Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my Saiga 7.62x39 and it should be here by Wed. I cannot wait to fondel it.

I went with the X39 over the x51 for a few reasons. One being cost. X51 is around $130 to $140 more than the X39 and ammo for the X39 is also cheaper. Also Magazines for the X51 are retarded expensive. I love to shoot. And figured I'd take the cheap road.

Out the door I paid $330. Not bad for a brand new Saiga X39 as I've seen them rise in price lately to around $400 or so. Thank you Sporting Arms co. For having the lowest price in my area. If you need a gun deal with them. If you are in the Dallas area even better as you don't have to pay shipping. If Becky doesn't have it in stock she can get it for you. Great place.

Anyway...Is there anything I need to know about the Saiga x39? Anyone own one and can make me feel better about buying one. Cause the wait is killing me.:D:

So info and pictures would be a plus. I'd like to see some conversions and get some Ideas of how I want to set mine up.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked into the shotguns. Actually they had one in stock when I went to order mine. Price for it was more than fair. But I was going low budget.

If I had the cash to throw I'd get the .308 next.

I love the saigas. Dosen't get any more real russian AK than that. Without spending an arm and a leg for it.

Anybody know where to find the solid folding stocks made by K-Var. I can't seem to find them anywhere. The K-Var sight says they are out of stock. Are the out of production? I do not want one of those Crapco folding stocks. As I herd the break easy.

·
11B20 - Status Inactive
5,036 Posts
I looked into the shotguns. Actually they had one in stock when I went to order mine. Price for it was more than fair. But I was going low budget.

If I had the cash to throw I'd get the .308 next.

I love the saigas. Dosen't get any more real russian AK than that. Without spending an arm and a leg for it.

Anybody know where to find the solid folding stocks made by K-Var. I can't seem to find them anywhere. The K-Var sight says they are out of stock. Are the out of production? I do not want one of those Crapco folding stocks. As I herd the break easy.
You just have to keep checking KVar - they get stuff in frequently.

Here you go, folding triangle stock (good because it requires no modding to the receiver).
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16737&cat=251&page=2

·
zombie response team
3,188 Posts
You just have to keep checking KVar - they get stuff in frequently.

Here you go, folding triangle stock (good because it requires no modding to the receiver).
http://www.k-var.com/shop/product.php?productid=16737&cat=251&page=2
the kvar stock is a good stock, anything kvar is good ak stuff, but u will need to do the FCG conversion which if u have much skill with hand files and rotary tools u can do it, think kvar sells the conversion kit for around $100, so your $330 plus 100 = $430 for a ''real'' russian AK sure beats a WASR and i have seen wasrs go for up to $450-500. i wouldnt pay that $ for a wasr, not that wasrs dont work but they arent worth $500

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I have been know to surf a gun show or two. And I've seen the price of some of the century built AK's. Quality isn't in the nature of them. They made me stray away from buying a WASR. Then I found out about Saigas. Needless to say it resparked my intrest in AK's again. Plus a chromed lined barrel doesn't hurt either.:thumb:

I am aware of the conversion. And found that it must be 922r to be able to take the surplus magazines and such. So to do the conversion I have to go all the way with it and get the parts needed to do so. I was first going to do the bullet guide and work from there as it's around $30 for the part and bits.
Also will need a drill press. As I don't want a crooked hole.

My thoughts were to get the Saiga Crapco pistol grip and stock combo and use the set to get the pistol grip and stock at a lil bit of a discount.

Then buy the trigger group and pistol grip nut. There are many other parts I could add. But that's for starters.

Later down the road I'll add more to the rifle. And do some other things as well. Like thred the barrel.

Again, I have always loved AK's and found them to be beautifull firearms in their form and function. Soon I'll be the owner of a damn fine AK.

Has anyone used the Tapco gas piston? Is it worth a damn?

·
The pale horse cometh
101 Posts
Good by, the total conversion for a real russian Ak is less than 500.00 I used a drill and a dremmel I got from walmart for 49.00 dollars, took 2 hours. Hit it with the gunkote finish from brownells to cover the silver spot when u remove the trigger plate or any black paint I guess and your good to go! I left the front hanguard on and used a rpb industries krinkov stock wanted something diferent. Looks kinda like this
http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/

thats a baddass weapon for under 500.00

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Congrats on your buy!! I bought one partially converted {butt stock/hand guard} and a Pro-mag 30 round mag. I paid $500 out the door.
You definitely want to do the conversion. If you are strapped with cash like lots of us, do the most important parts 1st. I would start with the FCG, the stock trigger SUCKS, go with the Tapco G2 system. and also add the Bullet guide {AKA feed ramp} That way it will take standard AK mags.{you will also have to file down the mag release just a bit} Both of those shouldn't cost more than 50ish. And with the vids that are out there, and a few tools and some time, you'll have the important stuff done.
Also look at NON corrosive cheap steel surplus ammo. I have fired over 500 rounds of Yugoslavian through mine without any glitches.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
id love to have the ability to do that for my .223

It apparently doesn't need a bullet guide though- right out of the box it would take any AK .223 mag

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
id love to have the ability to do that for my .223

It apparently doesn't need a bullet guide though- right out of the box it would take any AK .223 mag
Yeah apparently, some of the newer saiga's have them, AND some are already threaded under the front sight block shroud. The only way to tell is to cut it off though. I THINK mine is threaded, I'm not ready to cut the shroud off though since I don't have any money to have it threaded or to have a brake welded on.

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think mine is comming direct from the factory so it will be the newest model.
No telling till I get it and crack her open and have a look inside.

I was also informed that it will come with the test fire target with a 3 shot or 5 shot group on it. So I can see if it hoots straight. It's already paid for. And to be honest I know it's not a tac driver. But cool of them to add that in the box.

Comes in tomorrow fresh off the boat from cali I think. Taken a little over a week but I feel it's worth it. I don't plan on converting right out of the box. I want to put a box (500) of the brown bear I bought thru it before I do anything conversion wise. Needs to be broken in:rolleyes:

I also found a guy who will do work on Saigas in my area. He's a lil expensive but he does good work. I may have him thread the barrel for me down the road. I think his price is $125. But thats also a recrown and cleaning, also front sight reatachment, sighting, etc.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
Yeah apparently, some of the newer saiga's have them, AND some are already threaded under the front sight block shroud. The only way to tell is to cut it off though. I THINK mine is threaded, I'm not ready to cut the shroud off though since I don't have any money to have it threaded or to have a brake welded on.
mine was bare barrel but I have a Krink compensator on there

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
330...now that's a low price! For a quality piece of equipment.
HA, yea that's after sales tax. It was $306. But the good ol' state of Texas charges sales tax at 8%. So I was all over that deal like stink on....well, you know.

I've seen them go for a pretty penny at gun shows. Some around $400 (not converted)

Becky at SportingArms.com was great to deal with. I love her set up and she is friendly as hell. I have to say I wish more of my gun buys went down the way it did with her. Very nice lady. Unlike other stores I've delt with or big box chains.
I always support the little guy. Especially when the service is great and you can have a laugh with them. If you haven't yet check out her website. If she doesn't have it in stock she can get it for you. And her prices are pretty damn good.

I can't wait till I get the box and get to dig thru it. It's like Christmas. But in June.:D:

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
I think mine is comming direct from the factory so it will be the newest model.
No telling till I get it and crack her open and have a look inside.

I was also informed that it will come with the test fire target with a 3 shot or 5 shot group on it. So I can see if it hoots straight. It's already paid for. And to be honest I know it's not a tac driver. But cool of them to add that in the box.

Comes in tomorrow fresh off the boat from cali I think. Taken a little over a week but I feel it's worth it. I don't plan on converting right out of the box. I want to put a box (500) of the brown bear I bought thru it before I do anything conversion wise. Needs to be broken in:rolleyes:

I also found a guy who will do work on Saigas in my area. He's a lil expensive but he does good work. I may have him thread the barrel for me down the road. I think his price is $125. But thats also a recrown and cleaning, also front sight reatachment, sighting, etc.
Keep in mind, it MIGHT be threaded already. Some of the newer 7.62's came threaded. The only way to tell is to cut off the shroud. Some are, some are not. :thumb:

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just got it to my house. Man I love the smell of a new firearm.

Anyway looks good. But the rear sight looks a lil crooked. Maybe it's supposed to be that way. I wont know till I shoot it.

Other than that. It's straight from RAA and couldn't ask for anything more.

Anyone know where the build year is? in the serial number? Just wanted to know because my M91/30 was built in the same factory back in 1926. Would like to know how old the gran-kid is.:D:

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Just got it to my house. Man I love the smell of a new firearm.

Anyway looks good. But the rear sight looks a lil crooked. Maybe it's supposed to be that way. I wont know till I shoot it.

Other than that. It's straight from RAA and couldn't ask for anything more.

Anyone know where the build year is? in the serial number? Just wanted to know because my M91/30 was built in the same factory back in 1926. Would like to know how old the gran-kid is.:D:
The date SHOULD be on the scope mount side....BTW, did it come with the AK style scope mount?

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The date SHOULD be on the scope mount side....BTW, did it come with the AK style scope mount?
Sure did. It's a nice gun out of the box I have to say. Trigger sucks on pull only due to the funky wishbone trigger set up. No big deal there. A new trigger is in it's future anyway.

Is the date the first 4 digits of the number? If so it was made in October 2009.

After closer inspestion it does not have the bullet guide in it. And now I see why AK magazines will not fit. As the front lip of the magazine is too short. The saiga mag is taller and almost has it's own built in ramp on the magazine to make it run flush with chamber. I was amazed to see how small of an area there is in there. As pictures I've seen do not really show the true size that you are looking at.

I was pleased to see the holes were already cut for the pistol grip nut. As that was a slight fear of mine.

I plan on taking it out to the range this week and seeing what this gun will do. The Acceptance Certificate that came with it said;

" Extreme spread of impacts when firing four bullets at 100-m range (accuracy of rifle) is 106 mm."

This is about 4" of spread at 109 yards for you SAE folk.

Thats pretty good for a 16" AK if ya ask me. But I'll just have to see how it does at the range this week.

BTW: I love the paper work. Mostly construction and printer paper. It's such a change from US firearms with high gloss everything.:D:

·
armchair commando
1,184 Posts
Sure did. It's a nice gun out of the box I have to say. Trigger sucks on pull only due to the funky wishbone trigger set up. No big deal there. A new trigger is in it's future anyway.

Is the date the first 4 digits of the number? If so it was made in October 2009.

After closer inspestion it does not have the bullet guide in it. And now I see why AK magazines will not fit. As the front lip of the magazine is too short. The saiga mag is taller and almost has it's own built in ramp on the magazine to make it run flush with chamber. I was amazed to see how small of an area there is in there. As pictures I've seen do not really show the true size that you are looking at.

I was pleased to see the holes were already cut for the pistol grip nut. As that was a slight fear of mine.

I plan on taking it out to the range this week and seeing what this gun will do. The Acceptance Certificate that came with it said;

" Extreme spread of impacts when firing four bullets at 100-m range (accuracy of rifle) is 106 mm."

This is about 4" of spread at 109 yards for you SAE folk.

Thats pretty good for a 16" AK if ya ask me. But I'll just have to see how it does at the range this week.

BTW: I love the paper work. Mostly construction and printer paper. It's such a change from US firearms with high gloss everything.:D:
If you have the pre-drilled PG holes, then you more than likely have a threaded barrel...good deal!!

·
Banned
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
After closer inspection there is a slight gap around the front sight. Between the barrel and the front sight attachment. Maybe it is threaded? Wont know till it get's taken off and replaced.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.