Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody carry tools such as bolt cutters, crow bars, ect.

I'm thinking about getting a small army tool bag and equiping it with some everyday tools to help in entry or exits.

explosives not included:D:

·
Registered
303 Posts
you are setting yourself up look like a criminal if you ever got stopped with that bag, I would not let a cop search my car without a warrant anyway but if they got a warrant then found it they would probably charge you with something

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm very well known with the local PD, and I work at the Prison. They know my intent.

I carry a tool box in my car all the time and have been searched. This was before my career now so it probably did look suspicious. I simply told them that it was my BOB and Escape kit. The officer and I then proceeded to have a two hour discussion about OUR bob's there on the side of the highway...lol. I think as long as you don’t act suspicious and are respectful. I have a slim jim but that’s because I’m always bailing out family that lock there keys in there cars, have yet to have a problem.

·
Here's a man who stood up
650 Posts
I carry alot of stuff in my truck. Bolt cutters, small shovel, axes(3) bow saw, crow bar, jumper cables, tool boxes(2), brake fluid, oil, anti freeze, power steering fluid, fix-a-flat, starter fluid, spark plugs, blankets, camping gear, flares, siphon, rope, tow strap, hat, gloves boots, knives(3), gas can, serpintine belt, ohm meter, three different guages of electrical wire, flashlights(2), ammo, and some other goodies.
I never had a problem with the law, been pulled over plenty.

Possesion of a certain tool is not equal to guilt. Cops cannot throw you in jail because you have a bolt cutters. Possession of a bolt cutter is not a crime in any state of the union that I know, go ahead and carry.

A slim jim on the other hand might raise a few eye brows, as well as handcuff keys, loaded firearms, open intoxicants, etc.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I keep a pry tool in my truck along with a 2 gallon plastic gas can, three road flares and some duct tape.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about a dedicated pack that you can carry in a BO situation.

ie. i carry a small crow bar, wire cutters, small bolt cutters, adjustable pliers and wrench also a combo screw driver. I also have a saw that suposidly cuts most anything. Some assorted hardware and bonding agents(glue, tape, ties,ect). I also have a demolitions hammer i got at home depot and a small torch.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I always carry bolt-cutters, wrecking bar, sledge, snips, ax, saw, shovel, ropes & slings, chains, canvas tarps, etc., in the truck because of the horse and stock trailers. In addition to the regular truck equipment and certain other veterinary medical supplies.

It all rides in the truck, never in the trailers, incase I need to get to it quick.

I've never, and probably will never, ever give a second thought to being searched. For alot of farm people, that is just normal EDC.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I always carry bolt-cutters, wrecking bar, sledge, snips, ax, saw, shovel, ropes & slings, chains, canvas tarps, etc., in the truck because of the horse and stock trailers. In addition to the regular truck equipment and certain other veterinary medical supplies.

It all rides in the truck, never in the trailers, incase I need to get to it quick.

I've never, and probably will never, ever give a second thought to being searched. For alot of farm people, that is just normal EDC.
I was going to say that when I lived out west I carried a lot more in my trunk then I do now. In the country you spend a lot more time on your own I remember going to work on Sunday morning and seeing none for an hour drive. Here I see like 30 people going to corner store. I don't know how well the need excuse would fly around here with bolt cutters and a slim jim I'd find myself having a long talk course since I'm an old fat wish I was rich white guy I'd be home by bedtime. THe only difference in our list was the Sledge I carried a really heavy axe it did the work I needed. :)

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
If you buy the big bolt cutters (which you will need to cut anything of any size) be sure they are made in US. Chinese stuff or Indo/Pakistani are just junk. Metal is too soft for most cuts. I have a pair that are 4 feet long and will not cut s__t. You will pay more for US made stuff but they are worth it. I had to go back and spend the money on them.

As far as being stopped. I agree with several of the above in that you should carry a box load of tools. If you look like you are a working person they will not care about it at all. Truth is most police officers are just as concerned about survival as you are. I know that statement will make me look like I am with the "enemy" to some but who cares. My best friends are police officers and first responders. If you don't act guilty you aren't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I carry a lock pick set in my EDC. I've been in the locksmith/security industry for over 23 years so I have the right to carry them. Used them more times then I can count too.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If you buy the big bolt cutters (which you will need to cut anything of any size) be sure they are made in US. Chinese stuff or Indo/Pakistani are just junk. Metal is too soft for most cuts. I have a pair that are 4 feet long and will not cut s__t. You will pay more for US made stuff but they are worth it. I had to go back and spend the money on them.

As far as being stopped. I agree with several of the above in that you should carry a box load of tools. If you look like you are a working person they will not care about it at all. Truth is most police officers are just as concerned about survival as you are. I know that statement will make me look like I am with the "enemy" to some but who cares. My best friends are police officers and first responders. If you don't act guilty you aren't.
You are soooo... right about the chinese bolt cutters, we went thru 3 pairs of them on a job 1 time.
The American or japanese ones last 30x longer.
I carry a set in my truck, 2 in my shop and 1 in the garage.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I carry bolt cutters, wire cutters, wire strippers, slim jim, inflatable window jamb wedge, small sledge hammer, extending retrieval magnet, thick bendable wire(Coat hanger wire), lines men pliers, small pry bar, spool of thick utility wire, Big Ass crescent wrench, medium crescent, and small crescent, Mag lite, spring action center punch, hunting knife, zip ties, electrical tape, asst electrical connectors, and small socket and screw driver sets.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I keep a small tool kit in my truck that has screw drivers, wrenches, a small socket set and other vehicle related tools. I also carry an ax, a folding shovel, and a tow rope. As for item that could be used for entry I have a window punch, an EOD Breacher Bar, a small crow bar and I normally have a few coat hangers lying around. I really need to get a set of bolt cutters too.

·
TrailBlazer
734 Posts
Tools are a must, you never know when you may need them. May not even be a dire situation, but having something on hand will save headaches and stress for many a situations.

One thought tho, make sure you hide your tool bag or kit well, the site of a box or bag in any vehicle makes it a prime target for theft (found out the hard way this year)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ive got all mannor of them, ive been pulled over at night for a random check
car looked over i always let them ive got nothing to hide. asked why i had a crowbar, explained im a Fitter by trade tool of the trade no more was said, legititmate use. if you have things like bolt cutters, rope, crowbar ect and no reason they might think burglary ect

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
They can think all they want. there will be no ties to any burgleries so i have nothing to worry about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts