Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Big Yota fan here too! Probably not many other Cruiser owners on here, because they are getting so hard to find. Even the pre-90's trucks are getting scarce. Some tuff BOV's though. (It's hard to stop a Yota) Where'd you find it? Keep us updated

GR

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
big TLC fan, don't own one, but wheeled alot of em...out of the box they are a tough and well built rig.
When I lived out west I did alot of wheeling with a club that was solely TLC's, they went by the name Coastal Cruisers, great bunch of folks, all with great rigs.

good luck and keep us posted

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
Great post, and pic's

Reactions: rikisarahdennis

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think they are one of the absolute best utility vehicles ever made. Those are very well engineered and really don't benefit much from non-stock upgrades.
I remember back in the spring of 1971 my first wife (The Troll) and myself stopped in a dealer to look at them. A salesman came out and invited us for a ride-along on a demo drive. He took us out to a place that had obviously been used for a lot of off road activities. All the grass was gone and there was all sizes if tracks and ruts. But he just slowly drove over that part and took us to the real destination. The base of a very tall, very steep hill. I said there ain't no way this or any other wheeled vehicle can go up that hill. He just grinned and up the side we went in 1st gear. I kept expecting the motor to choke down and die, or the wheels to start spinning, but we just chugged along toward the sky. (which was about all I could see from my strategic location in the floorboard.) When he got to the top, he turned around and started back down. I peeped up over the dash just before we started the descent and wondered if maybe there was a chance this thing had aircraft style diving brakes. As it was, the ride down was pretty straightforward except for the short strip where the Toyota appeared to be getting away from him. However he stood on the brakes and with a loud screaching he brought us to a stop whereupon I stopped the screaching. Yep, excellent old vehicle. Don't remember now why I didn't buy it.

·
I feel good.... . . .
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice. I am a fan of any older style 4x4. so, what's the plan? 350 cid, new tranny ,axles?
Frame up restoratiation including the following:

-2F engine rebuilt by Jasper with new 4sp tranny.
-Four wheel disc brakes.
-Power steering.
-New aluminum tub.
-22gal auxiliary fuel tank.
-Full roll cage.
-.50 cal gun turret.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 1969 FJ40. I am in the process of stripping it down to the frame. Sandblast and powder coat frame and differentials, rebuild difs, 4speed, engine, and transfer. The body is in pretty good shape, need to mig weld patches in a couple of spots. At this point I don't know if I am going to use the body and hard top or sell them and do a aluminum body. At some point in the future I'd like to do one with Dynatrac difs with lockers, Atlas transfer, Aisan 5 spd, and a LS6. Good luck with your build, Al

·
Registered
188 Posts
They are tough old girls
I wouldnt get a swb go for a troop carrier or ute if you can. Dont bother with the petrol engines they are old and thirsty as all hell! the 2H diesel is the pic tough old girl, will run on the worst diesel you can find, not a power house but turbo'ing isnt expensive

I used to have an old troopy tough old girl, then a 79 series troopy and now a nissan patrol all diesel :D

·
Registered
957 Posts
Love the old FJ40's. I have an '07 FJ Cruiser and it's an awesome vehicle - would love to have an older 40 too though. So many toys to get - so little time.

·
Darting from the shadows
5,760 Posts
Thats looking Woody, I used to kick around with a mate who had one just like yours, a red shorty.
That thing was beast.

Will be watching this thread from now on. :thumb:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Frame up restoratiation including the following:

-2F engine rebuilt by Jasper with new 4sp tranny.
-Four wheel disc brakes.
-Power steering.
-New aluminum tub.
-22gal auxiliary fuel tank.
-Full roll cage.
-.50 cal gun turret.
You might consider the australian 5-speed rather than the 4... better cruising speed and fuel mileage.

Other than that... sweet!

·
"Somebody Get a Rope"
1,187 Posts
Woody C - Be careful you don't make it too pretty to take off pavement.

I've always believed that REAL trucks rattle.

O.K.... I'm jealous.

elgin

1 - 20 of 28 Posts