Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think we can all agree that information is one of the most important preps to stock up on. In that spirit, what would you recommend as the top 3 survival books to keep on hand?

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I have Back to Basics. Great Book. I also have some of the Foxfire books, Petersons Guide to medicinal Plants, The encyclopedia of medicinal plants by Chevallier (That one tells you how to make medicine from plants) How to build a smokehouse, Complete book of trapping, a cook book and others. I have picked them up at yard sales over the years. There used to be lots of good stuff at yard sales. Last summer I picked up two portable silver ion water filters, brand new for 10 cents each. They fit nicely in backpacks. Also got a new fishing vest. Now the pockets are full with compass, lighters, iodine (try to find that now) and numerous other goodies. It's hanging by the door ready to put on and go.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think the most important thing is your own self-assessment with regard to skills. A book that covers basics on a subject you know intimately is of little value. For example, I don't have much in the way of cooking or horticulture reference material. I studied Horticulture formally, and have 25 years experience in the field, so naturally I have volumes in that regard instilled in my being. I instead pick-up books on things like building, roofing techniques and knot tying, etc. - areas where I'm weak - and commit as much of it to memory as possible.

My number one:
Camping and Woodcraft (both volumes in one) by Horace Kephart
An old standby for me. Lots of good oldtimer knowledge to be had here and I find myself returning to it again and again. If you fish or plan to be out in the woods at all, it is just full of great basics on a wide spectrum of subjects. There are some great bug dope recipes in here that I've tried, tested and modified with much satisfaction. The book is worth owning if for no other reason.

Granted, I am a book fiend, and in the end the entire library goes with me :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bushcraft by Richard Graves. I bought that one in 1982, when I was in the 6th grade. A classmate had a copy of it and let me look at it during recess. I had to have it. I still have it. Great survival book. I wonder if it's still in print.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Bushcraft by Richard Graves. I bought that one in 1982, when I was in the 6th grade. A classmate had a copy of it and let me look at it during recess. I had to have it. I still have it. Great survival book. I wonder if it's still in print.
Dunno, but I PDF'd it from here: http://christophermolloy.com/bushcraft

Reactions: Penny

·
Registered
204 Posts
If we were to limit the books to wilderness survival, I'd have to say that one of the best series I have read is the US Army Aviation Survival Correspondence Course... and I've read 'em all. It can be found at www.train.army.mil in the digital library.

The foxfire books are awesome. They are a rich source of pioneer lore - they'll even show you how to make a banjo for those post-SHTF "squeal like a pig" moments:D:

You can get all of them off of www.scribd.com. Reminder: you'll have to register before the download links will appear.

Reactions: Penny

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
The Black Death - A Chronicle of the Plague http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=11883

The Bible

SAS Survival Handbook

In my opinion, everyone should have least one non-fiction book. This will give an accurate reflection on reality. Its one thing to read a fiction end of the world book. Its another thing to have a history book based on true an accurate information. That is why I bought a couple of books on the Black Death. Nothing beats real stories of parents killing and eating their children because the parents were starving to death.

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Great thought there Kev, including a non fiction book. UC by John Ross is semi fiction semi non fiction.

I would like to add #4, Klondike, the last great gold rush, by P. Berton.
Explains in great detail what happened from boom to bust in that gold rush of 1896-98, and how unprepared people were, what they lacked, how many prospered, how many didn't.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts