Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd create a thread to show and discuss inexpensive blade that DELIVER.

Got this Schrade Official army knife for $11 marked down from $55 at Big 5 (good ol Big 5 :thumb: ). A SF buddy of mine carries this as his main blade and yes he said he does consider it his fighter as well, just goes to show size isnt everything. Very sharp sturdy knife.

Got this 1 from an Asian store in the local mall, one of those stores that sell a bunch of swords and stuff. Its made by Falcon, never heard of them but this feels like a VERY solid knife, opens quickly, very sharp, good weight, 440 stainless. Got it for $10

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good score on that looks like it's decent quality for the money, I carry a smith&wession oasis that I paid $20 for.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
If you can stand Chinese made, the Boker Plus and Boker Magnum lines offer many pretty dang solid choices.

Speaking of Chinese, how about Chinese knife companies that don't always pretend to be US ones?

SANRENMU (SRM) offers really nice ones in various configs. They have made knives for Spyderco and other top names. The 710 series is particularly nice. I predict they'll be a name known worldwide for knives under their own name before long. Also, Navy and Enlan, which might actually be SRM also, not sure.

- OS

·
Registered
62 Posts
Big 5 usually has decent knives that go on sale every couple of weeks. I especially like the CRKT knives and I don't think I've spent more than $20 on any of them.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Kershaw and CRKT are good inexpensive knives and they are made in the U.S.
Whatcha been smoking?

Almost all CRKT knives are made in China and Taiwan. Maybe all.
I have 2 Minimalists, the Ritter, Dogfish, M16, Sting, all made in China.

Kershaw is owned by Japanese company and they also have knives made in China and Japan, what percentage I dunno cause I don't keep up with that company.

- OS

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Got this one for $35 from Amazon, free shipping.

Very impressive 1/4" thick 1095 coated steel. They make several in the SCHF line.

And don't forget Mora or Frost.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It is sad when an old, iconic brand of knives like Schrade suddenly closes its doors and takes manufacturing overseas. Truth is though, Ive bought a few of their knives from the new manufacturer and Ive no real issues with them, and one Ive really abused. Good score my friend.
Craig

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Top Quality for bottom dollar? Morakniv hands down and going away. The Mora companion goes for around 11-12 bucks. The blade material can vary between stainless or carbon. Either or...and they sell for about the same price.

The sandwiching of a layer of very high carbon steel between two layers of softer steel make the Mora one tough little knife. The Mora gives you get a high quality steel blade for around 11-12 bucks. My only knock is I don't care for the handle material. It's cheap, yet if I wanted too I could make a handle for the blade.

For an inexpensive folder I like the Opinel. Very light weight good carbon steel and priced around 20 bucks. Take it up a price point or two and it's Buck and Kabar knives that get the nod. I prefer not to buy chinese knives in 440 stainless. They are a pig in a poke if you ask me. Maybe they'll hold an edge and maybe they won't. If I'm going to toss twenty buck away on a cheap knife it will be on one that I know has good steel.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
... I prefer not to buy chinese knives in 440 stainless. They are a pig in a poke if you ask me. Maybe they'll hold an edge and maybe they won't. If I'm going to toss twenty buck away on a cheap knife it will be on one that I know has good steel.
Most of the Enlan and SRM models are 8Cr13MoV. I've had fine experience with that steel in many knives.

I agree that 440 a/b/c can vary widely, plus each grade is very much dependent on hardening process. But there's no absolute rule. After all, Buck uses the generally considered crappy 420 on some of their best knives, but their hardening process seems to be unique and of course produces very fine overall blades indeed.

- OS

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Most of the Enlan and SRM models are 8Cr13MoV. I've had fine experience with that steel in many knives.

I agree that 440 a/b/c can vary widely, plus each grade is very much dependent on hardening process. But there's no absolute rule. After all, Buck uses the generally considered crappy 420 on some of their best knives, but their hardening process seems to be unique and of course produces very fine overall blades indeed.

- OS
Stainless is carbon steel with a chromium content highter than 11%. As such it can vary in hardness and quality, that I agree with. The quality of chinese stainless is uncertian. I've seen it so brittle that the edge will chip out and so soft that when an edge is attained that it immediately dulls when used. Yet there are those that are very good and have the proper qualitites for a knife blade. A pig in a poke!

Another issue with inexpensive chinese knives is that they are basically dumped on the american market by the boat load. If you buy a well made chinese knife, for around 20 bucks you can rest assured that the knife was made by a worker who lives an existance one rung above slavery. I don't like to support that kind of business model. So I don't. I know it doesen't bother some, yet it bothers me.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
... If you buy a well made chinese knife, for around 20 bucks you can rest assured that the knife was made by a worker who lives an existance one rung above slavery. I don't like to support that kind of business model. So I don't. I know it doesen't bother some, yet it bothers me.
Yes, much better to help ensure that worker has no job at all and he and his family starves, altruistically ending their misery.

- OS

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Yes, much better to help ensure that worker has no job at all and he and his family starves, altruistically ending their misery.

- OS
Maybe maybe not. :thumb:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Kershaw is owned by Japanese company and they also have knives made in China and Japan, what percentage I dunno cause I don't keep up with that company.

- OS
Kershaw has many "Made in USA" knives.
I just bought 6 Storms for $10 a pop at WalMart on liquidation. I'm handing them out to family members as gifts. :)

·
Bergmann Field-Craft, AK
112 Posts
Got this and i use it here in Alaska for bushcraft..it was 35$ and so far ive beat the **** out of it and it still on my belt..IMO, for me, so far i wont part with it..Made in ElSalvador, not China...I hate China too..

Made by Condor..

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
Got this and i use it here in Alaska for bushcraft..it was 35$ and so far ive beat the **** out of it and it still on my belt..IMO, for me, so far i wont part with it..Made in ElSalvador, not China...I hate China too..

Made by Condor..
Condor isn't quite "bottom dollar", which is why I didn't throw it in, but is an outstanding value.

I have Rodan ($25ish), (Varan $27ish) , and a couple of their neck knives (under $20). Outstanding. Great leather sheaths, too -- they are pretty much worth the selling price alone.

- OS

1 - 20 of 30 Posts