Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Padre in the woods
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't judge, but one of the guys at the shop pointed me to a page on Pinterest which deals with off-road trailers. First thought... ideal bugout accessory.

Tire Wheel Sky Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Truck Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Some of them start at $7K, but one in the list was $32K but it had a refrigerator and gas stove, articulating wheels, and could haul as much as (2) regular pickup trucks, and has a sleeping compartment. Might be interesting to put a pen to the material costs and build one. One of the posters used the aluminum cap to a pickup for the top, and then put sides on it. He stated in his article that his build was about $9,600 for a 12' x 6.6' x 5'. Pictures are of versions built by companies. Pretty cool.

·
Dirt Dweller
1,038 Posts
Tear drops are awesome. The are the ideal combination BOL and BOV. Off road without the fancy galley is ideal. Youll run out propane soon enough. Get solar chargers for refrigeration and cover the whole area with camo and brush. You can wait out the crisis ( I hope).

·
Registered
298 Posts
This is my teardrop. It’s a 2020 Nucamp Tag Boondock Lite. Yes, the name is longer than the trailer! LOL I bought it new, in April of 2020. I am beyond happy with it. I’ve camped with it in 16 states and all over Texas. I am a minimalist backpacker, so this trailer is like a suite at the Hilton, to me.

It’s essentially a queen size bed, on wheels. It has a TV, A/C, some small shelves and cabinets for storage. It also has some storage under the bed. The outdoor kitchen has a small sink, a stove and a Yeti Cooler on a tray, that slides out.

I am retired. I camp in it about 10 days a month. I just returned from a two week trip to the Deep South. Because of its small size, I can store it in my garage.

A setup like this obviously won’t work for more than two people. If you have kids, don’t even think about it. You can purchase some trailers you can stand up in for the price of these, but I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. I have no regrets. It weighs 1200 pounds and pulls just fine with my 2001 Toyota 4Runner.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Car Plant Tire Land vehicle
Bumper Picture frame Gas Automotive exterior Automotive lighting
Purple Gas Tints and shades Electric blue Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Trunk Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Purrpared
875 Posts
Those are a little smaller than what I'm looking to live in, but I really like the construction. Made in USA, and according to their website they're in Georgia and they're hiring.

I wish the truck camper and trailer companies would start fusing durability and 4-season capability with looks. So many I've looked at are comfortable for a weekend or even a couple weeks boondocking, but when I'm out and around just in my own neighborhood there are increasing numbers of people living in them full time.

I would love to see an Arctic Fox 865 / Drifter hybrid. I'd buy it in a heartbeat, particularly if they found a way to make it towable by something less than a tank.

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
This is my teardrop. It’s a 2020 Nucamp Tag Boondock Lite. Yes, the name is longer than the trailer! LOL I bought it new, in April of 2020. I am beyond happy with it. I’ve camped with it in 16 states and all over Texas. I am a minimalist backpacker, so this trailer is like a suite at the Hilton, to me.

It’s essentially a queen size bed, on wheels. It has a TV, A/C, some small shelves and cabinets for storage. It also has some storage under the bed. The outdoor kitchen has a small sink, a stove and a Yeti Cooler on a tray, that slides out.

I am retired. I camp in it about 10 days a month. I just returned from a two week trip to the Deep South. Because of its small size, I can store it in my garage.

A setup like this obviously won’t work for more than two people. If you have kids, don’t even think about it. You can purchase some trailers you can stand up in for the price of these, but I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. I have no regrets. It weighs 1200 pounds and pulls just fine with my 2001 Toyota 4Runner. View attachment 387508 View attachment 387509 View attachment 387510 View attachment 387511 View attachment 387512
Someday, when my trailer grows up....

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,657 Posts
My wife and I used to do a lot of camping. We started out backpacking in a tent, and ultimately I bought an eight ft Lance camper, and mounted it on my diesel 4wd pickup.

But that solution requires a heavy pickup, and we had very limited storage. So we sold the Lance, and got a used 5th wheel. I found that I did not like towing the much bigger 5th wheel, so after retirement, I bought a nice light single axel camp trailer.

A small RV company called Braxron Creek started out building teardrops, but recently they branched out, and started building camp trailers with an indoor kitchen and bathroom. I bought a 17ft camp trailer that is the same 6.5 ft body width as a full sized pickup, and it tracks right behind me.

A modern camp trailer like ours is incredibly light (2500 lbs empty) and has a modest storage room and payload. It have towed it on some rough roads, and anything not tied down tends to bounce around a lot. But it leaves the pickup bed empty, so we can carry what we want there.
Wheel Tire Sky Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
358 Posts
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

I built 1 back in 2015. It's pretty crude but it is so much better than sleeping on the ground. Yep basically a bed on wheels. I recently added a diesel air heater to it. I always cover it with a canopy just to preserve it since paint is its only protection.

At the time it was my only trailer so I added receiver tube at each corner and have 4 tongue jacks that slip in and the camper can be removed. Those also double as table spots.

If I was to do anything different I would have bought factory made doors but at the time they were like $400ea. 1 would have almost doubled build cost. I have roughly $500 into it I think.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Do I spy a Power Wagon there?

View attachment 387608

I built 1 back in 2015. It's pretty crude but it is so much better than sleeping on the ground. Yep basically a bed on wheels. I recently added a diesel air heater to it. I always cover it with a canopy just to preserve it since paint is its only protection.

At the time it was my only trailer so I added receiver tube at each corner and have 4 tongue jacks that slip in and the camper can be removed. Those also double as table spots.

If I was to do anything different I would have bought factory made doors but at the time they were like $400ea. 1 would have almost doubled build cost. I have roughly $500 into it I think.

·
Survivor
17,448 Posts
Nice options, I have been thinking about building a camper pod that will slide onto my 4' X 7' TSC cargo trailer. Something along the lines of a teardrop but with a flat rear wall for more storage room.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts