Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Looking for a new Name
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always see lots of discussion about BOBs, self sufficient living, first aid, weapons, you know, the things in the survival world that are kin to watching the news now days... But I have never see anyone talking about off-the-grid tools. You Craftsman Skill Saw and Home Depot cordless drill won't be very useful in a prolonged grid down event like major flooding and tornadoes.

Does everyone have "backup tools"?

Skill saw - Hand saw, both cross cut and rip
Power Drill - Brace, twist drill and bits
Dremmel - set of files
Nail-Gun - Hammer
Air Compressor - ummmmm, well....
Laser level - spirit level
Planer - Jack plans, draw knives, chisels
Supply of various nails and screws and bolts
Building materials in bulk
Home repair items like caulk, washers, finish nails

How many of the tools listed Here do you have and know how to use them?

Just thinking out loud....

BhmJeep

·
Registered
291 Posts
Good thread. I myself have almost all. I'm still working on getting extra materials.

I would add to your list. Sledge hammer, mallet, nuts, bolts, washers, lots of sandpaper.

This list could go forever, but I agree we should all have the basics.

I would also add pipe with fittings and reducing fittings, even pvc would hold for a while. Sorry if anything is redundant.

·
Looking for a new Name
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that's great stuff! I seem to think in terms of wood or metal. I don't think in pipe because i HATE plumbing......

·
1,313 Posts
We do have what you listed as well wood planes, chisels, wedges,axes and a two man saw. We have nails screws, pipe in metal and PVC. An anvil, swingblade, push mower block and tackle, yokes and harrow for plowing, that what I can think of now.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Garden hand tools........ shovels, hoes, rakes, etc.........

Hacksaws - and tons of blades, pipe cutters (for metal tubing),

·
Registered
Bugging In
1,825 Posts
Tools are used to do several key things. Dig, cut, join, measure, grip, extend, etc. Look at a multi-tool, which was designed to be an improved pocket tool kit. Pretty much everything you need right there. If the little folding parts don't do it for you, then invest in their bigger brothers. Fortunately, most are available inexpensively at second hand shops and flea markets. Seems like the older stuff is generally built better, by the way.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you don't always have to get the highest quality available. Sometimes good enough is good enough. A hammer is a hammer for 99% of what most people use them for. Yes, buy quality once, but I don't need a laser on my circular saw, and if you're using a knife as a pry bar its going to break. Use a pry bar.

Getting back to the Leatherman part, some things can have multiple uses. A simple piece of string can be used to measure distance and draw circles or straight lines, for example. Point is, only buy (or even better, rent) something specialized if you can't make do with what you have.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I got a ton of hand tools and know how to use them to their full potential. Only recently been using power tools on a regular basis for the last 4 years. Before that everything was by hand. Need a board cut use a hand saw, need to hold a board together use a hammer or screwdriver. I actually hate nail guns with a passion. I actually think a real craftsman is someone that can build something with just hand tools just as well as power tools.

I do need to get a few more hand tools.
Brace to replace my drill
a few more files and rasps
another block plane
draw knife
some kind of workshop hatchet I saw on tv once

A hand tool will always work till it breaks but a power tool can be worthless as soon as the power stops and then you only got a paper weight. Even your generators or solar panels can eventually fail. It is best to have both and know how to use both equally.

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
in regard to any tools ....... when you think you have enough ...... keep collecting the bargains ...... going to be a major number of refugee types with skills that are unfortunately empty handed ...... all kinds of possible trades and labor swaps possible with the correct resources available ......

·
Looking for a new Name
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have learned over the years that I can pass as a carpenter but fail miserably as a woodworker... I can build a deck, frame a house, build a shed but if I even THINK about putting up wood trim... fuggetabout....

BhmJeep

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
I learned using mostly hand tools, and have added more to them throughout the years. I pretty much have basic carpentry, basic metalworking, general repairs and gunsmithing covered. I also collect antique tools, so I've picked up quite a few that way, just to fulfill an interest. My recent additions were some more hand drills and braces. A little short on the bits for them though.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
I know how to use all on the list. When i was in school they still had wood-shop, and it was a required class, as was metal-shop, Industrial drawing, and Home Economics. Well all 4 for the first year of JH, then you could pick 2 for the remaining years.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have a smithy starter kit. Anvil, tongs, hammer, a few bags of coal and a bellows. One of those side projects that I had planned to monkey around with and never got the time to. Where does all the time go?

·
Banned
1,228 Posts
Just bough scythe and sickle. (my wife found it amusing. She made a picture of me with scythe as “mister death”) One local hardware store still sells them new.

Bough antique two handed saw without handles but blade is in nearly perfect condition. I can make handles if it comes to that.

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
"New" old tool

at a garage sale last weekend i picked up a hand powered grinding wheel that clamps to a table or bench. will fit most sizes of stone wheels and might even take a wire brush wheel. seriously good find cause i hate to manually sharpen stuff.

·
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute
3,040 Posts
I always see lots of discussion about BOBs, self sufficient living, first aid, weapons, you know, the things in the survival world that are kin to watching the news now days... But I have never see anyone talking about off-the-grid tools. You Craftsman Skill Saw and Home Depot cordless drill won't be very useful in a prolonged grid down event like major flooding and tornadoes.

Does everyone have "backup tools"?

Skill saw - Hand saw, both cross cut and rip
Power Drill - Brace, twist drill and bits
Dremmel - set of files
Nail-Gun - Hammer
Air Compressor - ummmmm, well....
Laser level - spirit level
Planer - Jack plans, draw knives, chisels
Supply of various nails and screws and bolts
Building materials in bulk
Home repair items like caulk, washers, finish nails

Just thinking out loud....

BhmJeep
All of the above and a bunch more. Came from the north woods without electricity when I was a puppy and Great Grandpa was a blacksmith. The old Bohunk streak in me lets me enjoy a draw plane more than it does a power sander. I even have the goodies to stick on my anvil to bend and shape metal or repair a boot. From scythe to tack hammer to buck saw I am good to go when the lights go out.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I purchased a Rigid 12 volt drill, not really that big, but I can run it off a car battery and recharge with my solar panel. Might last me a extra couple of years...who knows...

·
Gun Luvin Hippie
231 Posts
Most important thing is get the tools mentioned in this thread.

The second most important thing is practice using them so you can learn to budget time, maintain tools and experience what your abilities are. I will never use a hand tool in place of a power tool on the job because of time. Therefor I took up some recreational projects requiring hand powered tools to see what's practical.

I recommend buying a book on how to build childrens wooden toys and get to work.

It sounds cheesy and mundane but it becomes challenging really fast. Ever try drilling several 4" deep perfectly straight holes with a hand drill? It will be a while before your projects start looking as nice as the ones in the book no matter how many houses you've built. I consider myself a carpenter but doing things with no electricity is a whole other ball game.

P.S. Anyone serious about compiling a hand tool kit be sure to purchase a shinto rasp. You'll be glad you did.

Hemp

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have a pretty good collection of hand planes, bench, ploughs, blocks and shoulder

Fair collection of cross cut and rip saws

Hammers, mallets mauls and axes and wedges

Files and chisels

Brace and bits

Also have a wook bench and vice

1 - 20 of 24 Posts