Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has been beat to death but oh well. I was researching what foods were best for energy, as my energy level is somewhat relaxed. According to what I read, salmon is the best meat for energy. Went to Walmart, and the Great Value brand was sold out. Somebody else knows this too. Went to Dollar General, they had some for $3.25 a can. Got one can of "Double Q" brand to try it out and see if it's fairly palatable. Best by 2015. Think I'll check out Walmarts Best Value brand when they restock and if it's good enough, stock up on a buttload of the stuff. I love salmon patties.
As for vegetables, asparagus and spinach are right up there. Asparagus is most likely expensive, but spinach is probly cheap, since kids hate it.

·
Registered
608 Posts
here in my neck of the woods (Mid Atlantic) CVS regularly has Bumble Bee canned salmon on sale for $2.50 a can. You may want to keep an eye on the Sunday sales flyers to see if the stores in Nebraska have the same sales.

·
Be Prepared
1,087 Posts
yup, I like the canned salmon and tuna better than the click or the spam mystery meats.

I'm going to the discount grocery store this morning and I will be looking to pick some canned salmon, tuna, and ham. I hope to get them for less than $2.00 but we will see.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
i've been buying the chopped canned ham for a buck in Wal-mart here in the North. Also i have found Salmon for under 3 bucks. Canned Mackeral isn't too bad either and Mackeral is a fatty fish. Sardines, kippers any of that sort is good for you. Of course if possible catch the fresh during the warmer months . good luck.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Salmon patties: One can of salmon, any size. One egg, minced onion (dry or fresh) to taste, a sprinkle of dry dillweed, a handful of crushed cracker crumbs, a couple tablespoons of biscuit mix or self-rising flour. Stir into a fairly stiff mixture, then drop by big spoonfuls into a skillet of hot oil or crisco, flatten into patties and fry on each side until golden brown, drain on paper towels. We like them with mashed potatoes and green peas.
This is a very forgiving recipe - you basically just need egg to hold it together and some kind of starch to give it shape and to fry. You could probably get away with something like cornflakes if you didn't have crackers, or breadcrumbs or whatever you have.
I used to date somebody who was "fresh salmon only" but after I twisted his arm up behind his back and made him eat these, he really liked them.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Monique, thats pretty much how I make mine. Except I eat mine on a bun with spicy brown mustard and a slice of onion so I don't put onion in the patties. Oh, and if you have to stretch one can to feed more people you just add two eggs and more bread crumbs :thumb:

·
Study becomes insight
239 Posts
I go with a hybrid - meat/carbs - corned beef hash is awesome. Has potatoes in it.

It's not exactly cheap - 2-3$ per can, but I actually eat it once per week or so and it tastes awesome - eat what you store, right? Baked beans are right up there (not meat, but has protein/carbs/fiber and again, tastes awesome). I eat them probably 3x week.

·
Banned
12,493 Posts
I stock canned tuna, salmon, chicken and ham. I get all for less than a dollar by waiting for the right sale from the right supermarket and stocking up then. Who, in their right mind, would spend $3.50 on a can of salmon?

The flyers from the local supermarkets are delivered in our mailbox weekly, I just look through them and any fantastc deals I see, that's my food prep for the week. This week pasta, next week sugar and flour, week after canned salmon and tuna... Way more bang for the prepping buck.

·
Banned
12,493 Posts
I go with a hybrid - meat/carbs - corned beef hash is awesome. Has potatoes in it.

It's not exactly cheap - 2-3$ per can, but I actually eat it once per week or so and it tastes awesome - eat what you store, right?
I love that stuff and so do the kids, but it's bloody near $4 a can here and never on sale. If it ever goes on sale I'll have to clear out a closet.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Another way to eat canned Salmon is just like tuna salad. Its cooked in the can so drain take out bone. cut up onion and celery and mix with mayo eat on bun or make mac salad out of it.

·
Jihaadi GoBOOM
5,365 Posts
Dollar stores have some good buys, but for food items, try one before you buy a bunch. Some is ok, some downright nasty. Much of their stock comes from china too, and personally I try to avoid processed foods made in china. YMMV...

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
I haven't tried it but a lot of my fisher friends can their own fish. One guy cans carp and says that except for the color you can't tell it from salmon. Course that warmwater fish wouldn't have the high levels of omega 3 but I put flax seed on my breakfast cereal for that.

·
Banned
12,493 Posts
Canned mackerel is super cheap and very healthy. It's a big stronger in taste though. So it requires a little work recipe wise. But you can generally get a large can of it for a buck or so. I use a lot of it here but it was an acquired taste.
I love fresh mackarel and yank the little bastards out of the ocean myself 2 or 3 at a time when they're running. Never tried canned (it's hard to pay for somethng you catch for free), but I have to think the oil of stored mackeral would counteract rabbit starvation for those counting on rabbits as a food source. Oiliest fish I know of (and delicious) and oil/fat is essential to survival.

1 - 20 of 119 Posts