Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes, Tom Brown and his students (I believe that's his son) knows what they're doing! There are so many great techniques in stalking. This is probably my favorite skill in the woods, but whenever I talk to people about it, they think I'm weird.
If I'm doing some hardcore stalking (deer and fox), I'll do it all: de-scent, mud up, smear and dabble, then roll in dry dirt. I don't mind cleaning off in the river afterward.
I'm working on getting someone to help me film a few videos of this and other survival skills. I think he's willing to help me post some videos here and on youtube, but he wants to wait until it gets nicer outside. I promise I'll have some videos on stalking soon.
Does anyone know if I'd post that in a link or the post itself, or how to do that?

·
Totally Un-Hip
878 Posts
His books about his exploits are fiction. If Indians could do what he claims to be able to do no non-Indian would be here. He claims to be able to punch through walls and disappear. He says he can track mice over concrete. There is no record of "Grandfather". He preaches hippie general Indian spirituality. He is a fraud in many matters.

·
Registered
27 Posts
His books about his exploits are fiction. If Indians could do what he claims to be able to do no non-Indian would be here. He claims to be able to punch through walls and disappear. He says he can track mice over concrete. There is no record of "Grandfather". He preaches hippie general Indian spirituality. He is a fraud in many matters.
Whether his stories are true or not, his skills are applicable in the wilderness. Most modern survivalist focus on equipment and technology, while Tom teaches skills requiring no modern equipment. That is what's practical in the woods. His main message is not of Indian spirituality, but respect for the earth. Who would argue with caring for the earth? I know he doesn't practice everything he preaches, but his general message is worth spreading. I don't believe in man made global warming, I'm not a pot smoking hippie, but I do realize how dependent mankind is on the well being of this planet, whether living in or out of society. Sorry for the rant, but please, if your one of the people who throws their wrapper or cigarette but out the window, next time think about me picking it up with a big smile on my face. I used to hate finding litter, but now I see it as an opportunity to show my appreciation for the earth's gift of life. Sorry, but I'd rather find joy and purpose by picking up other people's litter than by staring at a glowing rectangle, trying to find some meaning for your existence.

·
Totally Un-Hip
878 Posts
Whether his stories are true or not, his skills are applicable in the wilderness. Most modern survivalist focus on equipment and technology, while Tom teaches skills requiring no modern equipment. That is what's practical in the woods. His main message is not of Indian spirituality, but respect for the earth. Who would argue with caring for the earth? I know he doesn't practice everything he preaches, but his general message is worth spreading. I don't believe in man made global warming, I'm not a pot smoking hippie, but I do realize how dependent mankind is on the well being of this planet, whether living in or out of society. Sorry for the rant, but please, if your one of the people who throws their wrapper or cigarette but out the window, next time think about me picking it up with a big smile on my face. I used to hate finding litter, but now I see it as an opportunity to show my appreciation for the earth's gift of life. Sorry, but I'd rather find joy and purpose by picking up other people's litter than by staring at a glowing rectangle, trying to find some meaning for your existence.
I have read his books. I own several of them. His "survival" books have basic info in it, nothing special about them, except about spirits of animals. His knife is a gimmick.

The last part I don't understand really. Are you implying you know me well enough to make a judgment about my life and personality based on a broken paragraph.

·
Totally Un-Hip
878 Posts
The last part I don't understand really. Are you implying you know me well enough to make a judgment about my life and personality based on a broken paragraph.
Well maybe you can if Tom Brown can tell people's emotions by their tracks.

Yes those skills are useful but man is a tool based animal, and in an SHTF/WROL situation it is best to have steel blades, steel plows, medicine, gunpowder, and electricity than stone tools and wooden sticks.
Those skills do come in very handy but it is best to spend more time on more modern tools.

·
Freedom isn't free.
6,145 Posts
I'm working on getting someone to help me film a few videos of this and other survival skills. I think he's willing to help me post some videos here and on youtube, but he wants to wait until it gets nicer outside. Does anyone know if I'd post that in a link or the post itself, or how to do that?
With posting videos all you need do is copy the url from the videos web page address bar and then paste the url into your post. The video player will appear in your post ready to be played by anyone interested in doing so. Just like the videos above. :thumb:

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regardless, of what you guys might think about Tom and I don't buy into the hype about Tom Jr either. But I can tell you from personal experience that Tom is a truly awesome woodsman and expert tracker. There may be a bunch of hype out there about Tom but if a monkey had done half as much tracking as Tom has done in his life it would be able to track mice across concrete. I know a tracker that told me about a recent court case about an extremely good forensic tracker that worked for the police on murder cases out in the west. The tracker was involved with tracking down the murder suspect and when he got into court to testify the judge didn't believe he could track that well. That it was not a science and that he would have to prove his abilities before the judge would even admit his evidence. The tracker and the judge went to the back door that takes you out to the parking lot. Tracker told the judge to walk out on his own and he would wait inside and then he would track him over concrete. Judge did his thing and the forensic tracker came out and found every single track in the concrete and even told him minute details about what he was doing in specific turns. Needless to say the judge was impressed and admitted all the evidence. Dust is flattened when stepped on, you just need to know what to look for on the smallest scale. So I think if a non Tom Brown tracker can do it then the person who made it famous surely should be able to do it! Watch the link at the top about the throwing stick. T3 has actually killed two deer with a throwing stick. Tom Brown III (his son) will actually tell you himself that he doesn't buy into all his dads stuff. But all bull**** aside they are both awesome woodsman! How do I know? Because T3 is my head primitive skills instructor at Sigma 3 Survival School and I have seen his skill firsthand. www.survivalschool.us

·
Survival Instructor
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Its true that Tom Brown Jr has a major cult following and I am not one of them. T3 is completely different than his father. Total 180! And yes I am a little biased, its true. Prefer full disclosure to bs'ing! But just imagine if someone threw a baseball as hard as they could and hit you right in the back of the skull from 10 yards or less. I would bet dollar to donuts it would knock your a** out! And then once you knock the creature out then you go finish the job with something else. When he throws that things it sounds like a miniature chinook helicopter flying through the air. And they are hardened hickory sticks that weigh 3 times the weight of a baseball. Its the real deal, I promise. But I will say that if I have the choice of almost any other weapon modern or primitive I would probably choose something else. But if you have nothing this is the simplest thing to make with no tools. All you have to do is get close enough to hit an animal and stun it and then finish the job with something else. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have read his books. I own several of them. His "survival" books have basic info in it, nothing special about them, except about spirits of animals. His knife is a gimmick.

Sorry, I wasn't accusing you in particular. I did say "if you are one of those people." My point to you was simply the usefulness of Tom's teachings.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts