Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the free dictionary: sur·viv·al (sr-vvl)
n.
a. The act or process of surviving.
b. The fact of having survived.
2. Something, such as an ancient custom or belief, that has survived.
source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/survival

what our survival is actually threatened by: preventable deaths list
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:preventable_causes_of_death.png

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Therefore, to save you and your family you would need:

1. tobacco smoking
essential survivalist item: trash can

2. obesity

3. alcohol
item: trash can

4. infectious disease
items: soap, antibiotics

5. toxins

6. motor vehicle collision
items: first aid kit

7. firearms death

8. std's
items: condoms

9. drug abuse

I can only think of 5 items for now. Any ideas (based on the preventable causes)?

Don't tell me knife or paracord, unless it actually has a common cause of death prevention application. The AED's are too expensive for me right now :rolleyes:

Any other comments on my list?

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
Wait What??

Reactions: goose3

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
I think he's trying to say there are things endangering us that are more likely to kill us than TEOTWAWKI.

And he is probably correct.

We should all stop smoking, lose weight, stop drinking, bathe occasionally, not drink poisons, stop driving, not shoot each other, practice safe sex, stay off drugs and learn to count.

·
King of Wishful Thinking
192 Posts
I think he's trying to say there are things endangering us that are more likely to kill us than TEOTWAWKI.

We should all stop smoking, lose weight, stop drinking, bathe occasionally, not drink poisons, stop driving, not shoot each other, practice safe sex, stay off drugs and learn to count.
Haha! You're absolutely right.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
What i'm getting at is that there are many lists on what to get as a prepper - and most of them focus heavily on weapons and things that actually do have a valid use in certain situations.
So there we are, ready for life in the woods and for survival of the zombie apocalypse and vicious attack and whatnot.
But then, it is so easy to become completely blind to what actually threatens our survival - this is why i posted the definition from the dictionary - survival is about living through a situation you are actually put into, otherwise, what kind of survival are we really talking about? Many of us live in more or less developed countries - which have their own risks, even when they are not as acute as they would be in some other places and situations.

I think there is an elephant in the room and we are trying to catch the fruitfly.

The statistics are pretty clear on the common causes - yet there is rarely speak of how, for example, cardiovascular disease could cause less deaths. That maybe, the problem is not what kind of weapons the politicians buy, but rather what research they should fund.

Wikipedia lists suicide on the developed countries list, while it doesn't list being killed by another person - so may it be that statistically speaking, it is more likely that you will shoot yourself (or a member of your family may do it) with a gun then kill an intruder? If that were the case, does your opinion on getting one change?

I think preppers should take the statistics seriously, even if they may not always be right; and prepare for the likely scenario, instead of the fun one.

Or is it too scary for people to think about bad things that actually happen around as so often?

-----------------------

My question again: what would you add to the list?

For example, what would help you in a car accident other the the first aid kit? How would you recognize toxins in your home or environment that may pose a risk to you or your family?
etc..

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,960 Posts
Wow.

I don't smoke, so that's not a top-10 item. I am a light drinker (beer mostly) so that's not a top-10 item.

A first-aid kit is something every prepper has or should have. So while that's a top-10 item, it's nothing new nor shocking.

I'm married and monogamous, so I am not very concerned about contracting STDs. Frankly, condoms would have more value in preventing pregnancy in the early days of TEOTWAWKI.

In fact, unless they're not very bright, I can't see most people here succumbing to most of your top 10.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,538 Posts
Not shoot each other? That takes all the fun out of the SHTF!

And I can count to 11 just fine (21 if I take my shoes off).

·
Silver Wings
11,356 Posts
Preventable causes?

Don't mess with a bull, you might get the horns.

Reactions: goose3

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
Not shoot each other? That takes all the fun out of the SHTF!

And I can count to 11 just fine (21 if I take my shoes off).
yur missin a toe as well?

Reactions: MikeK

·
I'm tryin'
289 Posts

What's the point of living then??;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
In fact, unless they're not very bright, I can't see most people here succumbing to most of your top 10.
So the most likely causes of death do not apply to preppers, and we shouldn't base our preps on them. :rolleyes:

Somehow, i'm not persuaded. For one, my grandparents all lived healthily, had food in storage etc etc but two of them have developed cardiovascular disease. Maybe i should add insurance, but that is not really an item.

I think i see where this is going. The idea of prepping is apparently aimed at preventing death in a undeveloped society (or one becoming like that temporarily due too natural disaster), not actually surviving in the one we are; the reason being, that apparently no one really knows or likes to think about that scenario - it is, after all, too threatening and apparent, with the situation being near hopeless (no one has an idea what to do about it, there are no items that you can buy to prevent it).

Its ridiculous, we nearly know what we well die of (most of us will anyway), and were doing nothing about it? We are gonna let "others" handle it. Weren't we just talking (in other threads) how this is sheeple mentality? :rolleyes:

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
Its ridiculous, we nearly know what we well die of (most of us will anyway), and were doing nothing about it? We are gonna let "others" handle it. Weren't we just talking (in other threads) how this is sheeple mentality? :rolleyes:
I hope and prep to die of natural causes, preferably old age. I would love to prevent old age from happening. If you have any ideas on how to avoid this highly likely cause of death please let me know. I do not want to be a sheeple. :cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts