Survivalist Forum banner

Chose your Barrel!

• Mil spec Chrome Lined

Votes: 28 54.9%
  • Chrome Moly

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • Cold hammer forged

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • no difference to me, as long as it goes bang and hits the target.

Votes: 14 27.5%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get an idea of what everyone things about Chrome lined bbl vs Chrome moly on AR-15 style rifles.

From what i've heard Chrome lined is longer lasting, more durable, ie why military spec is Chrome lined,

Also heard Chrome moly is more accurate...

Also heard Cold hammer forged is good also...although I think only Sig 556 Rifles use this.

What does everyone think? I see alot of uppers offered at good prices, but they are not Chrome Lined...is my military side making me want chrome lined for no reason or is Chrome Moly just fine for us Civvies waiting for SHTF.

I'm not a spray and pray guy, my rifles get shot very little, usually sighted in and then stored for Just In Case.

For SHTF i'm guessing Mil spec Chrome Lined is better, but has anyone bought a Chrome Moly and is happy with their choice?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Supposedly it's hard to get a chrome lined barrel right now, as there are only a few places in the country that have licences to do it, and right now LE/Mil demands are so high...

Chrome lined barrels are less accurate than chrome moly, but marginally. They're easier to clean, can handle corrosive ammunition types and weather conditions (ie salt air/water), and supposedly last longer.

Moly is cheaper, a bit tougher to clean, and slightly more accurate.

Unless you're shooting competetion, you probably wont notice a difference in accuracy one way or another.

What I've never understood, though, is since chrome aparently doesn't like heat, why the military would use it with automatic weapons... Beats me...

Anyhow, if you get moly, keep the barrel lightly lubed to prevent corrosion.

But like anything, use it occasionally or when you need it, it may fail.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Wanted to get an idea of what everyone things about Chrome lined bbl vs Chrome moly on AR-15 style rifles.

From what i've heard Chrome lined is longer lasting, more durable, ie why military spec is Chrome lined,

Also heard Chrome moly is more accurate...

Also heard Cold hammer forged is good also...although I think only Sig 556 Rifles use this.

What does everyone think? I see alot of uppers offered at good prices, but they are not Chrome Lined...is my military side making me want chrome lined for no reason or is Chrome Moly just fine for us Civvies waiting for SHTF.

I'm not a spray and pray guy, my rifles get shot very little, usually sighted in and then stored for Just In Case.

For SHTF i'm guessing Mil spec Chrome Lined is better, but has anyone bought a Chrome Moly and is happy with their choice?
it will probubly not matter when tshtf. you will likely not out live a well maintained steal barrel that is not lined. just have a reliable, functional rifle with plenty of ammo and the skill to use and maintain. have replacement parts and multiples of the same weapon for interchangability. save the cash for other preps and get 5 good USA made AK-47 variants. and you will be ahead of 95% of the population. GOOD LUCK.

·
Ham Extra Class
3,267 Posts
I own both chrome moly and chrome lined and see no difference.
However if given a choice of the two I would take the chrome lined.

·
Registered
33 Posts
it will probubly not matter when tshtf. you will likely not out live a well maintained steal barrel that is not lined. just have a reliable, functional rifle with plenty of ammo and the skill to use and maintain. have replacement parts and multiples of the same weapon for interchangability. save the cash for other preps and get 5 good USA made AK-47 variants. and you will be ahead of 95% of the population. GOOD LUCK.
+1 on it not mattering. I agree that at the rate most people shoot their rifles, the rifles will outlive them for sure. My money is spent on preps I can eat, drink and use daily.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get a quality 4150 chrome lined barrel or don't waste your money.Much easier to clean,won't rust and more reliable!You'll never notice a difference in acuracy.The rife may save your life someday,why skimp on a $50-difference :confused:.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Chrome lined barrel have a better barrel life, easier to clean and too keep clean.
No worries on the inside of the barrel rusting..
When the military does it for several years now and many different kinds
of weapons like AKs, M1As, as well fals so how could you be wrong in doing a barrel in chrome.......
Just my.02

·
Registered
213 Posts
Refer to post #1.
They are not hard to get,PLEANTY of complete AR's and uppers that are CL can be purchased and shipped right now.Non CL barrels also can have extraction problems,split cases,FTE's ect...I've had these happen to me.After that i started buying top tier components,and most problems are gone.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
They are not hard to get,PLEANTY of complete AR's and uppers that are CL can be purchased and shipped right now.Non CL barrels also can have extraction problems,split cases,FTE's ect...I've had these happen to me.After that i started buying top tier components,and most problems are gone.
Just going by what the main arms dealer in the capital of NY told me. Doesn't necessarily mean it's true, but I have a feeling they know what they're talking about.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good question BillT,,I didn't even think of adding that,,I was thinking tactical, and haven't seen too many guys buy a SS gun and then paint it for a more tactical look,,,BillT do you have any experience with SS BBL vs the chrome lined or chrome moly?

·
Banned
3,508 Posts
My consensus equates to that of the masses. Accuracy.... 4140 or Stainless Steel. Longevity....Chrome lined. Chrome Moly falls in between both of them, and is a good compromise of both, sometimes providing better accuracy than Stainless Steel depending on type of manufacture. Hammer forged, button rifled, hand lapped, etc. Bill T.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
In a SHTF situation, I would think chrome is the way to go. Dont forget a chrome bolt carrier...or a couple. I read a book recently about weapons used in Afganistan by multiple branches. The chrome fellers had less wear and higher dependability. jmho

·
Registered
506 Posts
Well, it really depends upon what they came with...

My two PTRs, PTR MSG-91 and PTR 32KFR both came with chromed barrels. Likewise, my two WASR 10/63s.

My Polish AKMS is unchromed, and since it goes into the shower with me, like the WASR 10/63s, I don't worry about corrosion, or powder build-up from Soviet era/or Russian style ammo. Just soak the heck out of them with Simple Green, scrub thoroughly with my Otis cleaning kits, especially the neat little tools I used to use cleaning my AR BCGs, and then while they're still hot from the shower's hot water, blow them out with a small compressor. Soak liberally with Rem Oil or CLP, wait a few hours, then blow out the residue. Voila! Good to go...

Chrome is nice, but frankly, I don't think I've got enough time to send my AKMS barrel off for a chrome job, and anyway, I've got a spare barrel, chromed, that should be arriving any day. Problem is, it'll have to wait until I get out of Kaliphornia, to have it swapped out...

IF you take care of your weapon, and keep its internals clean, you're okay...

OldArcher, out...

·
Registered
200 Posts
There are precious few people who will shoot their AR enough for the chrome to really make a difference.

What, 30-40k rounds?

I shoot a thousand to two thousand AR rounds a year and consider myself a heavy user compared to most AR users.

That's about two decades before I wear out a single un-lined barrel.

I think I'll be okay. Especially as I've got a half-dozen of them.

As for accuracy, here's what I can do with my carbine... I can shoot this particular rifle one to two minutes of angle, and I expect a better shooter could do better.

John

·
Registered
213 Posts
There are precious few people who will shoot their AR enough for the chrome to really make a difference.

What, 30-40k rounds?

I shoot a thousand to two thousand AR rounds a year and consider myself a heavy user compared to most AR users.

That's about two decades before I wear out a single un-lined barrel.

I think I'll be okay. Especially as I've got a half-dozen of them.

As for accuracy, here's what I can do with my carbine... I can shoot this particular rifle one to two minutes of angle, and I expect a better shooter could do better.

John
So,your claiming 30-40K life from a non lined barrel???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts