Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a nurse, by trade, trying to prepare for an uncertain future. My son is interested in the health field as well. He is planning to get into a nursing program, shortly.

I am trying to steer him, and myself, in the direction of natural medicine and skills in the event that the economy collapses. People are still going to need health care, even if it is like the old days, when people paid with chickens and apples. I have joined the historical nursing society to research how they handled health issues prior to modern medicine.

Someone will still need to set bones, nurse fevers, and, birth babies.

Am I making sense, here, or have I gone off the deep end?

In what capacity could a person with some knowledge of health/herbal medicine, and general medicine barter? Any ideas?

·
I CHOOSE LIBERTY!
1,894 Posts
People are still going to need health care, even if it is like the old days, when people paid with chickens and apples. I have joined the historical nursing society to research how they handled health issues prior to modern medicine.

In what capacity could a person with some knowledge of health/herbal medicine, and general medicine barter? Any ideas?
You answered your question all by yourself.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I am a nurse, by trade, trying to prepare for an uncertain future. My son is interested in the health field as well. He is planning to get into a nursing program, shortly.

I am trying to steer him, and myself, in the direction of natural medicine and skills in the event that the economy collapses. People are still going to need health care, even if it is like the old days, when people paid with chickens and apples. I have joined the historical nursing society to research how they handled health issues prior to modern medicine.

Am I making sense, here, or have I gone off the deep end?

That's really interesting. Where can your son get this bone-setting and natural medicine training?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Learn how to remove an appendix.

Also, merely possessing medical textbooks/references is important.

If you aren't part of a group, then all this is for naught.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
One of the most important things for prepairing is for as many differnt things as posible. Have him train on both. That way if things go go totally crazy he still has a profession so he is a asset to himself and others knowmatter what.

·
CTP
1,715 Posts
Not a medical professional by any stretch but here is how I would look at it. You seem to have already done it but your son, if interested in the nursing profession should go through the typical nursing school as all nurses do. Work as a practicing medical professional in a hospital or clinic of some sort. Basically get all the normal medical schooling and find a career at a respectable established care facility. He has a career that pays well with great benefits, etc. On his free time he and you can join various groups and communities to learn more about what type of medical practices were use in the "old days". If SHTF and I was I'll or injured I'd rather have a medical professional who was trained in the latest medicine and then had additional knowledge in primitive care techniques when many modern medical resources aren't available. I think that if you push your son into only studying primitive medical techniques that can only be used in a SHTF scenario from a unregulated or unrecognized group then you are not doing your son justice.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I'm currently reading Food in Colonial and Federal America. It's really interesting. There's not an established currency and folks are trading / bartering just fine. They've got a value established for British silver, Spanish silver, other goods (who's value is established in silver), and services. I imagine if there was ever a collapse, it would be much the same way. There are going to be tons of people that haven't invested in PMs. As long as you have some type of practical goods or services, you're likely going to be just fine, PMs or not.

------

It's sidebar, but there was another interesting point in the book. In areas of Colonial America where households were totally self-sufficient, they did not do as well areas that were trading & bartering. There were very few people that were well skilled across the board in all talents & abilities. And had they traded / bartered with others nearby who were more talented in some skill set, their life could have been better.

...that stood out to me. While I still believe that there's value to "holing up" in extremely hard times, it probably won't be in our best interests to stay in that state forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts