Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thank you for clicking the topic. i have a question about Canada. I have been doing a lot of thinking about possibly immigrating to Canada. i was wondering about gunlaws, property laws, and general pros and cons about Canada between the U.S.

My choice to maybe become a Canadian is i love the country, land seems cheap, from what i have gathered online realitors. I have been searching for land in the mid northern parts of the country, like near Lac Fiedmont Quebec, Canada. and similar places. basically, i just want to "disappear" from everyone, legaly* that is. i have seen some plots of land for sale up near there for as low as 50 acres for $20,000 USD. are these true prices or am i just finding nothing but scam realitor websites?

The set up i am planing is a self made log cabin and then basically homestead. Firearms are no biggy as all i want are a good hunting arm in a good caliber and a 22. i find that this place would be a good place to practice my bushcraft skills in a well deserving environment

anyway, i guess this is quite hastily typed. if you have any good answers please feel free to drop by a comment. i hope to learn some from this thread.

·
Don't **** with the Cub
558 Posts
The land prices are as specified, and are especially cheap the farther north you go because there are vast tracks fo wilderness. Lots of places to 'get lost'. Handguns are difficult to get and also difficult to legally use - lots of rules. Guns for hunting require you to take a hunter's safety course, then apply for an FAC (firearms acquisition certificate) so you can use AND buy weapons. Taxes are higher in Canada, but are more geared to income than the US so if you make only a little cash, your income tax will be nil. (You will get a refund at tax time). Property taxes are cheap if in a rural area. People tend to be polite and mind their own business>

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks guys for the feed. back. I'll check that site out Borgnine. Handguns are no big deal here, i only have a hipoint 45 and can easily part with it, as for the 5 round capacity for centerifre. thats no biggy either as both my centerfire hunting rifles are 5 rounds. Thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just to add to the emigration debate: My mother used to work for Immigration Canada, and to be allowed to emigrate to Canada you have to provide a needed skill (doctor, engineer, CEO, etc), be willing to act as entry level labor (nanny, short-order cook, cab driver, etc) or arrive with a bank account of $250,000+. And you still have to clear the legal background check (a DUI conviction is enough to get your application denied). I had a lady friend who wanted to emigrate to Canada, had 10 years experience as a bonded bank teller, social worker experience, and met all the legal check criteria. She was denied because her skills were deemed 'not in demand'.

So be warned; if you are expecting to come to Canada to build a BOL and drop off the grid (legally), you do face some difficult hurdles.

·
Banned
1,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to add to the emigration debate: My mother used to work for Immigration Canada, and to be allowed to emigrate to Canada you have to provide a needed skill (doctor, engineer, CEO, etc), be willing to act as entry level labor (nanny, short-order cook, cab driver, etc) or arrive with a bank account of $250,000+. And you still have to clear the legal background check (a DUI conviction is enough to get your application denied). I had a lady friend who wanted to emigrate to Canada, had 10 years experience as a bonded bank teller, social worker experience, and met all the legal check criteria. She was denied because her skills were deemed 'not in demand'.

So be warned; if you are expecting to come to Canada to build a BOL and drop off the grid (legally), you do face some difficult hurdles.
well, i have no criminal back ground, DUI's or speeding tickets so i'm fine on that part. but on the skills part, hmmm, i might have to figure out something on that, unless i win the lotto and donate some money to a park or something :p Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Canada is full of criminal immigrants (refugees), I don't think it would be too difficult to move here. Just tell them you're a draft dodger.

This coming from a resident of the province that tried to secede from Confederation. Illegally. Twice. And provided the only homegrown terrorist group (FLQ) to behave in such a way that martial law (The War Measures Act) was invoked by Parliament and the Prime Minister.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This coming from a resident of the province that tried to secede from Confederation. Illegally. Twice. And provided the only homegrown terrorist group (FLQ) to behave in such a way that martial law (The War Measures Act) was invoked by Parliament and the Prime Minister.
You dont agree with him that there is a large amount of criminal immigrants in Canada? You must not visit large citites very often...

·
Registered
258 Posts
@Mapcinq - Unless you are a descendant of the First Nations everyone is an immigrant in Canada.

Have some criminals entered Canada using immigration and refugee status? Undoubtedly.

Is every immigrant a criminal? That would be a very bigoted point of view, wouldn't it?

Unless you are willing to treat every immigrant with the same intolerant, prejudiced view, no matter their country of origin, socio-economic background, or religion, you can't make broad statements that all immigrants are criminals.

Try a different point of view: Imagine you and your family belong to a group that your home government has publicly announced are no longer welcome, or are even citizens. You are stripped of your land, wealth and cultural heritage. You decide to make the long, difficult and expensive journey to a new country, to rebuild. You are turned away by England, Australia, the US... in fact, almost every country that could accept immigrants doesn't because of economic or social prejudice. That leaves you with Canada, who as a signatory to the Declaration of Human Rights, must accept true refugees.

You arrive in Canada, by what ever means, through whichever port of entry, and are detained, interrogated, suspected, and ultimately, dropped into a community that suspects you and only offers the lowest paid, most demeaning labor as your only employment. You work very hard, often at a job you are vastly overqualified to do, as your credentials are not recognized by the Canadian government, and manage to save a small amount to raise your family, as well as provide for those of your family back home who could not escape.

True, there others in your community who take advantage of the relative freedom in Canada to commit crimes, but they are a small minority of troublemakers. But because of them, you have to work even harder against mounting prejudice that you are NOT a criminal, and that not everyone from you background is a criminal.

This is what every non-European, non-Christian immigrant faces every time they arrive, and it has been that way for two centuries now.

·
The last of the Ravens
1,755 Posts

or just marry someone here ;) then its real easy...
or just sneak in and claim political assylum ;)

·
Registered
596 Posts
And...
WTF does Quebec Nationalist treason have to do with me, or my opinion. Do you assume that because I live in Quebec that I'm French and/or support that **** or something? I find your words VERY insulting.

You're reading all kinds of **** into my post that isn't there.
What I said was:
People from all across the planet find their way to this country by ILLEGAL means, and the Government doesn't kick them out.
Toronto is full of Jamaican gang bangers that get convicted of violent crimes and they aren't deported.
If the OP is of good character and wants to live here, I don't see how it would be too difficult.

You seem to have some kind of chip on your shoulder.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts