Votes: 36 52.2%
  • No!

Votes: 33 47.8%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Tu ne cede malis.
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was watching High Fidelity last night, and it got me in the mood for thinking about various Top 5 lists of songs that I would want to have in a particular situation. I thought, why not apply this to a survival situation?

So, here is how my setup will go. If you had portable music (mp3, Walkman, shoulder-mounted boombox) with you in a survival situation and were limited to only five songs to help you get through it, what would you choose?

Now survival situation has a lot of meanings, so I am going to identify the environment as a TEOTWAWKI sort of happening.

Here are mine:

1. Dead Flowers - Townes Van Zandt version
2. Midnight Special - Leadbelly version
3. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
4. How Soon Is Now - The Smiths
5. Yakety Sax - Boots Randolph

Note: This thread is intended as a fun exercise, and hopefully some new relationships can be created out of it.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Well if I had a huge ship and a 5000 man crew i'd be playing "Born to Be Wild" Steppenwolf but out and on my own I think I'd just keep it quiet and in my head.

·
Tu ne cede malis.
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pry not any music for me since using my ears for surrounding noises is my main concern. And playing it out loud isn't a option since I'll be keeping a low profile.
I agree with you. I don't plan to walk down the street or through the woods while using an iPod if SHTF. I do think it would be nice, however, to listen to a comforting song or two before going to bed if I felt secure in my surroundings.

I also store all my critical information and files on my iPod and back up my Kindle books on it. I can easily access all my books, my skill guides, and edible plant pictures which will be helpful. I also have videos for some medical procedures and unduly complex activities that I can fall back on if necessary. My maps on it will supplement my printed information.

I also think an iPod that has music on it, any music at all, will be a great barter item if there is no other availability for such an item. Gold, silver, or paper money may be useful to some people, but a luxury item like an iPod that will satiate the digital masses will go a long way.

I voted "no", but now I am thinking.... what if the only CD in existance is what my wife has! Duran Duran ofr eternity?1?! NO!!!!!!
Oh, I hear you about Duran Duran. Only thing worse than that would be Genesis for eternity.

I am interested in discovering other people's tastes on here. In my experience, people who share musical tastes often share other interests as well.

I am glad you are light-hearted about it. I figure this thread may be a good way to personally introduce myself in the forums beyond the standard introduction on the new members' page.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I like the idea but 5 songs is way too difficult... I think if I only had 5 to choose from and could only ever hear those 5 over and over again I'd rather have nothing.... I don't know if I could choose only 5 albums let alone 5 songs.

That said, i've got a Sansa Clip in my BOB. Size of a matchbox, extremely simple to use, 13-15 hours on a charge, 4GB holds a ton of music and can store files and data too... love the thing!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,162 Posts
Why would there be music in my BOB? It serves no survival related purpose. I don't walk about with earbugs stuck in my ears now, I'm definately not going to be doing it when I need to hear as well as I can.

·
Infraction Collector
2,409 Posts
I think it'd be a good way to get yerself killed....lol

besides,..how would you hear the coded message to the resistance!

,....."Johns father has a long mustache"......hehe

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
For whom the bell tolls Metallica
99 ways to die Megadeth
Skeletons of society Slayer
Ace of spades Motorhead
Bad moon rising CCR

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I have music at my BIL. But I would never walk around in public (now or after SHTF) with ear phones in. They dull your situational awareness and make it more likely you'll be caught off guard.

As for music I like:

Sail
Nasty Letter
Gimme Shelter
Enter Sandman
Born to be Wild
I Don't Care
Black Betty

·
90/10 headed for 95/5
7,665 Posts
It pains me to disagree with MikeK, but in my case, yes.

Even though the assumption behind by BOB is to get from point A to point B, and that including music flies in the face of my ultra-light set-up....I've got a 160GB iPod with close to 50GB of music on it, and all of my survival-related .pdf's also stored thereon. If the unlikely happens, and we have to bug-out...when I get to the BOL, it's somewhat comforting to know that we'll have music.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking I'd take 3 books. Maine Short, Short Stories as Told, Bandannas and Mon Muse my private collection of chapbooks.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
Id take my ipod, but if I had to pick a top 5 for SHTF....

My ironically titled songs would be,
The End, The Doors
My City Was Gone, The Pretenders
End of the World as we Know it, REM
Down & Out in Paradise, John Mellencamp
The End of the Innocence, Don Henly

My top 5 favs would be..

Back in Black, AC/DC
Born in the USA, Springsteen
Simple Man, Charlie Daniels
Mississippi Queen, Mountain
I love it Loud, KISS

Those are songs Ive heard a million times and heve never gotten old.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts