Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Survivalist
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm torn between two machetes both from cold steel but i'm up for other suggestion the first one is the MAGNUM KUKRI MACHETE http://www.coldsteel.com/kukrimachetes.html and the second one is the Bolo machete http://www.coldsteel.com/bolomachetes.html. I need help deciding. If you guys have any hands on experience or which one would be a better survival/ general purpose machete.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I gotta agree on Tramontina...their stuff rocks. The US issue one was worthless crap in Panama, but my Tramontina can do incredible things. I noted the guys in the jungle in Panama weren't carrying expensive ones, they were carrying inexpensive ones that had some flex.

But the dude in the OP was set on Cold Steel.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
Both are good but only you can tell. I'm not fussy and happy with either but I'm usually a little more slanted towards the kukri. Heavy chopping I lean towards Bolo. It depends on what your use is and how much chopping you have done. You won't know till you get them in your hand, one might be more fatiguing than the other or you might be like me and use them interchangeability.

·
Survivalist
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info but why the Tramontina it kinda sketches me out that it is so cheap. But every web site i have been on said it is one of there top machetes. Can you guys enlighten me on why its so great.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I own a latin Condor, and a ESEE latin condor. The truth is whatever you choose will most likely be fine, so dont sweat it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have the magnum kukri and like it much better than the regular length. I love the extra reach. It will take out 3 inch saplings without any trouble at all. You can't go wrong with it.

·
Demon of the Midwest
4,978 Posts
Thanks for the info but why the Tramontina it kinda sketches me out that it is so cheap. But every web site i have been on said it is one of there top machetes. Can you guys enlighten me on why its so great.

Just because a product is expensive doesn't necessarily say its better. I cant get to scientific but Ive had mine for about 15 years now and its still going strong. Cold Steel machete blades come mostly from what Ive seen out of South Africa. There more rigid than the Tramontina which has a spring to it. My cold steel does good, but doesn't hold an edge as well as my other. I will say the Cold steel comes with a sheath where as the Tramontina doesn't.

·
V
21,713 Posts

Its just one of those things lol Tramontina machetes, Mora fixed blades and Opinel folders all good solid reliable tools that work and won't break the bank. I have the 14" Tramontina machete found it in my dads shed I was that impressed I bought the 14" Tramontina Bolo Machete (came with a naff sheath) for heavier work. Solid reliable and tbh for the price its hard not too :thumb:

·
Registered
173 Posts
My CS magnum Kukri came with a TERRIBLE factory edge. It was clearly just slapped on a grinder. The edge was MASSIVELY rolled over, so bad that it was visible with the naked eye.

I spent 2-3 hours with a sharpener getting the edge symmetrical and sharp. It works great now though.

·
Semper Fi
2,808 Posts
Cold Steel machetes are OK Theyre cheap, get a cheap sheath- or better, make one!

The Magnum kukri has alot of reach, with an angleing cut a 20'' machete wont have. The bolo is nice, too- for lighter work. The handles are basicly PVC though.

I prefer the Ontario military machete for hard core durability.

·
Really?
16,125 Posts
This might be a silly question, but why a machete? You live in AZ. Machetes are mainly for the jungle. Seems like a saw or hatchet might be a better choice.....anyway, make sure your machete is tempered.....a non tempered machete will bend and stay bent when you try to use it....worthless....

·
Registered
347 Posts
This might be a silly question, but why a machete? You live in AZ. Machetes are mainly for the jungle. Seems like a saw or hatchet might be a better choice.....anyway, make sure your machete is tempered.....a non tempered machete will bend and stay bent when you try to use it....worthless....
I see what you're getting at, right tool for the job.
If you're anything like me, you'll get a machete in addition to other stuff.
hatchet, saw, also have their own useful purposes.
for scaring zombies, machete and hatchet are high on the list. (not counting RPG, flamethower, tank, 50 cal, etc..)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have the regular Kukri machete. And I like it a lot.
But many people buy them. And try to use them like a regular machete. It works differently and handles differently.
If you get any kind of Kukri I would suggest you learn the proper way to use it. Look it up on the web.

Good Luck and Stay Safe

·
Registered
219 Posts
i have the magnum, and its a big SOB. a sword. put an edge on it, and hack till the cows come home! BUT..... for an actual jungle trail blazer, cant do better than a tramontina for the $$$. the weight and blade are made for all day swinging imo.

·
Survivalist
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I ended up getting the magnum becuz i liked the handle better and i figured it would be better for my bug out bag. I like it alot haven't had a chance to use it but i need to sharp the factory edge. I will also get a good hatchet and saw.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts