Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get into reloading for my SKS, and I need brass. Yes, I know all the arguments about it being cheaper to buy Wolf ammo, but regardless...

I have about 70 .40 S&W cases (about 12 oz.) or about 100 9mm cases (about 12 oz.) that I would like to trade for an equivalent weight of 7.62x39 brass (I'm guessing that would be about 30-40 cases).

Now for reloading, I need actual brass, not steel.

Anyone interested? Shipping 12 oz, even across the country, only costs about $3.50 via First Class Package, so it makes sense cost-wise, since new .40 S&W brass costs about $20/50 rounds not including shipping.

If you've got some "extra" 7.62x39 brass laying around, and need some .40 S&W, or 9mm...contact me.

rick

·
Registered
937 Posts
Hey Rick I saw someone looking to trade a lot of brass I think it was .223 for the brass you have and I think he might have some 7.62x39. I will check with him and if he does I will send him your way and to the board.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
If you are looking for such a small amount look on gunbroker.

IMO reloading isn't worth it if all you are going to reload is a few hundred cases. The economics of reloading are not good until you get into 1000 or 2000 cases.

Now if you ever want some brand new Winchester 7.62X39 cases let me know.... I have about 20,000 of them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are looking for such a small amount look on gunbroker.

IMO reloading isn't worth it if all you are going to reload is a few hundred cases. The economics of reloading are not good until you get into 1000 or 2000 cases.

Now if you ever want some brand new Winchester 7.62X39 cases let me know.... I have about 20,000 of them.
Twenty thousand cases?!! Are you joking or are you a vendor of reloading supplies?

Yes, I know it's cheaper (right now) to buy commercial ammo like Wolf, but I'm concerned that this situation may change. I'd also like to see about getting some of the increase in accuracy that I've seen by some other SKS users/reloaders shown on other websites. And, yes, I'm talking about maybe 100 rounds/month.

So, here's what I'm thinking...a Lee Hand Press Kit (about $30), the necessary Lee dies (about $21), so far I'm under $60 for the "non-consumables"...

Now consumable supplies:

Winchester 7.62 X 39MM bullets 123 PP per 100 $18.99

WOLF LARGE RIFLE MAG PRIMERS - per 1000 $19.00

ACCURATE 1680 Powder- 1 LB. $15.00

Total consumables (less brass): $53.00 or about $37/100 rounds

If I have to purchase brass, Winchester LR 7.62 x 39 RUSSIAN - PER 50 $16.21
If I can swap brass with someone, about $3.50 - $4.50 postage per 50

So, using this reloading cost calculator on the web (http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp), and plugging in some costs for small lots I'd be dealing with, it comes to about $ .61/round, with componants purchased new. Not great, but not going to break the bank.

However, that drops to about $ .35/round when you use swapped brass, and drops again to about $.25/round reusing your own brass. Certainly practical.

rick

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Twenty thousand cases?!! Are you joking or are you a vendor of reloading supplies?

I found a guy in Montana (or maybe Wyoming?) who was closing out his fathers gun shop and he had something like 250,000 cases of Winchester 7.62X39. He offered them all to me for 10 cents a case but I could afford it. I probably could have tripled my money though.

I ended up buying 10,000 cases and when they arrived I bought 10,000 more but by then he had sold all the rest.

A few years ago I found a company in Pennsylvania that was selling 5.56X45 brass by the 55 gallon drum and they had 13 drums and wanted someone who would agree to take the brass off their hands for a dollar per pound. Again I didn't have the money or the space to do that and Ive been kicking myself ever since.

If you look around you can find deals like this. The only problem is having enough money to take advantage of it.

·
Immortal
1,411 Posts
They are worth ten cents per case to me. That's what I buy them at when I can find that price. It is harder to find now than it was a few years ago. Are these small primer pocket or large primer pocket?

·
BulletMaster
1,387 Posts
If there Win. cases they take LR primers only the Rem. case take SR primers. Remington was suppose to be producing new X39 brass with LR primers but I haven't seen any yet.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I buy loded ammunition for the brass. $16 for 50 rounds is a gret deal on new winchester brass.

Do yourself a favor, skip the lee hand reloader. How do you feel about seating a primer in with a hammer? The lee challenger kit is about $100 or so and has almost everything you need to get started.

I reload for military rfile competitions. A big concern is finding way not to loose your brass at the range. I recenetly made a big net to catch it. IT's real annoying otherwise, and close to impossible to retrieve in the winter too.

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I buy loded ammunition for the brass. $16 for 50 rounds is a gret deal on new winchester brass.

Do yourself a favor, skip the lee hand reloader. How do you feel about seating a primer in with a hammer? The lee challenger kit is about $100 or so and has almost everything you need to get started.

I reload for military rfile competitions. A big concern is finding way not to loose your brass at the range. I recenetly made a big net to catch it. IT's real annoying otherwise, and close to impossible to retrieve in the winter too.
X2 :thumb:

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
I want to get into reloading for my SKS, and I need brass. Yes, I know all the arguments about it being cheaper to buy Wolf ammo, but regardless...

I have about 70 .40 S&W cases (about 12 oz.) or about 100 9mm cases (about 12 oz.) that I would like to trade for an equivalent weight of 7.62x39 brass (I'm guessing that would be about 30-40 cases).

Now for reloading, I need actual brass, not steel.

Anyone interested? Shipping 12 oz, even across the country, only costs about $3.50 via First Class Package, so it makes sense cost-wise, since new .40 S&W brass costs about $20/50 rounds not including shipping.

If you've got some "extra" 7.62x39 brass laying around, and need some .40 S&W, or 9mm...contact me.

rick
I should be doing a range cleanup today, If i run in to any I will trade you for some 9mm.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
If there Win. cases they take LR primers only the Rem. case take SR primers. Remington was suppose to be producing new X39 brass with LR primers but I haven't seen any yet.
I bought 2 boxes of Remington at wally world last year one box was small primer and one was Large primer. They also use different powders. one was spherical shaped the other was cylindrical. dont remember which was which though.

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
Shipping 12 oz, even across the country, only costs about $3.50 via First Class Package, so it makes sense cost-wise, since new .40 S&W brass costs about $20/50 rounds not including shipping. rick
It costs less than that. If you ship brass, or anything heavy, use the USPS Priority Mail boxes that advertise, "If It Fits....It Ships, Up To 70 Pounds" I just received 2,500 rounds of once fired .223 brass from Brassman Brass that way. Cost was just $110.00. (It's now $147.50). FYI, 2,500 rounds of .223 brass fills a 5 gallon pail over 2/3rds of the way full. Bill T.

http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servlet/StoreFront

https://www.prioritymail.com/flatrates.asp

·
Registered
4,251 Posts

Yes, I know it's cheaper (right now) to buy commercial ammo like Wolf, but I'm concerned that this situation may change. I'd also like to see about getting some of the increase in accuracy that I've seen by some other SKS users/reloaders shown on other websites. And, yes, I'm talking about maybe 100 rounds/month.

So, here's what I'm thinking...a Lee Hand Press Kit (about $30), the necessary Lee dies (about $21), so far I'm under $60 for the "non-consumables"...

Now consumable supplies:

Winchester 7.62 X 39MM bullets 123 PP per 100 $18.99

WOLF LARGE RIFLE MAG PRIMERS - per 1000 $19.00

ACCURATE 1680 Powder- 1 LB. $15.00

Total consumables (less brass): $53.00 or about $37/100 rounds

If I have to purchase brass, Winchester LR 7.62 x 39 RUSSIAN - PER 50 $16.21
If I can swap brass with someone, about $3.50 - $4.50 postage per 50

So, using this reloading cost calculator on the web (http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp), and plugging in some costs for small lots I'd be dealing with, it comes to about $ .61/round, with componants purchased new. Not great, but not going to break the bank.

However, that drops to about $ .35/round when you use swapped brass, and drops again to about $.25/round reusing your own brass. Certainly practical.

rick
Do yourself a favor and buy a Lee Challenger Breechlock single station press for about $55 - $60. This press uses standard dies but the dies thread into a quick release die adapter. Once each die is adjusted...it remains that way and removes/installs in the press in seconds. This is the best way to start reloading in my opinion since it's still a single station unit.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I might be interested if the price is reasonable. I fall into the camp of those who rely on Wolf for shooting ammo. I probably have 2500 rds of boxer reloads made-up but it doesn't make economic sense reloading that caliber when you compare the cost. Then there's the problem of retrieving the cases after they fly-off into the desert. No fun if you have to worry about brass catchers either.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts