Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to get a new wilderness survival knife? which one do you think is better, the Tops Tom Brown Tracker or the Red Scorpion Six Raven? Which is better and what are some other options? thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I actually have the TB Tracker Knife from TOPS. It does exactly what it is advertised to do. You can chop, shave, split, carve, notch, yadda yadda. and it is a tough knife that can take a beating. Is it worth all that money? Debatable. You could find something cheaper that can do exactly the same thing. But if money isn't an issue for you I would go for the Tops version vs the Scorpion which seems like a cheap knock off.

I bought mine with the $600 stimulus check I got from Uncle Sam. Figured he was giving it to me to spend so I spent it on an American Product. If you do choose to get it I would suggest getting it from Hedgehog Leatherworks. The people there honestly believe in their work and have the most superb customer service alive. Case in point I wanted to upgrade my sheath and the owner personally did the work and got it back to me within a week and then followed up with emails to make sure I was satisfied.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I am a knive collector/enthusiast and belong to bladeforums, also. Most of us on that forum feel that the TB Tracker is way over priced and too much of a compromise on the important thing to get it to "do everything". The steal is 1095 carbon, which is good for hard use, and a good choice of material for a woods knife. However, it is not expensive stock, in fact it's one of the cheapest to purchase. So the knife is definetly overpriced based on materials. I do like the handle design, that's about it.

·
V
21,713 Posts
So I want to get a new wilderness survival knife? which one do you think is better, the Tops Tom Brown Tracker or the Red Scorpion Six Raven? Which is better and what are some other options? thanks.
Get a khukri and save about $150ish imho its a fancy pants knife, your paying for the name and film advertising more than the knife.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have both the Predator and Raven from RS6 and they are both better than the TB Tracker. I sold my tracker due to the fact the blade edge did not sharpen well and the handle was bad. I would get the RS6 Raven if you like carbon and the predator if you like stainless.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I have the TB Tracker great knife I have used it for two years with no problems it throws nice with the curved handle it throws like t tomohawk very easy.The E-Z lap sharperner is a must with this knife for the field.

·
Registered
2 Posts
mini

i love the idea of the raven wsk: the shape, the handle contours that curves downward to equalize the force on the palm during chops, the edge, the saw that doesnt bind, the more protruded quarter round. ONE problem, this knife is meant for big people. tom brown tracker has a mini version, which i think is perfect sizing for a survival knife 9.5". the raven is a 13" knife, which is 1.5" to 2" longer than the normal beck iterations. i'm a small-medium size person with skinny fingers and wish that rss decides to make a smaller version thats 9"-10" that my hand would fit. i cant imagine throwing something 13" as accurate as i can with 9". btw the raven handle looks like throwing releases would work very well. i'm actually surprised no one else besides tops makes a mini, more discrete, version for smaller patrons.

·
Registered
88 Posts
There are custom makers out there. I personally think RS6 will make a smaller version. I really like my 2 over the Tops version. The handle looks nicer and fits the hand better. I use the saw for actually either tenderizing meat or combing out reeds for cordage. I have made a few trigger notches with it. Only spine saw I know that cuts well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the RSS knives have had issues with the steel chipping. The Tom brown is just too heavy. It does baton very well, the hook thing looks like it might not work like a normal knife while batoning but it really does a very good job because of its thickness. The steel is pretty tough as well. It also has a very strong finish. In reality this knife is a total beater for me I could careless about it and I leave it outside alot. I would never want to carry it around due to the weight just not being worth it, you could get a coldsteel trailmaster for alot less and have way more knife. Get a SAK and a Trailmaster IMO.

·
Pursuing freedom.
296 Posts
I ordered a Tom Brown Tracker last year. The seller has it back and I went out and purchased a Frosts Mora #1, Ontario 12" machete & Kershaw folding saw. Total cost of all 3 tools: $50. I took the $200 in savings and bought more bushcraft and preparedness stuff.

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
the RSS knives have had issues with the steel chipping. The Tom brown is just too heavy. It does baton very well, the hook thing looks like it might not work like a normal knife while batoning but it really does a very good job because of its thickness. The steel is pretty tough as well. It also has a very strong finish. In reality this knife is a total beater for me I could careless about it and I leave it outside alot. I would never want to carry it around due to the weight just not being worth it, you could get a coldsteel trailmaster for alot less and have way more knife. Get a SAK and a Trailmaster IMO.
Yeah the RS6 Predator did have a some issues with heat treat inconsistencies. The carbon steel has made all the difference for me.

The carbon steel Trailmaster is a good knife but I saw a YouTube video of www.knifetests.com and they did a review of china made $10 clone and it actually did just as good and scored higher!!

I still love me WSK though.

·
Got any beer money?
371 Posts
I ordered a Tom Brown Tracker last year. The seller has it back and I went out and purchased a Frosts Mora #1, Ontario 12" machete & Kershaw folding saw. Total cost of all 3 tools: $50. I took the $200 in savings and bought more bushcraft and preparedness stuff.
There you go! The tools you bought not only saved you $200 but will also perform their intended tasks MUCH better than the Tracker.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good Choice! in my opinion that is a better choice than the tracker, not even tom brown uses that thing, and none of his instructors use it either, TRUTH!.

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
Good Choice! in my opinion that is a better choice than the tracker, not even tom brown uses that thing, and none of his instructors use it either, TRUTH!.
so your saying Tom is really just a profiteer schlepping a product? So is BSing the Old Indian Spirit world too?

What about this? the second video sounds like he is drunk or high. lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
I dont know, getting onto the topic of tom brown is getting very off topic. and everyone has alot of points. But I personally think he is a very good teacher and extremely knowledgeable, he knows how to survive, and so do his instructors. That being said, he preaches being "green" and not wasting, and not poluting, yet he drives a hummer everywhere he goes, When the survival community found out that he lied about his "teacher" and confronted him about it, he was so ashamed at being caught that he went to hide in the woods for a month or two (I dont remember how long specifically) coming out in pretty bad shape. I just dont know, he teaches some good things, but there is alot of evidence that he is in it for the money now, and he has been caught lying alot. I dont personally know him, and im sure he has a side of the story too, so I cant judge a person like that.

I do know though, that I sure wouldnt use that knife! :D

·
OBAMA Sucks Smokin Weed
297 Posts
I sold my tracker too. But the Predator WSK which I sold here, was great and the Raven WSk has saved my butt a few times already.

I really like the design and the Raven WSK design IMHO works better than that paperweight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts