Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
Got slings on most of my long guns. If they have a swivel, I use it. I like swivelling things. I'm too old to hand tote something I don't have to. Using the gun might be five mins of the day....carrying it to and from here and there is 23 hours and 55 mins.

rich

·
Registered
7,198 Posts
IMO, a sling is incredibly useful. It helps lock in the firearm for more accurate shots and can free up your hands if they're needed for something other than carrying the boom stick.

For a dedicated, in the house, self defense shotgun I don't use one though. I wont be wrapping myself up in a hasty sling, or climbing out of a ditch while I'm in my house.

If anything I see the sling getting caught on door knobs or interfering with pump action of my Mossburg 500.

·
Texas Born and Raised
175 Posts
I have a single point sling on my HD 18.5 12ga. Connects to swivel point on the ATI top folding stock. On a hike out back, can easily have the barrel tucked back into the strap to have the hands free for other things. One snap latch and its as free as a bird. Also makes it much easier when back packing.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
If its just an hd gun then no, if you plan on using it as your primary long gun then put some swivles on it but keep the sling off unless its a grab and go sort of fire arm. In the context of this thread we are not talking about a "shtf" firearm. i have since switched all my two points to single points on all my "assult" weapons and my shotgun which has a pistol grip and a paracord/ bungee single point sling of sorts. The only rifles i have a two point on anymore are my "long range" rifles and my .22lr.

why? they get in the way too much and are of little to no use on a purly HD Weapon.

there is a reason police dont keep slings on their shotguns...think about it and go do some training.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Absolutely 100% a sling.

You may find your home defense gun isn't used in YOUR home.

Almost 20 years ago I was awakened by a faint light moving past my window. We lived in the mountains and nobody was ever up that late. I got my head out the front door just in time to see two guys with a flashlight heading up the creek. These weren't nighttime hikers ...and there was only one thing up that creek - a single woman who lived by herself half a mile down the trail.

I had my wife phone our neighbor and I grabbed the Glock and shotgun I kept next to the door. There was a shortcut path we locals knew over the top of the hill. Having the sling let me throw the shotgun over my back and carry it up the hill.

Long story short... I didn't get to play hero that night. By the time I got to my neighbors cabin she had already dealt with her uninvited late night callers. (it was kind of funny. As she said she greeted them on her front steps with her "big girl voice" and an M1 Benelli my wife and I had sold her just a week or so earlier.). She sent them packing with the fear of God put in them.

Bottom line... That sling gave me the ability to haul a long gun quickly up a rough trail. A long gun is much more valuable than a handgun outdoors... And I didn't have any plans of ever taking that gun further than my porch. It was just good fortune it had a sling. I had left home so quickly I didn't even grab an extra magazine for my Glock... So if my neighbor hadn't already dealt with the problem... I would have been a little short on fire power if I couldn't have slung that shotgun over my shoulder as I went out the door.

Since that night... Every long gun I own gets a sling... And I keep my main handgun with two extra magazines or speed loaders. You don't get to dictate the conditions under which you will need to use a weapon... So it is best to be prepared for unexpected scenarios.

(trivia... By remarkable coincidence... I just went by last Monday and picked up that Benelli. It had belonged to my first wife... And it is a blessing to have it back in the family.)

·
Registered
217 Posts
To sling or not to sling a home defense shotgun.....what do you think and why?
My shotgun has a sling, but its also for hunting. If it were just for HD then I wouldn't worry about a sling. They're really for carrying things long distance. Besides that I can imagine the sling snagging on something in the middle of the night when I'm trying to get that special somebody in my sights.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the only thing I see a sling possibly helping with indoors would be weapon retention.

·
Sweat more, bleed less!
3,153 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. But the only thing I see a sling possibly helping with indoors would be weapon retention.
I personally think it would do exactly the opposite. It’s just one more thing to get snagged or grabbed.

Magpull dynamics had some good things to say in their SG defense video.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I three point sling allows you to control the weapon. If you are using one, you can release the weapon to have your hands free, but not have to set the weapon down and risk loosing touch if there is a scuffle. If you have an intruder or are confronted in the open or urban environment, the three point sling prevents the weapon from being removed from your person. A weapon grabbed while using a three point slings brings the bad guy a gun with you attached! And in a mood to reciprocate to his bad intentions. The sling allows you to move the weapon, be it a shotgun or a rifle, to your back or carry in a patrol position. But most important, keep the weapon with you and not someone else!

·
happiness is a warm gun
790 Posts
I dont use slings on home defense shotguns. Just a shell holder on the stock and a light, thats it. In my opinion too easy to hang up a sling on something inside a house/close quarters or the small chance that it could interfere with the gun function itself like blocking a safety button. In the middle of the night in the dark I want it simple, bigtime.

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,862 Posts
there is a reason police dont keep slings on their shotguns...
Yeah, there is....they don't have to carry it for that 23 hours and 55 mins mentioned earlier. That's the *only* reason.

rich

·
Registered
36 Posts
I guess I have different ideas about slings for HD. I spent 5 years in a small PD, and now 20 years in a prison. I do agree with no sling on patrol long arms. Other than a sling for standing the wall for a full shift.
In all my HD scenarios I plan on grabbing the shotgun first. However I expect to need my hands to grab my kid, a phone, help my wife navigate in the dark. There are many things that need to be handled, closed, locked, dialed.
My choice for a sling is a two point tac sling. It drapes over my right shoulder and around my back to hold the shotgun muzzle down across my chest. It has quick cinch pulls to tighten it up to my chest or loosen for use. I chose a shotgun over a pistol because of the sling. Pistols kinda useless if I have to put it down to pick up my kid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
you don't have a holster?
Really?

I applaud you for wearing a holster to bed. Not to mention relaxing around the house every night 24/7 days a week, 357 days a year.

In my scenarios I can't see myself wearing a holster, much less ensuring that the casuals I wear having a pocket for a pistol.

I've mounted a shotgun behind the door that I close when I go to bed. Having said that all other arms around my house are short. Specifically for final defense and efficient hiding.
"Prowling" would get a long arm response, sudden invasion would get any means necessary. Including batons and knives randomly staged.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts