Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you know those people that go through, 6 phones, 3 ipods and a laptop each year because they keep on breaking them???
I am one of those people.
my mp3 just got broken in a fight, now i need an new one but i dont want to keep having to replace them on a regular basis because my wallet is really starting to feel the pinch, so the new one has to be pretty tough, any recomendations???

I would prefer it if it was battery powered, because finding a USB port in the wilderness is hard :) and a micro SD card reader would be nice too. as long as its tough though i dont mind.
also dont bother recomending Ipods.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I pod touch with rubber sleeve, I've dropped this thing a billion times still ticking,and aside from making calls and having gps it's basically an iPhone.

iPod touch
Droid 2
Can't leave home without them.

I hate apple with a Passion but this touch is freaking amazing just do what I do and pretend that it isn't made by apple

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
Sandisks older mp3 players were battle tough.

http://s.shld.net/is/image/Sears/99...op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Cheap as hell. Battery powered. I did the following to it accidently when I was working construction: Dropped it repeatedly from 20+ feet onto concrete or dirt/grass, it got run over by a heavy roller (steam roller without the steam), I dropped it into both oil and latex based paint, I also dropped it into streaming hot mop water with chemicals in it while it was playing. Among many other things.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16855125003

Ipod touches in a case are the way to go though. Otterbox makes cases for at least iphones and are battle tough. Look into them. I broke the glass all to hell on an ipod touch and it still worked just the same as it ever had even with glass pieces falling out onto my finger looool.

·
Genesis 1:29
255 Posts
Apple® iPod Touch. It's magical and innovative, you could probably start fire and make a shelter with it while simultaneously using it to signal for help and catch twelve fish.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I find it hilarious..first post he said "Don't bother recommending ipods"...so 4 replies recommend ipods.

It's hard to find a new MP3 player that runs on batteries..but there chargers out there that you can load up with normal batteries that will charge up a USB MP3 player.

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
You can get the flash players, battery powered for about 15-35 bucks. Cheap, okay sound but fits your purpose. the flash drives are almost indestructable, and it's cheap, I've never broken one, I have 3, I've owned 1 ipod and it broke on it's own after 8 months 2 months after the warranty ran out. I've never owned anything Ipod since or before and that one was a gift. Plus you can record, radio and store data, with USB port.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
+1 for Sandisk.

The Sansa Clip+ is the bomb.

Size of a matchbox, plays MP3 and also FLAC (lossless) CD quality
Cheap
Tough
Up to 40gb solid state with a 32gB microSD card
High quality DAC/amp combo
Get a rubberised cover for extra toughness

It has an internal battery, but I'm sure you can find simple plans for building a USB charger that runs of standard batteries.

Clip+ is the bomb.

·
Misplaced Texan
163 Posts
I think there's an app for that....

Oh and don't get into fights? Then no matter which one you buy they wont break :D:

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
+1 for Sandisk.

The Sansa Clip+ is the bomb.

Size of a matchbox, plays MP3 and also FLAC (lossless) CD quality
Cheap
Tough
Up to 40gb solid state with a 32gB microSD card
High quality DAC/amp combo
Get a rubberised cover for extra toughness

It has an internal battery, but I'm sure you can find simple plans for building a USB charger that runs of standard batteries.

Clip+ is the bomb.

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ Review - YouTube
I wish you hadnt posted that :(

I was umming and ahhing the other week between that and a sony walkman, and I ended up going for the Sony... now I want to go back and change my mind!! (namely for the added flash drive capacity).

Anyway, i'm sure they Sony is good, it was listed as having a longer run time which is important to me (and the reason I ended up going for the sony and not the sandisk)

·
Registered
7,138 Posts
any mp3 player. they are all small enough to fit in the ipod pelican cases. IMHO just a barebones mp3 player though. as your down under you have access to allot more then us in the states. but they should all fit in an ipod pelican case which is bomb proof.

·
Ding... Thanks for playin
4,922 Posts
I got a 2 gig Zen Stone with built in speaker... about the size of a zippo lighter... I think I got it for under $40.00 Been a work horse....:thumb:

·
Registered
998 Posts
First, stop getting into fights. Follow the three rules of survivalism, don't go stupid places with stupid people and do stupid things.
Second iPod shuffle, pretty tough but if youbdo break it can be replaced for less than the warranty cost on other players.
Third, it may play music but if it doesn't start with an i it's always going to be second best.

Now let's talk about glocks...............:thumb:

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts
When I got a Iphone 4 I just used my 3Gs as a Ipod. It had an insane amount of MP3 and MP4's on it, plus a lot of useful apps, still works on wifi- which is like almost free everywhere now, has a camera and will still dial 911. A Iphone/Ipod in an otterbox is really hard to beat I think.

·
Hunter, trapper, shooter
59 Posts
I'm not to hard on things since they cost so much but I have an original iPod classic I still use, the last 2 phones as MP3/video player an yes a touch. Sorry about your luck with electronics.
Also how about a solar charger with a USB insert for charging in the wilds :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts