Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts and prayers are with those who may have been affected by today's tornadoes. I do hope none of you or any of your loved ones were in the twister paths as they swept across the south, particularly in Mississippi.

They are still happening, and will continue overnight, I gather, moving east and northeast. If you are in the warning areas, take cover and stay safe.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
These were indeed strong storms that passed through last night, in the middle of the night and throughout today. We were very fortunate here in West TN that we did not see the tornado damage that our neighbors in Mississippi had - prayers go out to all those in the midst of those storms that had such tremendous damage -

Be safe if this line of storms is headed your way this afternoon or tonight!

Reactions: Teslin

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
Tragic.....but folks need to look at that damage and see how one could survive..........houses and buildings and vehicles, totally destroyed...........now, even if you had your preps stocked up in your house and a BOB in your BOV, they'd be scattered all over town........I'm suggesting burying supplies, including a tent, in a container, in the ground..........then, if you're hit and your house and vehicles were totally gone.....you could dig up your supplies, pitch your tent and have food and water and lanterns and clothes and toiletries, etc for a few days...........after surviving the intial damage, folks need water and food and dry and shelter and a chance to clean up and put on a fresh change of clothes.........oh and medical supplies.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used to live in TX (DFW area) and had no shelter or basement. Every time there was a tornado warning (and there were many while I lived there), I would go to a small clothes closet near the middle of the house - knowing full well that if my house was hit, my chances of survival were just about nil. It was very nervewracking.

You are correct too about the fact that people need to think about where you might store your 'preps' if you live in a tornado prone area ... beyond even where you and your loved ones can hide.

I thought I was 'safe' (relatively speaking) from tornado danger when I moved here to western NC (and I am). Generally storms are broken up or split by the hilly terrain as they come through this area. However, twice in the past year, we have had tornado warnings and have been told to take cover. Here I have crawlspaces (partial basements but just about all of it is still above ground) rather than just a slab, but, I am still without a truly safe place to shelter in a tornado type storm. And, I still have to think about my preps as well too, even though the risk is less here that a tornado will hit right here.

But, stuff can be replaced. Lives cannot.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I'm not terribly far away from the area where the tornadoes hit. One big problem is that we can't have basements because of the soil - impossible to keep them dry. These things are terrifying.
Death toll is up to ten, three of them children. Lord, have mercy.

·
The Power of III
1,365 Posts
Realistically, I don't think there is much you can do when a mile-wide tornado comes barreling down your street. You are screwed. Your stuff will be scattered everywhere like letsgetreal said above. Definitely worth looking at the photos and working through a game plan to determine what could be done if you ended up in a similar circumstance.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
I'm, thinking a 55 gal drum with a lid.........fill it with a tent, clothes, blankets, water, MREs, medicine, FAK, toiletries, towels, firestarter and a gun, then bury it to where the lid is flush with the ground.........if all else is destroyed, you can provide water, food and shelter, etc for a few days.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
burry a pipe verry deep and chain yourself to it :p

"mom what is that ? " - "thats |eric| 's arms dear ... he chain..."

edit i think the drum thing is a good idea
you could make a bunker or a concrete trench so you can jump in in case of tornado

here in Canada tournedos are on the BBQ grill so i cant speak for that ... (its a french word )

·
Limpin to safety.
7,637 Posts
I had strong winds today. A part of my green house broke, however it wasn't bad.

Not to make light of this (seriously), I did see a few blessings from this.

The sun was shinning as it rained. My plants couldn't seem happier.

I beat out almost every farmer in planting my crops, and they are doing great!

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
part of my plan when i was moveing to the Tenn/KY area ..i had plan to put into the ground of my home plan for a underground home to live in and not worry about the liveing in a tornado zone ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.