane here at home but also have large tanks set up at a couple of grain drying bins, there are many of them scattered around here. It occurred to me that I might want to move that propane some day. So from a large tank to a smaller portable tank and into the one here at home was the idea. (Without blowing myself up)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I was in the propane business for 30 years.
Transferring from one tank to another is NOT an easy task,there are many factors involved.i.e.; transfer from large ASME tank to a DOT cylinder, cylinder to cylinder transfer etc.
Without the use of a vapor pump or liquid transfer pump you will only be able to transfer fuel until both tanks equalize pressures and you will only transfer vapors unless you have a way to get the valve on the supply tank into the liquid.there are specialty valves and equip used by propane companies that are not usually available to the general public.I have seen people make hoses to accomplish this task but they use a hose that's rated at 125 psi.large propane tank pressures are up to 250psi,especially during the warmer months.My recommendation is don't try it your self,call your propane supplier,competition is tight among suppliers maybe you can get them to do it for free,or get them to rent you a "wet line" and show you the safe way to gravity fill.
I was in the business for 30 years and fuel transfers was one thing that still made me nervous after all those years
Questions?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was in the propane business for 30 years.
Transferring from one tank to another is NOT an easy task,there are many factors involved.i.e.; transfer from large ASME tank to a DOT cylinder, cylinder to cylinder transfer etc.
Without the use of a vapor pump or liquid transfer pump you will only be able to transfer fuel until both tanks equalize pressures and you will only transfer vapors unless you have a way to get the valve on the supply tank into the liquid.there are specialty valves and equip used by propane companies that are not usually available to the general public.I have seen people make hoses to accomplish this task but they use a hose that's rated at 125 psi.large propane tank pressures are up to 250psi,especially during the warmer months.My recommendation is don't try it your self,call your propane supplier,competition is tight among suppliers maybe you can get them to do it for free,or get them to rent you a "wet line" and show you the safe way to gravity fill.
I was in the business for 30 years and fuel transfers was one thing that still made me nervous after all those years
Questions?
After reading these and other posts I am about ready to give up on this idea. Maybe I need to think about ways to move the tanks themselves? Thank you.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts