Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious--when people say they have a year's worth of TP, how much is that?

In other words, how many rolls, or double-rolls, does it take to have a year's worth for a single person?

Reactions: Cool Hand and Slats

·
Registered
170 Posts
sorry, i guess I could have just looked at your profile. Guess you could do some sort of calculation that takes into account your personal digestive health, and the type of food you have prepped. IDK. too much is better than not enough, its not like it goes bad....

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,047 Posts
It's best to do a personal calculation. Remove all TP from your house except for ten rolls on the first day of the month and see how long it lasts.

We go thru a roll a day here.

·
Super Moderator
65,719 Posts
Depends on how many sheets you use per wipe and how often you wipe. Easier to just do the math, because it differs widely from person to person.

I literally have an entire attic full of TP. Why not? It's cheap, it's only going to get more expensive, and it's something we use anyway. Besides, as I discovered, it makes OUTSTANDING insulation!

The down side is if the house ever catches on fire, it's going to smolder for weeks! :D:

·
I ain't doing that!!
6,414 Posts
I do this with all kinds of stuff. When I open something I write the date on it with a sharpie. Then when it is empty I note the date and extrapolate from there.

When I first started prepping I really thought we probably went through a tube of toothpaste and bottle of mouthwash every month so I bought 24 tubes of toothpaste and 24 bottles of mouthwash ... That was about 18 months ago. I just opened the last bottle of mouthwash from that initial purchase but I don't think we will EVER run out of toothpaste ... lol

You will be surprised at how much you use of some things and how little you will use of others. (Oh ... and I STILL have enough TP from that original shopping trip to start my backstock to last another 18 months) ...

·
Registered
323 Posts
4 girls, 2 men in the house (daughters family comes over for extended visit)...12 double rolls or 7 Charmin Mega rolls and 120 wet wipes a week.

My hubbie and I...2 to 3 double rolls or 1 1/2 Mega rolls and 50 wet wipes a week.

I have 32, 12 pack double roll packages, 35, 12 pack Mega rolls and 7 double pack boxes of Huggies wipes which is equal to 2520 individual wet wipes..I'm about 7 boxes short of the wipes now that I do the math...thanks! :D:

(I love this site! it keeps me on my toes)

Reactions: goose3 and MikeK

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
:xeye:I used to have a crap load of TP stored up, enough to probably last a year but since this last Returd was elected and economy has taken a turn for the worse in the last few years, had to shut my business down, lost three homes, and pretty much everything else I busted my A** to achieve in the last twenty years went into the S**TER, I'M DOWN TO ABOUT ZERO ROLLS with no hope of restocking in the near future.:xeye::(:xeye::(

·
Registered
323 Posts
:xeye:I used to have a crap load of TP stored up, enough to probably last a year but since this last Returd was elected and economy has taken a turn for the worse in the last few years, had to shut my business down, lost three homes, and pretty much everything else I busted my A** to achieve in the last twenty years went into the S**TER, I'M DOWN TO ABOUT ZERO ROLLS with no hope of restocking in the near future.:xeye::(:xeye::(
So sorry to hear this. We also lost one of our business's and we're hanging on to our trucking company and home by a thread this past month..the repairs on two of our Kenworths just about killed us and the fuel prices this year haven't helped.

Hang in there...

Sorry goose...back to the TP....

Reactions: anne36

·
Super Moderator
65,719 Posts
A lot of us are in the same boat. The economy put me out of business in 2009. In 2010 I lost my home. I've eaten almost entirely out of food storage since then to keep costs down.

Hang in there and look for opportunities. Sometimes they're right under our noses, but not always so easy to spot.

·
Research, Learn, Share
819 Posts
If you can get the females in the house to use light cotton cloths that are immediately rinsed for the 'liquid-only' portion of a trip to the toilet, you will cut down TP usage by a whole bunch. There are some people who use them for everything, but I have an EEEEWwww response when i think of doing that.

I am down to using 1/4 of a 1000 sheet roll a week. I still buy the equivalent of a roll a week, but that means I'm putting 3 rolls a month away on the same budget as before I started using a rinseable alternative.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
We order an 8 pack just under once a month - thats for 3 adults (1 female and 2 males one being elderly). That works out as 104 toilet rolls per year.

Apparently if you have the flap of the TP to the back fo the roll you use up much less then if its at the front.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
I accidentally stored up about 3 years worth. It's different for everyone. LOL.

When the kids were here all the time (my sister's kids used to live here), I went through a 12 roll pack of double roll scotts every 2 weeks. With Charmin it was a 12 pack double roll every week. After they moved I just habitually bought it the same for several shopping trips. Then I realized that every bathroom closet (each has a full sized linen closet) had at least 2 packs in it, plus 3 above the laundry and a couple in the stores closet. I stopped buying.

That was 2.5 years ago and I still have a bunch. Amazing how different it is!

Plus, switching to Scott's also really extended the life of the TP extensively and is kinder to the pipes, etc.

·
war comin, choose a side
401 Posts
Wow! A roll a day, thats what i call too much fiber. ;)
it is just me, my wife, a grown dog, and a puppy. The puppy still has accidents so that uses TP. She is getting better though. We go through a roll a week, 1.5 on bad weeks. :)

I have 700 double rolls on stock at the moment. I had 3500 doubles but money got tight, and my prepping friends wanted some stock. So i sold so to them to pay the bills and to be nice. I have the 700 left and that is for pshtf (so i can wipe the fan, lol). I usually buy more whenever i find a good deal and funds permit.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts