Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Lurker
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been looking at different training schools a lot the past few years. Whether it is CoVid, the left wing right extremes, general chaos or other panics too numerous to list, there are more schools now than ever before. Also after 20+ years of war a lot of military professionals are offering up their skills. So my question is, who here has first hand experience with some they would recommend? My subject matter is very broad ranging from bushcraft and outdoor survival to firearm and medical training. My experience is limited outside of LE schools I completed. I have went to several schools taught by Randalls Adventure and Training however. I would rate them 5/5 stars on everything. Price point is great for the training and attention you receive. The quality of training is fantastic. The instructors are amazing and extremely focused about what they do. Their passion shows from classroom lectures through on site training. If they aren’t training students they are training themselves by volunteering helping local emergency agencies with search and rescue missions. All of the instructors have an impressive resume and it shows in training. Some schools I have looked are:

Tactical Response
Price is reasonable and instructors seem legit. I’ve heard a lot of good things.

Fieldcraft Survival Training
Top notch instructors. Prices seems a little steep though.

https://thepeakinc.com
This is in Butte MT. I would LOVE to do some classes there!

RAT Courses
Cant say enough good about these guys!

Chime in your thoughts please. I’m on the East coast in Western NC.

·
reluctant sinner
20,170 Posts
Nothing wrong with training as a concept. Some classes/instructors are better than others. Actual doing is better than watching vids which is better than reading about doing it IMHO. Youtube has tons of good stuff and likely way more of people that just like to hear themselves talk - low information content.

For most people they could use some additional driving skills and mechanical skills to get wherever in/on the BOV.
General Jerry rigging skills are very handy when making do with what you can find to supplement what you have.

Anything you can fix, is money you could spend on preps or training. Tons of free/broken stuff to practice on, stuff that can't be fixed economically can be scrapped out for metal and sold, plus you get to keep nut, bolts, screw and washers, connector for other repairs. Things that are fixed can used, sold, bartered or donated but you for get to keep the skills developed by fixing stuff - never know when that will be handy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I had a trusted friend go to a tactical response course. He said he couldn't get out of there quick enough. There was an ND waiting to happen. It may have changed as this was a few years ago. I'd recommend watching some YouTube vids of recent classes. Looks for sweeping etc. Good luck.

ETA is like to find a basic handgun class for my daughter in the Chattanooga/North Georgia area.
Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

·
Lurker
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a trusted friend go to a tactical response course. He said he couldn't get out of there quick enough. There was an ND waiting to happen. It may have changed as this was a few years ago. I'd recommend watching some YouTube vids of recent classes. Looks for sweeping etc. Good luck.

ETA is like to find a basic handgun class for my daughter in the Chattanooga/North Georgia area.
I saw a video tactical response posted that showed the whole shooting line walking toward the targets side by side with everyone engaging on the move. Maybe 10-12 people, walking and shooting. I about 💩💩. I’m particular who I train with let alone move and shoot beside. That’s the only bad thing I’ve noticed. It only takes one though.

·
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
501 Posts

Go to nrainstructors.org and search on desired location you should find many qualified instructors (unfortunately some poor ones as well) research the list and find a good one.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Ref Tactical Response, I know James. I like James. No way in hell do I want his name anywhere on my training resume. Same thing with Gabe Suarez.

In no particular order, I have been to classes with:
Pat Rogers (RIP)
Louis Awerbuck (RIP)
Steve Tarani
Steve Fisher
Rogers Shooting School
Frontsite (got free classes, went to see what it was like, would not go back)
David Scott Donelan
Chuck Pressburg,
John "Shrek" Mcphee
Tim Herron
Max Michel
Green Ops
Chuck Haggard
Rob Leatham
Phil Singleton
Mike Pannone
Buck Doyle
BSR
Blackwater/Academi/Xe
Tigerswan
Pat Mcnamara
Frank Proctor
Will Petty
Chase Jenkins
Dark Angel Medical
Lone Star Medics
ITTS
Gunsite
Varg Freeborn
Tom Givens
John Hearne
Shaw Shooting
Mid-South
DARC
Kyle Defoor
Rob Trevino
John Farnam
Performance 360
Rob Haught
Rifles Only
Accuracy 1st
GPS Defense
Glock Training
Sig Sauer Academy
S&W Academy
Storm Mountain Training Center
CSAT
Trident
TEES
(I know I'm forgetting some)

Several LE schools

Several military schools

With the exception of Frontsite, I would not hesitate to recommend any of them, depending on what you are looking for.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
There are so many no cost training opportunities, it is the gasoline to drive there that gets a little expensive.

East Coast PReppers, Troy, Virginia - about halfway between Richmond's I-285 Beltway and Charlottesville, offers mostly free intro and advanced field classes. Bob Snow, a retired corporate acft pilot runs the facility. Of course he does hope student attendees will buy foods and some other stuff from his colocated store. Bob is a Saint and they're inta' foods.

I have yet to attend since the classes don't mesh with my requirements but in our Hurricane Alley Prep Group, 2 of my members attended classes.

For being free, it's worth signing up. I believe you're in western North Carolina. It would surely be a wekend trip for your people and you - but area of Troy is nice (just south of I-64 at Zion's Crossroad, Fork Union (famous High School at this location).

The Chesapeake Bay "institutes" - various names has varied programs involving the Bay. I like the shore edible botany tours/walking seminar(s). Much available for learning preparedness.

Here in this same area, there are many, many day and 2 day free classes on various. I took a day class on psychological first aid. It was not the best but well worth the drive and attending. The instructors were "pushing" suicide prevention and the group had to show their affiliation with prevention. I personally was singled out because I believe in some programs like Oregan's physician - assisted suicide when 6 months to live as per 2 progonises of 2 Medical Docs.

Also took a free class on CPR. It only cost a little if seeking some level to get a formal certificate issued by national authorities. Being retired, my resume is already packed so only sought a completion certificate.

I took a free class on when someone overdoses on something like the opiates. We were all given a RX prescript for some pill. I do not get into this aspect; just the knowledge sections.

Many opportunities just by hanging out with the right crews (eg preppers) and showing up.

·
Lux in Tenebris
8,088 Posts
I’ve been looking at different training schools a lot the past few years. Whether it is CoVid, the left wing right extremes, general chaos or other panics too numerous to list, there are more schools now than ever before. Also after 20+ years of war a lot of military professionals are offering up their skills. So my question is, who here has first hand experience with some they would recommend? My subject matter is very broad ranging from bushcraft and outdoor survival to firearm and medical training. My experience is limited outside of LE schools I completed. I have went to several schools taught by Randalls Adventure and Training however. I would rate them 5/5 stars on everything. Price point is great for the training and attention you receive. The quality of training is fantastic. The instructors are amazing and extremely focused about what they do. Their passion shows from classroom lectures through on site training. If they aren’t training students they are training themselves by volunteering helping local emergency agencies with search and rescue missions. All of the instructors have an impressive resume and it shows in training. Some schools I have looked are:

Tactical Response
Price is reasonable and instructors seem legit. I’ve heard a lot of good things.

Fieldcraft Survival Training
Top notch instructors. Prices seems a little steep though.

https://thepeakinc.com
This is in Butte MT. I would LOVE to do some classes there!

RAT Courses
Cant say enough good about these guys!

Chime in your thoughts please. I’m on the East coast in Western NC.
you should hit nc scouts classes: Training Courses

the best time and money i have spent....

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
There are so many no cost training opportunities, it is the gasoline to drive there that gets a little expensive.

East Coast PReppers, Troy, Virginia - about halfway between Richmond's I-285 Beltway and Charlottesville, offers mostly free intro and advanced field classes. Bob Snow, a retired corporate acft pilot runs the facility. Of course he does hope student attendees will buy foods and some other stuff from his colocated store. Bob is a Saint and they're inta' foods.

I have yet to attend since the classes don't mesh with my requirements but in our Hurricane Alley Prep Group, 2 of my members attended classes.

For being free, it's worth signing up. I believe you're in western North Carolina. It would surely be a wekend trip for your people and you - but area of Troy is nice (just south of I-64 at Zion's Crossroad, Fork Union (famous High School at this location).

The Chesapeake Bay "institutes" - various names has varied programs involving the Bay. I like the shore edible botany tours/walking seminar(s). Much available for learning preparedness.

Here in this same area, there are many, many day and 2 day free classes on various. I took a day class on psychological first aid. It was not the best but well worth the drive and attending. The instructors were "pushing" suicide prevention and the group had to show their affiliation with prevention. I personally was singled out because I believe in some programs like Oregan's physician - assisted suicide when 6 months to live as per 2 progonises of 2 Medical Docs.

Also took a free class on CPR. It only cost a little if seeking some level to get a formal certificate issued by national authorities. Being retired, my resume is already packed so only sought a completion certificate.

I took a free class on when someone overdoses on something like the opiates. We were all given a RX prescript for some pill. I do not get into this aspect; just the knowledge sections.

Many opportunities just by hanging out with the right crews (eg preppers) and showing up.
east coast preppers. com will open their story this Saturday PM. The current announcement of this has link to some free courses pending.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts