Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Craft
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So does anyone here use Gaiters? I know they are great on cold weather hikes. Also good for keeping the water off of my legs from rubbing against brush when its wet out. Another thing I like them for is when walking through thick brush, it helps with briar patches.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I wear snake gaiters a lot during the summer.
I used to wear insulated gaiters in the winter while riding a motorcycle off road.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have a pair of Gore Tex gaiters from Cabelas. I use them for hunting in wet conditions (snow, rain). Gore Tex is a must for that. Other gaiters would be soaked through by the end of the day. Invaluable hunting accessory.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Started using them a long time ago cross country skiing. They work well in wet weather or most anytime in tall grass and morning due and even in the summer trail hiking with shorts. Spray down good with deet to keep ticks and chiggers at bay without having the deet on your skin.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
They're great in snow, or even rain to help keep your feet dry.

In the summer, I use them a fair amount when bushwhacking. They help protect your legs from briars if you're wearing shorts or help keep crap out of the top of your boots. And sprayed with permethrin, they keep the vast majority of the ticks off you since most come from your lower legs and climb up. Permethrin doesn't just repel them, it kills them. And it stays put for several weeks, even in the rain or the washing machine.

Even lightweight gaiters can help with snakes as they strike at the gaiter instead of your leg. With loose fitting gaiters, you're less likely to actually get envenomed.

Az

1 - 10 of 10 Posts