Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many varieties that claim to be safe for use with septic systems, but aren't. Can anyone suggest some varieties to try? The kind I used with no problems in the past is no longer being produced.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Most of them are fine.
Try some different brands and use the ones that break down fastest went immersed.
You can put some in a jar of water and shake to test them.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,286 Posts
I'm not sure that you need to worry about using any "special" toilet paper specific to septic systems. I think most of them decompose just fine.

I've had a septic system for almost 50 years. Probably used dozens of different brands, and have never had any problems.

I pump it out about every five years. I asked the pumping guy this question, and he said he's never seen any problems with toilet paper in septic systems.

He used to see septic system problems in the past with disposable diapers. Especially the ones that had plastic in them. But he pointed out that most disposable items today are made to readily decompose, for environmental reasons.

If there are any brands out there labeled as being especially for septic systems, you're probably paying more for something that you don't need.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Even septic system safe paper can represent a lot of material to burden the system. My system has not needed pumping in 45 years of operation. My thought is that emulsion is not the only factor. The contribution to sludge will not be visible to the guy on the pump. As a precaution to keep it going I have been burning paper for about three years now.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Even septic system safe paper can represent a lot of material to burden the system. My system has not needed pumping in 45 years of operation. My thought is that emulsion is not the only factor. The contribution to sludge will not be visible to the guy on the pump. As a precaution to keep it going I have been burning paper for about three years now.
45 years is pretty incredible. Do you use bowl cleaners, blue cakes, etc?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I'm not sure that you need to worry about using any "special" toilet paper specific to septic systems. I think most of them decompose just fine.

I've had a septic system for almost 50 years. Probably used dozens of different brands, and have never had any problems.

I pump it out about every five years. I asked the pumping guy this question, and he said he's never seen any problems with toilet paper in septic systems.

He used to see septic system problems in the past with disposable diapers. Especially the ones that had plastic in them. But he pointed out that most disposable items today are made to readily decompose, for environmental reasons.

If there are any brands out there labeled as being especially for septic systems, you're probably paying more for something that you don't need.
I had a system backup once and called the honey dipper. After he was done, he came to the door and asked me if I had a teenage daughter. We walked out to the hole where he was pumping and there was a pile of feminine products surrounding the hole. I can't imagine flusing a diaper.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I remember one year back in the 90's I stayed at my Mom's and watched her dog while she traveled to Europe. She mentioned before she left she was going to have the septic tank pumped when she got back. While she was gone I called Tri-County septic and had the tank pumped. Upon her return she told me I didn't have to do that and I responded "Oh, yes I did."

When the tank is full, the tank is full.

As far as some company stating their toilet paper is septic system safe...Certs breath fresheners once advertised, in the 70's, they had a sparkling drop of retsyn. Ask what retsyn is and most people will tell you it is a mint, or some other form of breath freshening ingredient. What is it really? It's vegetable oil.

A guy I used to work with spoke about the male enhancement formulas that beautiful women vouched for as they advertised for them. He believed every word they said.

Please don't be that guy.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
In 35 years, 2 different houses, pumped out twice. Both times the septic guys, when asked, said it wasn't necessary. The 1st was at the ex's insistence because she just "knew" it was time. The 2nd turned out to be a fat/soap congealed clogged pipe as opposed to a full system. Toilet Paper is one of my few luxuries, nothing but the softest will do, perhaps in lifetime protest to the cardboardy stuff I put up with in the Army.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
We have an aerobic system... I guess it is smaller than regular septic systems. Waste flows through four chambers with an air pump in them. Then it gets a dose of bleach (it takes about 3gal/month of cheap household bleach), then it goes to the sprinkler system that sprays about 1/4 of our "front yard". Nothing up near the house but two pop-up sprinkler heads that spray in a circle, maybe 70 feet in diameter each. Up under the oak trees and then whatever runs off runs down the slope in the yard. Makes really nice green grass. Thick enough to choke out my brush hog if I have it set too low.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
In 35 years, 2 different houses, pumped out twice. Both times the septic guys, when asked, said it wasn't necessary. The 1st was at the ex's insistence because she just "knew" it was time. The 2nd turned out to be a fat/soap congealed clogged pipe as opposed to a full system. Toilet Paper is one of my few luxuries, nothing but the softest will do, perhaps in lifetime protest to the cardboardy stuff I put up with in the Army.
My system has a 1,000 gallon tank for the solids to settle in before the liquid goes out into drain field. I dip the tank each year to check how high the solids are. When it gets to 1/3 full I have it pumped, which is about every 10 years.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I'm not surprised. I bought my house from a family member. They had bought it in the mid 70s and had the tank pumped then. It had not been pumped again until I had it done in 2015. Why did I have it done? Tree roots had plugged the drain field so I needed to replace the field.

Don't plant pear trees and cherry bushes along side your drain field and it shouldn't matter what TP you use.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
A small town near my city had real problems with an aging sewer system. They said they had to reduce the volume going into the system for about a decade while they worked to upgrade it. The entire town was mandated to one brand of TP, no exceptions. It was Scott 1000. It's rate for septic. It's the recommended TP for RV use. Rolls actually last quite a while.

It is stiffer stuff and the women in that little town were crying for a year they wanted their Charmin back.

Instead they had a town meeting where utilities manager got on the men in the town to grow a backbone and teach their women that they don't get to use piles of the stuff for every light pee. It was funny as all hell watching them explain that you take 3 squares and learn to get 3 wipes with it. The ladies were just freaking out. They were saying they might get pee on their hand doing it that way. The utilities guy corrected them and said he was referring about job #2 and the only need 1 square for a pee break. The gals like to fainted as a group. But...but...but what if it gets on my hands?! Wash them, he says, and the place exploded with female outrage.

The point being that men and women have completely different expectations in the toilet. No brand of paper will solve much until you get the house women under control about TP use. Teen girls are the worst. They will wrap their hand until they make a mitten of TP just to deal with a pee job.

My advice to men is to order a bunch of MRE accessory kits. Inside is a tiny pack of TP. That's little bit is what troops get for a whole day out in the field. Learn to master that small amount for your needs and then make the women at home learn to cope with that limited amount. Expect a lot of hate heaped on you until they learn to cope.

But once you get people used to needing only 20 or so squares a day then it doesn't really matter what brand you choose because you stop clogging toilets and filling up your sewer/septic system.

I've grown lazy since I left the military decades ago, but a roll of Scott 1000 still lasts me a couple weeks. One of those 12 roll packs is good for almost a half year for me.

Learn TP discipline and the rest of the problems solve themselves.

Reactions: Srchdawg and JimET

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,288 Posts
Well........the members of this forum sure know a lot about poop systems, and butt'wipe. And I had apparently wrongly thought the knowledge level topped out at survival knives., and if it was appropriate to whack your knife with a log for either its misbehaving or splitting kindling....:D:;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
I am going to echo what others have said about a bidet. I have a bidet wand hooked up to the toilet plumbing. I use either one bit of TP to dry off, or I have rags that I wash with lots of bleach. Then I'm using zero TP.

If you have having issues with TP, someone said Marine TP, RV TP same thing. Can find RV TP at Walmart usually or other camping trailer stores. -K

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,712 Posts
Well........the members of this forum sure know a lot about poop systems, and butt'wipe. And I had apparently wrongly thought the knowledge level topped out at survival knives.
It's called being a homeowner in age of low flush toilets. You get to learn more than you ever expected to.

Of note for those considering adding a toilet sprayer, 85% of people live urban and those sprayers are typically against building code because they are a potential water damage hazard. Plus because the sprayers are more popular with Muslims the building code boards are unusually resistant to grant exceptions or change the code.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
A small town near my city had real problems with an aging sewer system. They said they had to reduce the volume going into the system for about a decade while they worked to upgrade it. The entire town was mandated to one brand of TP, no exceptions. It was Scott 1000. It's rate for septic. It's the recommended TP for RV use. Rolls actually last quite a while.

It is stiffer stuff and the women in that little town were crying for a year they wanted their Charmin back.

Instead they had a town meeting where utilities manager got on the men in the town to grow a backbone and teach their women that they don't get to use piles of the stuff for every light pee. It was funny as all hell watching them explain that you take 3 squares and learn to get 3 wipes with it. The ladies were just freaking out. They were saying they might get pee on their hand doing it that way. The utilities guy corrected them and said he was referring about job #2 and the only need 1 square for a pee break. The gals like to fainted as a group. But...but...but what if it gets on my hands?! Wash them, he says, and the place exploded with female outrage.

The point being that men and women have completely different expectations in the toilet. No brand of paper will solve much until you get the house women under control about TP use. Teen girls are the worst. They will wrap their hand until they make a mitten of TP just to deal with a pee job.

My advice to men is to order a bunch of MRE accessory kits. Inside is a tiny pack of TP. That's little bit is what troops get for a whole day out in the field. Learn to master that small amount for your needs and then make the women at home learn to cope with that limited amount. Expect a lot of hate heaped on you until they learn to cope.

But once you get people used to needing only 20 or so squares a day then it doesn't really matter what brand you choose because you stop clogging toilets and filling up your sewer/septic system.

I've grown lazy since I left the military decades ago, but a roll of Scott 1000 still lasts me a couple weeks. One of those 12 roll packs is good for almost a half year for me.

Learn TP discipline and the rest of the problems solve themselves.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 56 Posts