Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Indefatigable
21,478 Posts
Technically it's not supposed to grow or isn't yet growing in OK yet, but vacant house on our street has a huge patch mixed in with the 6ft high grass in the backyard. I said it was hogweed, hubby told me I was wrong, I used the plant ID app and he then agreed, it looked like hogweed. If its not, we got a close dupe. Either way I won't be going near it.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
It's been around here for nearly a decade..or they have been warning us of it. I have yet to see any.

·
Just trying to learn
218 Posts
There's tons of it on the trails here. As the video states it's best to try to get rid of it in the spring. Luckily I've never got any on me.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,126 Posts
I am always very carefull when wild gathering. I wish plant naming would get more refined as common hogweed is edible. It is just not a size issue

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
A friend of mine had a dispute with a jerk neighbour . He can't prove it but after the run in giant hogweed started appearing on his once clean farm fields. It's created a bunch more work clearing the fields now because the government gets involved with invasive species control.

·
Red White and Blue
6,449 Posts
I think its been around for a few years
nasty stuff
(foreign weeds taking jobs away from American weeds...)

previous thread on topic.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Damn it! I have the same problem on my piece of land in Russia. Over the weekend, I mowed all this stuff, but I haven't dug up the roots yet.

·
I Seen A Sighting!
3,148 Posts
Thank God that stuff doesn't grow around here. I'd have to break out the flame thrower.

Seen pictures of what it does to the skin, and that is some seriously nasty stuff. It makes poison ivy and fig tree sap look like nothing. And the effects can last for years? Years???

Fire ants and red wasps are my main nemises, but those can be kept under control with judicious use of pesticides. But giant hogweed would be terrible.

A question---- would repeated mowings at short intervals kill it out after a while?

I've noticed that invasive woody and semi-woody plants here will die out after I mow them several times. I mow them as short as I can, and then as soon as I notice new growth, within a week or two, I mow them again as short as I can. I may have to do this several times over a spring/summer but eventually they are deprived of top growth/photosynthesis to the point they die out.

I've done this with elderberry, yaupon, green brier (the hardest to eradicate) honeysuckle, wisteria, crepe myrtle, and probably some others I can't remember.

Would that work with hogweed? Just keep mowing it down to the ground as soon as an inch or two of new growth is seen?

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
Ive seen them cut down the stocks and then dig out the root ball. I think they spray some herbicide in the area after the plants have been removed.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
I think its been around for a few years
nasty stuff
(foreign weeds taking jobs away from American weeds...)

previous thread on topic.
It was brought here over 100 years ago as an ornamental.
Kinda makes you wonder how they brought it here without discovering the danger.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank God that stuff doesn't grow around here. I'd have to break out the flame thrower.

Seen pictures of what it does to the skin, and that is some seriously nasty stuff. It makes poison ivy and fig tree sap look like nothing. And the effects can last for years? Years???

Fire ants and red wasps are my main nemises, but those can be kept under control with judicious use of pesticides. But giant hogweed would be terrible.

A question---- would repeated mowings at short intervals kill it out after a while?

I've noticed that invasive woody and semi-woody plants here will die out after I mow them several times. I mow them as short as I can, and then as soon as I notice new growth, within a week or two, I mow them again as short as I can. I may have to do this several times over a spring/summer but eventually they are deprived of top growth/photosynthesis to the point they die out.

I've done this with elderberry, yaupon, green brier (the hardest to eradicate) honeysuckle, wisteria, crepe myrtle, and probably some others I can't remember.

Would that work with hogweed? Just keep mowing it down to the ground as soon as an inch or two of new growth is seen?
Green brier is hard, but it has survival value. The upper is somewhat edible and goats love it. It develops large tubers that make it hard to eradicate, but i am told the tubers are edible also.

Mowing favors low growing plants like some grasses and typical lawn weeds. I think that eventually the mowed hog weed would be crowded it out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts