Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in this thread about a person's BOB
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=8172
and suggested they might want to add some food and then suggested top ramen. FM2176 astutely commented that Top Ramen has little to no nutritional value.
I guess my school of thought is, get some calories in you and worry about the nutrition later. This is somewhat shortsighted and self defeating seeing as how food is SUPPOSED to nurish, but energy is nurishment right? see, now I'm chasing my tail.
I was wondering what some alternatives were (and dont say cup o noodles!). I am not too familiar with MREs and the like but i was thinking of something more along the lines of a single food item (preferably inexpensive) also something that would store in extreme temps and have the ability to throw in a BOB or GHB. But if you have an outstanding MRE that you have tried i am not above any suggestions made by members of this forum, but I'll do a better search about MREs on the site once i have some more time.
Thanks everyone and look forward to the responses
Kid_M

·
Registered
190 Posts
First off here is a link to a homemade MRE I created, all the food has a shelf life of at least 1 year, and most will be good after.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=6652

A good idea would be tune packets, they can be found around 2 dollars at the grocery, maybe a little less at a walmart. You can get Microwave Mac''n'Cheese, that has dairy proteins in it. Trail mix (hence the name) is glorious source of nutrients and comes in many shapes and sizes. Slim Jim's....taste good and will provide you with calories and fat.

just some thoughts. Also, check out Josiah922's homemade MRE, he has some great ideas

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Dump a can of Vienna sausages in those noodles and you have a real meal.

Also carry some hot sauce in your pack, or some picante sauce to mix in with the noodles. The tomato paste along with spices from the peppers will help add some nutrients to the noodles.

The picante sauce from sonic has small chunks of peppers and onions in it. The hot sauce from taco bell is mostly a watered down blended paste. Next time you go to sonic, order the burrito and ask for extra picante sauce.

The noodles might not have a lot of nutrients, but you can add some lite weight extras that will increase the nutritional value.

·
born to hold out
164 Posts
top ramen facts

Ok I admit I pack alot of top ramen myself and as much as i despise em they are in my pack. here are the specs for a pack of top ramen.
Based on a 2000 calorie daily intake a pack of ramen noodles has 2 servings
with 190 calories per serving total fat is 7g per serving
I have never ate a half pack of ramen noodles in my life its either all or none.
So 380 calories a pack and say you ate em 3 meals a day thats 1140 calories so your short about 860 calories for an average daily intake of 2000 calories.
Adding some vienna sausages and you will well exceed the 2000 calorie norm.
But keep in mind that in a survival or shtf situation you may be mor active and need to have more calories so it is my opinion that ramen noodles can be a fair food choice if supplemented with other foods like viennas which have a high fat content and possibly a daily vitamin to keep everything in balance.
Ramen noodles have no vitimain a or c and 8% iron content so a vitimin supplement might be a consideration im not a dietitian but this is my opinon

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
Ramen noodles is basically all starch and carbs and the seasoning is MSG and Sodium. So basically you got flour and salt. The noodles taste ok and are very cheap. They require water which at times may be hard but if you have a lot of water you may be good.

I would have to say ramen noodles are a good filler to compliment other food that can be made quickly. Of course MRE's and canned foods are going to be the easiest meals because there is no preperation, next down the list should be dehydrated types of food that require water and maby some heat to prepare. Then on down to foods that require water and more time to prepare (beans and rice)

So I would have to say "yes" ramen noodles are an excellent product to store. I do not know their exact shelf life but I can say I have eaten a pack of "sammy" brand ramen noodles that came from Hy-Vee (grocery store in mid america) that had to be at the least two yeards old, and I must say besides the rock hard seasoning (which was able to breakup in warm water) they were good.

Good idea anyone else have ideas or opinions?

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
I carry a rather large HOT bottle of hot sauce, It can cover some foul tasting stuff up enough to get past my gag reflex. Ever ate a grub, they are NASTY NASTY send chills down by back NASTY, smother it in hot sauce and its not that bad texture is the only issue then.

There are many things that act as better filler then top Roman noodles, instant wild rice, the packs of flavored rice mixes and noodle mixes from your local grocery store. They have Tuna helper , I find this to be great in the bush.

I carry shelf stable Bacon in my pack, I cut off chucks of FAT and add it to most of the meals I cook.

Reactions: Allen and Flint

·
87 Posts
A good-with-qualifications source of transportable protein would be natto (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natto). Heck, it's fermented soy to start with, and I wouldn't be able to recognize 'natto gone bad' unless it had a sign on it.

My only qualification is that it is nearly INEDIBLE for me. I've gagged it down on a few occasions, but calling it an 'acquired taste' is a criminal understatement.

Dried natto, on the other hand, is much more palatable. I'm not sure how much of the nutritional value is lost but if it's anywhere near the original, I'd highly recommend it for any BOB.

I'd still recommend you to try it at least once in your lifetime.

·
Knocked Down But Up Again
5,579 Posts
Truthfully, do any of us eat a balanced, nutrition-filled diet every day of the week to begin with?

As was previously stated, Ramen doesn't have a lot of nutritional value, but it's calorie count - pound for pound - packs quite a punch. Taking a multivitamin with your Ramen would cover your nutritional requirements for the day.

·
Banned
880 Posts
i believe the food in your bob should be kinda last resort food anyways, are you gonna pack a speghetti dinner? its just something to fill the empty grumbling stomach, if nothing better can be had in the surrounding enviroment. i also carry like 2 cans of tuna in mine.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I usually don't put the flavour packet in,because of its msg content.Makes me feel sluggish,lethargic,bloated. I'd rather carry regular noodles,and add maybe an egg into them. Gives you protein and carbs.A little butter,for fat content.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Truthfully, do any of us eat a balanced, nutrition-filled diet every day of the week to begin with?

As was previously stated, Ramen doesn't have a lot of nutritional value, but it's calorie count - pound for pound - packs quite a punch. Taking a multivitamin with your Ramen would cover your nutritional requirements for the day.
You need fat, you can die if you dont have fat. I use Bacon fat or peanut butter, it is pretty darn hard to get fat out of nature as most Game is very lean.

·
Banned
471 Posts
I have taken apart several MRE's (usually stuff we didnt eat while in the field) and pake various pars in my BOB, usually try to take a little of everything. I also carry several whole MRE's.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
you could substitute instant rice for the noodles

·
Barefoot Hillbilly
378 Posts
try and find some dehydrated veggies. The nutritional value will probably not be as good as fresh veggies, but its better then none. I get a ramen kind of stuff, but it comes with dehydrated veggies and a liquid sauce packet. They are around 88 cents at Wal-Mart and are very good, but the only problem is, it comes in a bulky box.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
IMO, Ramen noodles can be a good easy soup starter - great tasting & super light. Most of the year here I would have no problem finding some wild veggies to pick & add to the boiling water. Throw in some frog legs or roasted grasshoppers & you could cover all the bases.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Ramen may have no nutritional value. but keep in mind spices, (like salt) and protein induce thirst. the more protein or spices you eat, the more thirst will be induced on you

Also, The body can adapt to get nutrition from other sources. So eat local plants. Fresh Fruit and Vegetables are the more perishable but also most nutritional

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
I like to boil up 2 to 3 packages of ramen, then rinse with cold water and set aside. add oil (I use olive), scallions or onions, garlic, peppers, celery, carrots and chicken and a little soy sauce and stir fry. Add over the noodles or add noodles to the mix and pan fry the noodles Hong Kong style

1 - 20 of 55 Posts